(Topic ID: 253043)

Why Cancer SUCKS... Because it takes away your loved ones.

By HemiOrange09

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_121605 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I am not one to post about my personal life, because I have a pinball business.... But I can not keep this inside me anymore.

My Father Joe and my Best Friend, my Brother Jim (for 30 years), both have been fighting cancer and both were taken away from me in less then a week apart. I have 2 funerals this week and this is why CANCER SUCKS.

My Father Joe was fighting stage 4 throat cancer and he never complained for a second about what he was going through for 4.5 years. He was on a feed tube for +2.5 years because he could not swallow anymore and my mother took care of him at home, until he passed away just over a week ago. Her love for him is/was un-measurable, she promised him she would not put him in a nursing home. I was there when he passed away with my family and it was one of the hardest things I had to do.....

But wait cancer isn't finished haunting me yet. My Best Friend Jim was fighting stage 4 pancreatic cancer for a year and was doing good considering what it is. Jim was more then just my best friend... He was a brother to me, our kids grew up together, we did everything together. He was not feeling good and then all of a sudden, he had a stroke about 10 days ago. The Doctors couldn't get to the part of his brain that was effected and having stage 4 cancer also hindered anything they could do for him. So his wishes were to go into Hospice care home to be bed ridden until he could not fight anymore. Yesterday, his wife, 5 Sons (2 are active military, Air Force and Navy) and 8 Grand Children (all 6 yrs to 2 months old) lost him to cancer/stroke. I cry everyday and sometimes several times a day, because I have lost my loved ones to cancer.

I hate to ask this for my BFF Jim, because he was a strong person and did not like to ask for help only when he absolute needed it ...One of Jim's friends set up a Fund Me page to help out with the expenses of Hospice and some of the funeral cost...If you help out in anyway for his family, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will post 1 picture of Jim after his stroke in bed. He is seeing his new 2 month old Grand Daughter from his oldest son in the Navy for the 1st time. Jim's wife is showing her to him and his eyes lite up, but he could not speak, but he knew who this little person is.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-the-chick-family?pc=fb_dn_postdonate_r&rcid=r01-157038923703-1eeba96dab1f4032&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_dn_postdonate_r&fbclid=IwAR0S0j5b26d3WeibVJCmc5EWqVFFlrMQfEz4BKp35afFuFqNxk84edW3AHc

Thank you everyone for your support over the years,

Steve
MI Pinball Refinery
20190929_121605 (resized).jpg20190929_121605 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I’m so sorry Steve. My thoughts a prayers are with you

#3 4 years ago

Man...no words...do the best you can bud...we are here for support............Joey

#4 4 years ago

Oh man, I think if it were me, I'd probably just sit in a corner rocking and crying for a while. That's a heavy hand to be dealt. I'm truly sorry.

#5 4 years ago

Thank you for sharing.

Fuck cancer

#6 4 years ago

OMG, Steve. So sorry for your losses. Keep your chin up, man.

#7 4 years ago

My condolences Steve.
Mike

#8 4 years ago

Steve, that is a heartbreaking picture and quick reflection of one's life and love, I am so sorry.

#9 4 years ago

Steve, so sorry to hear about your losses. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I hate cancer.

#10 4 years ago

1-10-1994. Lost my mom to lung cancer. She was a non smoker.

My heart goes out to you.

#11 4 years ago

Thoughts and prayers, may both your Dad and best friend have no more pain and be in peace. Always remember the good times and your memories together to ease your pain.
Harley D.

#12 4 years ago

So sorry to hear of your losses. I lost my dad a while ago and my best friend recently and it is really tough. Best wishes to you.

#14 4 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss. Cancer is horrible! I was diagnosed last July and was treated from August thro November . I lost 50 pounds in 4 months going from 185 to 135. I’m still recovering but am lucky in that it appears my treatment was successful. If anyone reading this ever thinks something is not right with their or friends and family health seek medical attention immediately! I went from having a bad sore throat for a week to diagnosis of stage 2-3 throat/tonsil cancer in less than 3 weeks. I’ve also never smoked and am not a heavy drinker. Steve, it’s always nice to see you at Allentown and my thoughts are with you and your family.

#15 4 years ago

I'm sorry for your losses Steve. That's terrible news. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone, as do my sincere condolences.

#16 4 years ago

That is tragic, sorry to hear this.
I had Hodgkin lymphoma and was given 50/50, that was 10 years ago. It’s terrible for everyone around you especially your kids.
Our family has lost a few way too early because of shitty cancer.

Feel for you.

#17 4 years ago

Sorry for your loss. May time and memories bring you peace.

F cancer!

Working every day to try and kill it and help those with it.

#18 4 years ago

Lost my twin brother to cancer last November at the age of 45.It literally feels like a part of me has died too. Hard to explain if you are not a twin. CANCER SUCKS!

#19 4 years ago

Lost my twin brother to cancer last November at the age of 45.It literally feels like a part of me has died too. Hard to explain if you are not a twin. CANCER SUCKS!

#20 4 years ago

See, he is still messing with me!^^^

#21 4 years ago

Prayers for you and your family, Steve.
You have my empathy.

#22 4 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, postings and any/all contributions that are made or will be make to my BFF Jim's family.... Thank you.

Words can not describe how sad/hurt I feel. But I know others have been through this, loosing loved ones at some point in their life. I cherish the times I had with my Father and my Best Friend, they are priceless.

I am sorry I am crying right now...I would like everyone to tell their families and friends how much you care for one another and be kind to others. A hug or a smile are a wonderful gift to give.

If anyone is fighting cancer, fight it with every fiber of yourself until it's gone. I am praying for you as well.

#23 4 years ago

man, i feel your pain...almost. my father is a survivor of stage 4 throat cancer, he had a 5% chance of survival. i suppose it's in our genetics, so i had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at age 40, which required removal of polyps. if you people haven't had these minor exams yet, go out and get them done.

f cancer, shit is lame.

#24 4 years ago

I wish I knew the words to comfort you Steve. I am sorry you and your family lost loved ones.

LTG : (

#25 4 years ago

very sorry steve. and yes, F*** cancer...

#26 4 years ago

Damn sorry to hear! Many family members on my mothers side have been claimed by the C word, not her as yet, she is currently a breast cancer survivor but still smokes like a freight train, I guess since it wasn't lung cancer???

Prayers for you and your family.

#27 4 years ago

Hang in there man, sorry for your loss.I feel your pain I have stage 4 colon cancer, and you are right cancer SUCKS.

#28 4 years ago

Thanks for posting your story. Cancer scares the crap out of me. It could hit anyone of us at any time and I shudder to think about any of my loved ones getting it. My heart goes out to you.

#29 4 years ago

Pretty much sums it up.

#30 4 years ago

Sorry for your loss. Lost my Dad and then my uncle to cancer within a year of each other. Fucking blows. Hang in there.

#31 4 years ago

Hang in there and keep your chin up. I lost my mother to cancer. It was tough, even though she also had dimensia and was in her 80s, it still felt like cancer cheated her out of some of her life. I lost my dad 3 years earlier. I lost my sister last year to immune difficiency. I'm the last one standing in my childhood family. You feel very mortal when family passes, but you need to move on with fond memories of the past. I needed a distraction beyond my own family. Pinball was a good escape for me. Well ... now we're up to our 11th pinball machine in 5 years. Our game room is called the Escape Room. The emptiness is still there and sometimes I just need to escape for a bit. Find a good distraction for when you really need it. That doesn't make it go away, but it helps to get through tough periods of time. Yes, cancer sucks.

#32 4 years ago

So sorry to hear this. Lost my aunt and uncle to cancer. It absolutely sucks!!!

#33 4 years ago

Again thank you everyone for your support...

#34 4 years ago

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers for you. I lost my dad and 21 year old nephew 3 months apart back in 2011.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

Again thank you everyone for your support...

It's hard to imagine what you've been through, Steve, losing both your father and brother. I lost my father to cancer about 4 years ago. Lived to be almost 88 and fucking cancer took him from us.

You've got my condolences, man.

#36 4 years ago

Steve, So sorry to hear this terrible news. Stay strong and I hope to see you soon. Praying for you, KK

#37 4 years ago

As a melanoma survivor who is supposed to be careful every time he goes out into the sun, but isn't, and have also lost people to other forms of the disease, I don't know what else to say but yes, cancer is bitch.

Sorry for your losses and try to keep the faith.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-cancer-sucks-because-it-takes-away-your-loved-ones?hl=lostcause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.