• Latest reply 8 years ago by jfh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7_Rosewood.jpg
image.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Gotta have those plaques. Serial numbers are hard to decipher, when I have a nice plaque on my game that says #522/1000 that lets me know which number I have. Definitely worth paying a couple thousand extra.

Don't forget some people pay extra to get a specific number. Jack's gotta be thinking to himself, "God this is too easy."

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

As I have said before it's really quite simple, in the case of a Stern - because the LE comes with a Certificate of Authenticity that just so happens to be hand signed by THE Gary Stern himself, perhaps you heard of him?
When I unwrapped my LE the first thing I did was transplant this Official Document of Certification to an air tight container out of the way of direct sunlight. Later when I had time I transferred it into a large document envelope with poster board on either side to prevent creases. Then I had the envelope Notarized and Officially sealed. As I headed out for the safety deposit box at my bank I calculated just the right amount of desiccant to include in the box. After everything was secured I felt like a tremendous load of worry was lifted from my mind. Most non LE owners will never understand that getting that handled right away is the largest burden of every LE owners dire responsibility.
I just hope my bank doesn't get robbed now.

Exactly how I feel. But I don't trust me eyes so right after I have the certificate in hands I go straight to an expert to confirm authenticity.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

As I have said before it's really quite simple, in the case of a Stern - because the LE comes with a Certificate of Authenticity that just so happens to be hand signed by THE Gary Stern himself, perhaps you heard of him?
When I unwrapped my LE the first thing I did was transplant this Official Document of Certification to an air tight container out of the way of direct sunlight. Later when I had time I transferred it into a large document envelope with poster board on either side to prevent creases. Then I had the envelope Notarized and Officially sealed. As I headed out for the safety deposit box at my bank I calculated just the right amount of desiccant to include in the box. After everything was secured I felt like a tremendous load of worry was lifted from my mind. Most non LE owners will never understand that getting that handled right away is the largest burden of every LE owners dire responsibility.
I just hope my bank doesn't get robbed now.

Exactly how I feel. But I don't trust me eyes so right after I have the certificate in hands I go straight to an expert to confirm authenticity.

#54 8 years ago

sorry, double post

#55 8 years ago

more like a triple post

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

more like a triple post

...more like quadruple post.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

...more like quadruple post.

I confirm, quadruple post. Anyone else?

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

It does if the premium isn't powder coated.

name a premium that doesn't have powdercoat.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

name a premium that doesn't have powdercoat.

Haha, ok I meant smooth glossy powder coat or chrome armour. There are premiums with the rough black armour like Mustang and KISS to name two. There are others of course. That's all I meant.

#60 8 years ago

answer... To loose money unless its a Tron Le upon release. Its a absolute $$ trap. If you want an LE wait for 6 months after release and pick one up at NIB pro prices. Just my opnion

#61 8 years ago

because the extra toys cover up the bad playfield art.

#63 8 years ago

...because I have a problem.

#64 8 years ago

I would always want the LE, especially if it had more features than the others if I decided in buying a new pin made today, however, then again I would want to play the game first which never seems To be an option unlike everything else that's an object that comes out limited you usually get chance to see in person or drive or play.

#65 8 years ago

I think there something special about having one of a very limited quantity, engraved plaque and paper to go with it as long as the artwork or cabinet is a bit unique and can never be duplicated. Star Trek LE, Metallica LE MOP cabinets won't be produced again. So I guess I see value as long as the Cabinet is different than the premium version or future V editions. They can come out with Star Trek in the distant future as VE, but I don't think that will kill the LE. Just a great looking cab with integrated lights the only way to get your hands on it is to buy an LE

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

With all of the remakes (that are better than the originals), low resale prices (due to more titles a year being released), and lack of extras for the LE's vs premiums... What is the reason people are still buying limited editions?
I was always the person pre ordering the LE and just can seem to justify it anymore. I can see the Kiss LE's. It's a hugly collectable enterprise. I get it. But, Game of Thrones?
In no way am I trying to dog on the LE buyers. I'm one of them. I'm just curious what pushes someone to the LE now days.
And to note, I have never bought a LE to flip it and make money on it. In fact, I don't know I have ever made a penny off an LE I've sold. So, I'm not buying LE's currently because resale futures are going to make me $1000's. I bought them to have something special.
Thanks for your input.
Brian

people that buy LE should only buy them for one reason, because they want to

#67 8 years ago

I want the best game available, so I've only bought LEs since my first 6 months in the hobby, except for IMVE where there wasn't an LE. That said, I felt a little burned by TWD announcing the Premium after they already had me on the hook for an LE, so I'm a little more careful now. GOT served up a shit sandwich at LE (let me clarify....in my humble opinion), so I'm being careful right now. I might buy a GOT premium if it rocks, or totally skip out. Screw the hype from now on!

#68 8 years ago

Artwork, cabinet parts, plaques, they're all interchangeable, but if LE is the only model with all the gameplay features, anything less is a partial game.

Quoted from sparechange1974:

I think there something special about having one of a very limited quantity, engraved plaque and paper to go with it as long as the artwork or cabinet is a bit unique and can never be duplicated.

There's a fine line to be considered special. If a game is so limited that only a few will enjoy it, what's the point? If you want to feel special, go custom... hire your own designer, give them the idea and let them make your one of a kind... that's the only way to feel like you actually have something special, because you had input into the end result. Otherwise you're rolling the dice that your cookie-cutter product will actually turn out to be special enough to even hold it's value. (full custom rarely hold their street value).

Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The LE's actually do alright holding their value if the title is a good title. METLE, AC/DC LE, TRON LE, STLE, Black spiderman, LOTRLE.

Pros tend to hold their value just as well.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

With all of the remakes (that are better than the originals),

I only know of one remake and its not even close to being as good as an original. Very much overpriced… nothing more than a Stern Pro with an added shaker for $8000, really? And many complain about Stern pricing?

If you're a player there is no reason to buy an LE. The LE's are for the player/collectors.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Personally, I wish Stern would do the following with their LEs:
1) Shaker
2) The custom rails/toppers that they seem to sell now as aftermarket accessories.
3) The usual stuff (art package, mirrored translite, etc.).
4) Actually limit them. 700 isn't very limited. Make it 250 so that there is more collectability in the secondary market.
While wishing I also wish they would drop in price by $2000.00. And come with a free coupon for the next machine.

You just described Avatar LE, except it was even better in that it was about 3K less than the current ones.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I only know of one remake and its not even close to being as good as an original

Can I nominate this quote as the most idiotic post in the history of pinside?

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

sure you can but it will never get past your top 20...

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I only know of one remake and its not even close to being as good as an original. Very much overpriced… nothing more than a Stern Pro with an added shaker for $8000, really? And many complain about Stern pricing?
If you're a player there is no reason to buy an LE. The LE's are for the player/collectors.

Never thought I'd hear Teekee smack talk the original B/W games! You know full well it's made of all B/W parts, and with an LCD that's even further verification of no Stern DNA.

#74 8 years ago

It comes down to space, too. I can understand that someone who is constrained to never having more than 4-6 pins might want them all to be LEs. I like the variety that I get with my "15-on-legs, 10-in-storage" approach. But it doesn't leave much $ for LEs.

#75 8 years ago

Like many kids, I lived on 5 for a dollar KMart ham sandwiches and Pickle and Pimento Bologna sandwiches as an urchin from a larger family in the Carter 70's. Now I am no longer having to live a life of KMart ham sandwiches at the Blue Light special. Thank God! I made my success in the last 40 years. (Not making and selling ham sandwiches). Now I buy what I want, especially LE's, because I can at this time in my life. Pinball is great, Limited Editions make it "special". Shiny, reflective mirrored backglasses lined up and lit, are awesome too! Very cool!!!
Why would anybody go for less when they can have more?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Like many kids, I lived on 5 for a dollar KMart ham sandwiches and Pickle and Pimento Bologna sandwiches as an urchin from a larger family in the Carter 70's. Now I am no longer having to live a life of KMart ham sandwiches at the Blue Light special. Thank God! I made my success in the last 40 years. (Not making and selling ham sandwiches). Now I buy what I want, especially LE's, because I can at this time in my life. Pinball is great, Limited Editions make it "special". Shiny, reflective mirrored backglasses lined up and lit, are awesome too! Very cool!!!
Why would anybody go for less when they can have more?

Wow nice collection of games in our state, probably the second biggest I know of in our state.

#77 8 years ago

No

#78 8 years ago

No, most of yours are WAY worse

#79 8 years ago

This being one of them

For me I don't want to feel that I got a version of the game that was missing really cool features and for that I will buy a premium if available or the LE if the premiums are not available. I think STLE is definitely the crown jewel of LE's for me and a standard to which I base all future LE's. If Stern puts that much detail into an LE then I will get one but it seems lately that they haven't really given us a true LE since STLE.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

This being one of them

I'm curious where you found anything even remotely "idiotic" about that post. First off, I prefaced the comment with the words "For me".

1) Premiums and LE's have additional features that the pros do not. Are you disputing that?
2) STLE with its RGB lighting, side rail lighting,cab lighting, laser lights etc offers the most among the Star Trek options and has really elevated the game to make it look stunning. Steve Ritchie himself has stated that.
3)Lately Stern has not given us a true LE since STLE. OK show me one pin since where the LE model gave us a lot more over the pro beyond what STLE offered over the pro. WWE? Mustang? Kiss?

I have no problems with people disagreeing with me and I respect other opinions, but it would make for a better discussion if you can elaborate on your position and explain what you found "idiotic". As for Teekee's comment, it had nothing to do with the topic and there is history associated with that. I have elaborated on that on other threads and do not want to spoil this thread by turning it into yet another MMR/MM bash. I think this is a great topic and would like to keep it that way.

#81 8 years ago

STLE is the only LE I own (currently only the only Stern I have too) and I picked it almost solely on appearance. I knew I wanted a Star Trek LE or Premium, but didn't like the cabinet art or translite on the Premium. I love the blue on the LE and the side rails are fantastic. The shaker motor was nice. And the LE looks classic and timeless - it won't look dated in 5 years like the other two models.

I doubt I'll line up for any LE in the future. The Muppets is the only theme I can think of that would make me consider it and the last time I talked with Gary I came away pretty sure that the Muppets theme will never happen with Stern (at least on a pin). But if I do consider one, it will be all about aesthetics unless there are game play features on the LE not on the Premium.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-buy-an-le/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.