(Topic ID: 57377)

Why can't I find a straight answer anywhere to this LED question...Please help!

By chinosts

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RobKnapp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0107.JPG
led-placements.jpg
Flex_LED.jpeg
555_bulb.jpg
44_bulb.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chinosts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I want to replace some of the lights on my STTNG with LEDs and have been looking on Cointtaker for some nice replacements.. What I can't figure out is the whole 44/47 vs 555 LEDS.

E.g. Im looking at some frosted premiums to start with but I can see there are two types in that section...

From what I can tell they are different sockets... so which LED type (44 or 555) should I get???

#5 10 years ago

THANKYOU!!!! That confirms what I thought it meant.. So I'm guessing you can't put a 555 bulb in a 44 and vice versa?

If that is the case, I can see that some people have used 555s for some of their LEDs.. I can see from just looking at the playfield that some of the lights eg. Klingon Bird of Prey uses the bayonet style lights...

Mmmmmm confused still...

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The game uses a combination of both. The GI is all 44's, but the controlled lamps are a mix. Check out this photo of the underside of the playfield:
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album367/26_G?full=1

Arrrh ok... thanks heaps!!! I will do my research....and try and get a definative led type before ordering...

Cheers.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Correct. One doesn't fit in the other. Take a look at yours and you'll see. The ones in the circuit boards are probably blade type 555, while the others are probably bayonette 44s. Before you drop the money, open it up and see what you have.

Thanks dude... looks like this is what I am going to have to do.. I was just trying to avoid it if possible.. just got my machine this week...its awesome but seems like it may be a little tempermental. I took the glass off to clean the underside as there were a few finger prints and when I put it back on and switched it on it came up with 'check switch f7 spinner'...The spinner was working ok so I ignored it and today the message is no longer coming up.. weird but I guess this is the world we live in...

Post edited by chinosts : I made an incorrect assumption on who may have left finger prints on my pinball glass. I therefore removed this statement due to potential confusion.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

It probably wasn't played in a while, thats why the switch test came up. Once you hit the spinner the machine knows it works and clears the error. You will get it a lot with the borg ship lock unless your good at hitting it.

Ok really??? Did does that? Talk about giving a man a heart attack!

Thanks heaps for the info!

#12 10 years ago

Ok so here are the areas that I want to do first.. Could someone tell me what bulb types (44, 555 or flashers) are required for each 'zone'.

Zone 1:left out lane
Zone 2: Right out lane
Zone 3: left under plastic
Zone 4: Middle shield indicators
Zone 5: right under plastics
Zone 6: Kingon Bird of prey
Zone 7: Pop bumpers and lane lights (not sure if this is the real name for them)
Zone 8: Romulan Warbird

Cheers!

led-placements.jpgled-placements.jpg

#20 10 years ago

Yep I'm extremely new to owning a Pinball but I do know how to lift the playfield... Hey I even know that I should remove the balls first!

Awesome.... Thanks for everyone's help...

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

In that case, you should definitely open her up and take a look. Most (maybe all?) of the general illumination bulbs will be bayonet sockets, most of the inserts will be 555 style, and some (like the shield inserts and more) will require the flex head LEDs.

Yep sound advice... I'm also feeling a bit silly because I checked the manual (after everyone advising me to do so) and I can clearly see a detailed diagrams on where all the #44s, #555s and Flashers go... Man I feel dumb.

Sorry again for being such a noob everyone...

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from balbers:

Of course, this begs the question: How many pinball noobs does it take to change a lightbulb?

Ha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chinosts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-cant-i-find-a-straight-answer-anywhere-to-this-led-questionplease-help?tu=chinosts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.