Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0019-686.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Because it's a masterpiece, that's why.

Okay, so the game drives me nuts when it needs fixing love. It tried my patience for sure, but the whole time I'm ''under the hood'' of this game thinking about showing it the door, I would think back to the shots, flow and just plain fun this game provides...and press on.

I have to admit, I was not a Star Trek fan in the least when I bought this. It actually came in a package deal that happened while at the sellers house. I really had no interest in buying it, but the price was right, and I figured it would be fun to play maybe, for a short while.

First impressions even, left me feeling like eh. Seemed simple, and not too many modes...modes that repeat often. Is it going to wear on me?

But I couldn't seem to stop playing...and I played...and I played some more. At night, I visted Netflix and dove into the show! (after being advised by a pinhead that season 3 and up is where it's at)
I remember being a kid and quickly changing the channel when it came on at night to Carson or Letterman! (Carnac the magnificent!

But the game is too fun...The shots feel so great. Nailing the spinner, to the side ramp never gets old. The modes even , don't get old. It's all about pounding up as much as possible in the modes and keeping that ball away from the nasty drains. And when you finally pound into Final Frontier, your shots REALLY mean something then, total adrenaline rush. There is always something to shoot for, with the neutral zone, lock, or modes, man...

this is one great game to play. I can't say it's one great game to fix, however

#2 9 years ago

Ramp it up a notch with the custom speech roms

#4 9 years ago

I bought some new ROMs on ebay and had a friend burn them from IPD. Funny callouts like Picard saying "we will never surrender--unless you pay us enough! And nurse saying "you realize that most of my patients die." etc.etc.

#6 9 years ago

You can't stop playing it... because it is one of the best games ever made and genuinely challenging.

It has great theme integration, a decent variety of modes, a few surprising stacking opportunities, great lighting choreography, availability of a color display... and at half the price of a Stern Trek LE that is half as loaded.

And it is hard enough to not be susceptible to games that last forever when you have played it a tonne in your home.

So, why would you stop playing it aside to fix something now and then?

#7 9 years ago

ST:TNG a purchased in 1998. I love the proximity sensors that add super cool sound effects when the pinball passes over them. The cannons /probes are one of the best toy's ever. the voices of the original cast. great rules. Cool video mode. When I get burned out on pinball . I will not play for months at a time. I always come back to ST:TNG at some point. The custom speech ROM sounds 'cheesy' to me. The voice overs are spot on .I would not change them. IMO. You need an external subwoofer . It is really cool. I added PinBits right lane extender help a little with the ball staying in play.

100_0019-686.JPG100_0019-686.JPG
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

The custom speech ROM sounds 'cheesy' to me.

Don't know if you have heard them, but you only hear a couple during a game and most of them are only heard when you add credits--all can be heard at the end of the game by pressing the flipper buttons.

#9 9 years ago

I love STTNG.

In fact, IMHO, the TNG pinball is to STID pinball what preAbrams ST is to Abrams ST. For me, the newest ST pin is style over substance. It's beautiful and bright, but so SHALLOW compared to TNG.

#10 9 years ago

dont shoot me, but...

i still not find a bit of pleasure playing this game
every time i gave it another chance, its the same boring feeling
and yes, the outlanes & external slingshot rebound, even more when TILT is sensitive...

of course, we cant all have same taste & feeling, and its a good thing

1 month later
#11 9 years ago

I too reckon this is an epic game, THAT despite the 'SOD' breaking within 15mins of being delivered. (Broken resistor leg on the OPTO emitter board in the trough, tough fault for someone new to pinball)
Anyway, now all up and running I love it however I think that the flipper return frame might have been extended. Not sure i'm trying to find a picture to compare with mine.

#12 9 years ago

Its an awesome game with great replay value. I've had mine for 4 years and its still my #1. Its a game that has to be dialed in though. Before I picked mine up I played a route beater and thought to myself...well this game sucks. Then later I played a nice example and that was all I needed to be converted.

It has everything, great theme, bunches of cool toys, cool DMD animations, flow, modes (+ 3 video), sound package, great modability, original cast voice callouts. The best shot is getting the rear ball lock during Borg MB for a super jackpot and then having those bastards fire it back at you. Never gets old.

#13 9 years ago

I don't know that I've played a game that is SOOO different when it's set up and maintained properly. It completely sucks out in the wild, but it's awesome at home.

#14 9 years ago

Love it so much to discover everytime

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 15.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-cant-i-stop-playing-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.