(Topic ID: 252752)

Why can't anyone else do a TOPPER like CGC?

By iceman44

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4749 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4747 (resized).JPG
    Fish-Tales9a (resized).jpg
    A758CC8A-7D11-4994-866F-7519FC753F4D (resized).jpeg
    8B757D56-4E08-4F3A-82F5-4C5DE3BDFF16 (resized).jpeg
    2F338ADB-A375-49BA-AB2E-0C6D2F93DF6E (resized).jpeg
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

MBRLE is a gorgeous pinball machine. Colors, lighting, etc. etc.

The topper works in conjunction with the above. Sculpted figures, awesome integrated lighting etc.

AFMrLE was as good.

I've got a TWDLE fish tank head topper and BM66LE topper. They aren't integrated well and basically SUCK by comparison.

My WH20 topper from 25 years ago also blows everything else away.

Take a cue from CGC people!!!

#2 4 years ago

I was playing AFMrLE the other day thinking the same thing.

#3 4 years ago

Whirlwind is the best topper.
    It blows everthing away

#4 4 years ago

Game of thrones for the win.

#5 4 years ago

I'm sure if other companies could come with one customers don't mind
    paying an extra grand or more for, they would be all over it.

#6 4 years ago

I haven't seen a topper that comes close to what CGC has produced....I would say AFMRLE is a tad better than MBRLE...All the Stern and JJP toppers suck by comparison....JJP's POTC CE model was decent, but still not in the same league....JJP's crappy plastic toppers are the worst....

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I haven't seen a topper that comes close to what CGC has produced.

If the Hobbit topper Lorenzo was working on ever got made. It would have been close.

LTG : )

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If the Hobbit topper Lorenzo was working on ever got made. It would have been close.

I'll take your word for it....I haven't seen it

#9 4 years ago

I really enjoyed the Ghostbusters topper

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I'll take your word for it....I haven't seen it

Might be pictures out there or on Pinside. As I recall it was kind of the front of the Hobbit house. And the door would open when you start the game and close when the game was over. I'm sure software was never written for it. Licensing, time frame, or cost I believe killed it.

1 week later
    #11 4 years ago

Looks like CGC knocked it out of the part again with the new MMR topper

#12 4 years ago

I think Ghostbusters now wins this category thanks to the recent code updates for the game. There's a lot of cool toppers out there but very few actually interact with games mode and even fewer that pull off multiple effects throughout the game. The Ghostbusters topper does that.

#13 4 years ago

I don't get the appeal of toppers.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think Ghostbusters now wins this category thanks to the recent code updates for the game. There's a lot of cool toppers out there but very few actually interact with games mode and even fewer that pull off multiple effects throughout the game. The Ghostbusters topper does that.

AFMRLE wins hands down

#15 4 years ago

Yes they have to produce better toppers, I think everyone is over the cheap etch plexiglass look

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Yes they have to produce better toppers, I think everyone is over the cheap etch plexiglass look

yea...JJP toppers on their $10K machines (WOZ, POTC) is embarrassing

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Might be pictures out there or on Pinside. As I recall it was kind of the front of the Hobbit house. And the door would open when you start the game and close when the game was over. I'm sure software was never written for it. Licensing, time frame, or cost I believe killed it.

I forgot about that! Now that we’ve got the JJP pirate trunk mod, this is totally in grasp...

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

MBRLE is a gorgeous pinball machine. Colors, lighting, etc. etc.
    The topper works in conjunction with the above. Sculpted figures, awesome integrated lighting etc.
    AFMrLE was as good.
    I've got a TWDLE fish tank head topper and BM66LE topper. They aren't integrated well and basically SUCK by comparison.
    My WH20 topper from 25 years ago also blows everything else away.
    Take a cue from CGC people!!!

Mod makers will never be able to sell a topper for the volume or R&D cost CGC puts into their stuff. New games? NIB prices would go up another $1K

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

AFMRLE wins hands down

Attack LE is the best topper ever made
    I think every pin deserves a topper
    Always like the attract modes

Fish Tales , WW,Wh20 are beautiful
    As well

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Are you serious?

#21 4 years ago

Amh has gotten more compliments than any other topper i have owned.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I'm with you. I can't for the life of me figure out how this is a thing.

#23 4 years ago

Makes me think about a poll I made a last year.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-the-topper-decide-what-game-you-buy
    But this one is nice and wouldn't think twice about adding it to mine.

#24 4 years ago

Not a huge add on topper fan but this new one they did for MMr is pretty cool.
    I can appreciate stogie troll.
    2F338ADB-A375-49BA-AB2E-0C6D2F93DF6E (resized).jpeg2F338ADB-A375-49BA-AB2E-0C6D2F93DF6E (resized).jpeg8B757D56-4E08-4F3A-82F5-4C5DE3BDFF16 (resized).jpeg8B757D56-4E08-4F3A-82F5-4C5DE3BDFF16 (resized).jpegA758CC8A-7D11-4994-866F-7519FC753F4D (resized).jpegA758CC8A-7D11-4994-866F-7519FC753F4D (resized).jpeg

#25 4 years ago

The old Space Invaders has a pretty cool topper, not interactive though but cool.
    Tommy mirror ball is ok too.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from whitey:

Are you serious?

100%. Same as adding stupid tchotchkes all over the playfield.

I see an opportunity though, the topper market seems full....but no one has yet cracked into the Unders market.
    Business opportunity....who is with me?

#27 4 years ago

The detail on the MM topper is awesome , but I think the potc CE topper is right up there , with it's animation and lighting effects

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

The detail on the MM topper is awesome , but I think the potc CE topper is right up there , with it's animation and lighting effects

CE Topper is cool....the only decent topper JJP has produced....but u had to pay almost $13K to get one ....

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

100%. Same as adding stupid tchotchkes all over the playfield.
    I see an opportunity though, the topper market seems full....but no one has yet cracked into the Unders market.
    Business opportunity....who is with me?

I get it...in my mind its eye candy for the most part....hard to argue that it doesn't dress up the game nicely. Most toppers are cheap plastic crap, but CGC has done a great job of developing toppers that actually interact with the game play (kind of like the shaker).....It is a nice to have, and not a need to have product...just like all mods on pinball games

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

What's there not to like about toppers , who needs nice art , who needs a dmd , who needs powder coating , who needs a shaker motor , all of these things don't affect gameplay but overall they make the whole experience better . I love my fish tales topper , seeing it flap around during certain points of the game , it adds to the whole experience .

#31 4 years ago

the detail in this topper is incredible. Def the most detail I've ever seen. Now it doesn't appear to move like AFM BUT it does have a troll smoking a cigar.....

hmmmm

#32 4 years ago

Has JJP surpassed CGC now on toppers with that Wonka CE?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Why can't anyone else do a TOPPER like CGC?

Have not seen a topper I cared for since Whirlwind, Fire, and Fish Tales.

Fish-Tales9a (resized).jpgFish-Tales9a (resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Have not seen a topper I cared for since Whirlwind, Fire, and Fish Tales.
    [quoted image]

Love FT. Don’t forget Whitewater

#35 4 years ago

boom - Stern have crushed it!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

At first I thought they were tacky at best and at worst a complete waste of money... But, then I saw the Monster Bash LE topper and I was hooked on toppers. I really think its a great way to add one little bit of character onto your machine. I am addicted to toppers now. I want one for all my machines. But, I just don't want garbage. I want something cool.

I don't care too much about a light show. Or integration, as I will never look up at the topper during play. I never do with my MB. I want something that looks good when turned off. And perhaps does add to the light show when turned on. But, the latter is only a side benefit, as my monster bash I barely notice the light show when playing. When viewing another person it matters.
    But, I think with an older pin a better light show would be more noticeable as the lighting on MBr is insanely well done.
    I'm looking at making my own Sinbad. I got an idea for having the Dragon and Cyclops fighting as a topper or staring down each other about to fight from the Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. And possibly Sinbad on the topper surrounded by some of the Sinbad babes... They'd be on a separate frame in the foreground much smaller then the monsters.

#37 4 years ago

Probably because they are preoccupied with Playfield design, concept, theming, art design and coding. Not having to do any of those things Probably frees up a lot of time for topper development.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from whitey:

Are you serious?

Honestly me either. It's just added cost and ultimately doesn't add a ton to the game. It's just eye candy. That being said, I did love the MBrLE topper..so I mean even I can fall for eye candy. For the majority I simply don't care though. I never actually 'look' at the topper when I'm playing so I have no idea what it is doing.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Probably because they are preoccupied with Playfield design, concept, theming, art design and coding. Not having to do any of those things Probably frees up a lot of time for topper development.

Part of the total package

Quit making excuses for them Levi

People obviously care about it on these new $10k plus games. Why is that hard to understand?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Okay that's pretty cool.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Another layer of immersion for me. I like the fact that when I’m occasionally not staring at the ball I can look up and see both the display AND the topper. Everyone likes more when it’s done right.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Wow, that's one of the best for sure. Very cool!

#43 4 years ago

That Black Knight topper is definitely up there with the AFM, maybe even better.

#44 4 years ago

To each their own. I don’t really care about the topper. Especially with how much they cost. The games are expensive enough.

#45 4 years ago

One thing though about CGC toppers. They are amazing. But, they really shouldn't be just for the LE purchasers. A topper should be available to buy for whoever wants to buy it.
    I'd say the same about Sterns if they made toppers only for LE's. Sure I think it should be included in the LE price point. But, shouldn't be exclusive.

Now, I know pinball is split about who likes toppers and who doesn't, so you probably can get whatever topper you want if you're willing to pay. But, you should be able to get one from the company and not do the fake scarcity crap that they do.

These are toys. They are not collectors items. Do they hold value, yes they do. But, I don't buy my pins to hold value. I buy them to play. And when I want to sell them, I'll happily take what I can from them as a bonus. Because, the true worth for me, is in playing them...
    And the true worth in a topper is looking at it when the machine is off and being all, "man its pretty!!!!!"

#46 4 years ago

I know Munsters is a four letter word around here, but the Raven taunting and true interaction w gameplay(coming out and callouts) is one of the best I've experienced (spinning clock still being dealt w in code, still very cool in multiball jackpots).

My AFMRLE topper is awesome as well......

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Nice!!!!

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Holy shit thats a cool topper....Did they tell you the cost?

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Part of the total package
    Quit making excuses for them Levi
    People obviously care about it on these new $10k plus games. Why is that hard to understand?

Seems like people like Stern's toppers?

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems like people like Stern's toppers?

Just one, and they don't even sell it yet

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-can-t-anyone-else-do-a-topper-like-cgc?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.