Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by smokey_789
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

how_it_comes_out_.jpg
    glass_slide_removed_and_cut.jpg
    hinge.png
    33191-01-200.jpg
    metric_socket_head_cap_screw.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rabscuttle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

There's that ONE spot in our game room that could hold an additional pin, except there isn't enough room in front of it to slide the glass off. You know the spot. I bet lots of you have one too. And one additional pin is not a trivial matter when you're an addict.

Why do we still have to slide the glass off that way, I'm wondering? Could someone make a rail mod or maybe manufacturers could start designing the rails (I know, less likely) so that they snap open upward-like? Then the glass could basically be lifted out (or still slid out if you really want to be retro about it). It'd still have the lock bar keeping it from sliding out of course. I know those rails come off for powder-coating and such, so they could be replaced with modded ones if such a thing existed.

The awkward little dance you do, half bent over, getting the glass into the slots to slide in is just embarrassing. We are better than this!

Is there something structurally I'm missing that would make this impossible?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

In a home environment, do you even need tops to the rails at all? The back could be held by a standard channel, the sides sit on rails with no top, and the the front has a standard lockbar.

For a game with a shaker you might, to keep it from rattling, but if it were sitting on a soft or insulating strip of some kind, maybe not. On the other hand, if there were no top piece of metal rail holding the glass on, what would it even rattle against?

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Seems like it would eliminate most of those cons if someone just made a set of rails with a piano hinge so you could rotate the rail top out but leave the glass in place. Eliminate the bottom half of the channel and have the glass rest on a static rail on the inside.

That's pretty much what I was envisioning, spot on. Just rails with the top part hinged. *wishes*

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rabscuttle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-cant-someone-make-flip-top-rails?tu=rabscuttle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.