(Topic ID: 65745)

Why can't Stern finish code?

By dangerwil

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are games sold with missing parts in the software?”

• No one can say, the magician works his magic behind the curtain. 3 votes
      3%
    • There is not enough time in the development cycle to finish everything. 49 votes
      53%
    • The manufacturer feels the need for updates only to drive sales. 35 votes
      38%
    • Why you gotta be hatin on Stern? 5 votes
      5%

(92 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sad_panda.jpg
    2263308-South-Park-rabble-rabble-rabbl.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepita007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

Because people are buying them. Stop buying incomplete games and make your voice heard.

This is so funny it's stupid. You obviously have no idea how difficult coding can be, in any language. Heck, you can easily spend a hour, day *or* week just tracking down a bug, especially if the events leading up to the bug appear to be random.
    And the sound effects and animations are not "just there", someone had to create and tune these.

Yup. No clue.

I cannot speak directly towards how stern handles their codebase, However from firsthand knowledge of software development work, the company creates a standard base code which can be applied to all future projects. This codebase includes all the functions to operate the machine. This process means development time is reduced because you are not starting from square one. If this is how stern is handling their development it means the programmer simply adds the animation, sounds, and functions for the game modes. This can still be a lengthy process to create and debug the added programming. Pinball machines from a software development standpoint with regards to the logic involved are not that complicated. Antiquated programming requirements for outdated hardware is what is causing stern such a headache especially when it comes time to debug a game. This forces programmer to create workarounds for codebase and/or hardware design flaws. Then we come to the human factor people become pompous and arrogant especially older programmers who relish the old days. If your in the computer field you know what I mean, there is always that one person who does something ass backwards because that's how its always been done, despite knowing there are far more efficient solutions.

just my .02, feel free to nitpick my post its why this site is enjoyable.

#102 10 years ago

double post ignore this one.

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Keith Johnson on how the programming is set up for the JJP pins:
    PM: Now that the system software is mostly complete, do you expect that programming The Hobbit will take less time?
    KJ: Oh it will take far less time. With Wizard of Oz, if I wanted to implement something it could be that I hadn’t written the subtext yet. So I needed to finish that first before I could continue with the thing that I was working on.
    With pretty much everything written and out of the way I think it’s going to be far easier to get the game code done. We now have pretty much everything in place that we needed to have in place. We can concentrate on content rather than building blocks, if you know what I mean.
    http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1511

Bingo exactly what I explained in my post! nice to know at least one pinball company follows best practices.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepita007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-cant-stern-finish-code?tu=thepita007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.