(Topic ID: 39497)

Why buy a pinball from some guy working out of his garage?

By Pinmeister

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pintucky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

garage2.JPG
    IMG_9790.jpg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

So how did the post work for you?

Already had my own answer, as I'm from the same area as the distributor. Oddly enough, I was not particularly impressed with the quality of their repair work. IMHO, the guy working in his garage does a better job and takes more pride in his work. Also, their used machines are necessarily priced to cover the overhead of a large warehouse/showroom. I have purchased all of my machines from various hobbyists and collectors, the equivalent of the "Guy in the Garage".

#52 11 years ago

Pinmeister - quite a collection you have (had to look after reading where you purchased them from)!

#53 11 years ago

My 'garage' workshop has higher standards and quality control than the average 'distributor'... and produces IMO a higher quality product.

#54 11 years ago

Hmmm....trying to think of a time I didn;t buy a machine out of a basement or garage

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

My 'garage' workshop has higher standards and quality control than the average 'distributor'... and produces IMO a higher quality product.

The quality standards were exceptional for the game I bought out of John's garage and I would do it again.

Mike O.

#56 11 years ago

Iron Man out of a living room...nnot sure what he had in his garage...but a good guy all the same..

#57 11 years ago

So I have a question for the OP. First Guys that my ad! Because guys are selling for more then full retail out of there garage with no warranty or anything.

My question is, why do people like distroying comerce on craigslist by constanly flagging? Scared cause I'm the big guy in town? If you guys want to distory pinball sales on craigslist for Denver I can join in too, but I'm a bit to adult for those games..

#58 11 years ago

First of all I didn't flag your ad. I believe that everyone has the right to advertise their goods at whatever price they want. In a non-regulated market it is up to the consumer to become informed about what he wishes to purchase. And when purchasing a big ticket item, whether it be a TV, a car, or a pinball machine, it is irresponsible not to do your homework.
    I also believe in free speech. So if someone wants to make an ass of themselves I am OK with that. You made your statement. Your potential customers can judge whether they wish to deal with you knowing how you feel.
    It was you who denigrated the hobbyist in an attempt to enhance you own profit. So quit whining when there is some pushback and ridicule. The people you are trashing are your customers, and that game they are trying to sell they may have purchased from you originally.
    And seriously, are you really trying to claim that your ad was an attempt to help the consumer? I don't think anyone is scared of you being the biggest guy in town. I just think the little guys don't appreciate it when you s**t on them.
    So is your real complaint that your post was brought to the attention of the community?

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

So I have a question for the OP. First Guys that my ad! Because guys are selling for more then full retail out of there garage with no warranty or anything.
    My question is, why do people like distroying comerce on craigslist by constanly flagging? Scared cause I'm the big guy in town? If you guys want to distory pinball sales on craigslist for Denver I can join in too, but I'm a bit to adult for those games..

Um, aren't YOU "distorying comerce" when you get on CL bagging on other sellers? Did you secure your status as "big guy in town" by trashing others, or by doing good/reputable work? I like to buy from a guy who conducts themselves professionally; making petty slam posts indicates you aren't focusing on doing good work.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

Um, aren't YOU "distorying comerce" when you get on CL bagging on other sellers? Did you secure your status as "big guy in town" by trashing others, or by doing good/reputable work? I like to buy from a guy who conducts themselves professionally; making petty slam posts indicates you aren't focusing on doing good work.

JJ is a great guy with great service and he does good and reputable work. I bought a NIB machine from him and would buy another without question. He has helped many here on pinside on offers good prices to folks.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Thanks very much, Rick. I appreciate that. For the record Stern requires dealers to have a storefront, mine is here:
    http://www.lanesandgamesarcade.com/
    Also for the record, good things happen in my garage. A favorite restoration from my new garage:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike217/sets/72157626418651740/show/
    And a picture of my old garage, it was fun garage:

Great looking restore!

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

JJ is a great guy with great service and he does good and reputable work. I bought a NIB machine from him and would buy another without question. He has helped many here on pinside on offers good prices to folks.

Good to know!

#63 11 years ago

JJ is great and great to talk with. Gexchange is an awesome storefront and I check their inventory often. I have yet to buy but that is more for lack of my target titles than their prices or service. I got a big guns for a cheap price out of a garage and it is in great condition but it is constant problems. I am on my own with it. You take that chance out of a garage I guess. But the exchange had the manuals I needed and let me browse them for free. I feel lucky to live near them.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

Sterns biggest distributor is a farmer. Sells out of his barn. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again, great guy with great prices !!!

This may be a dumb question, but who would this be?

#65 11 years ago

I see a few folks saying all is great to buy from a garage, house etc... all which I agree with 100% and have done so many times before and will continue to do so, but my question is I also read the a few say when it comes to a NIB to go to a distributor for the warranty. If I were to buy a NIB Stern or JJP from a garage dealer, don't I also get a warranty if not from the dealer but from the manufacturer when I register the machine?

#66 11 years ago

I believe he was referring to "farmer Trent" at Tilt amusements?

#67 11 years ago

If your fancy....you call your garage a warehouse! That's what I love about pinball, small hobby, small businesses with the personal touch, handmade goods, it truly makes the hobby unique. It is safe to say, most pinball business are a hobby, the owners have passion.

#68 11 years ago

If I were to guess at what JJ was trying to convey is this :

"Hey people, If you are going to spend that much money on current models NIB, why dont you just buy from an authorized retailer that will provide support and tech after the sale.

If something does happen with your purchase and you are expecting full warranty and support when purchasing from a non authorized retailer, you will not get this.

Buying NIB from an authorized retailer is a value added experience."

If I was selling NIB as an authorized agent, and someone purchased a nib from some random dude and needed free warranty parts, I would kindly tell them that I cant get free parts to them, but I can get them for X price. And perhaps the person they purchased it from will warranty it. I would also explain to them that if they were to purchase new from me in the future I would be able to take care of them in situations like this.

The way I see it is that I would be disrespecting my cash paying customers to give them the total VIP treatment. VIP treatment is a value added commodity that customers pay for by doing business there.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

If your fancy....you call your garage a warehouse! That's what I love about pinball, small hobby, small businesses with the personal touch, handmade goods, it truly makes the hobby unique. It is safe to say, most pinball business are a hobby, the owners have passion.

And they are just that. SMALL BUSINESSES....not small charities!

#70 11 years ago

I will post this.. This is the rest of the text of that part of the ad. Rather then just one sentence.

Fully Reconditioned by our staff of factory trained service staff. Why buy a pinball from some guy working out of his garage? Buy from the Largest dealer this Side of The Mississippi with over 32 years in business! We service what we sell, all of our reconditioned pinballs come with a 30 Day Bumper to Bumper Warranty!!!! Call JJ at 303-962-4666 Delivery and Setup Available, we will even lug it down the stairs for you! Game Exchange Of Colorado! 2650 w. 6th ave Denver, Co 80204

JJ

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

First of all I didn't flag your ad. I believe that everyone has the right to advertise their goods at whatever price they want. In a non-regulated market it is up to the consumer to become informed about what he wishes to purchase. And when purchasing a big ticket item, whether it be a TV, a car, or a pinball machine, it is irresponsible not to do your homework.
    I also believe in free speech. So if someone wants to make an ass of themselves I am OK with that. You made your statement. Your potential customers can judge whether they wish to deal with you knowing how you feel.
    It was you who denigrated the hobbyist in an attempt to enhance you own profit. So quit whining when there is some pushback and ridicule. The people you are trashing are your customers, and that game they are trying to sell they may have purchased from you originally.
    And seriously, are you really trying to claim that your ad was an attempt to help the consumer? I don't think anyone is scared of you being the biggest guy in town. I just think the little guys don't appreciate it when you s**t on them.
    So is your real complaint that your post was brought to the attention of the community?

Sorry to have attacked you personalty I thought you had admitted to flagging my ad's when I read it the first time, re reading it I realize you said before it was flagged. So For that I apologize.

My Ad is written just as that an Ad, Explaining why my company may be better for a new pinball buyer vs some one who is selling there pinball out of there garage. OUR service goes on FAR beyond the sale were most hobbyist guys don't offer warranty or after sale service.

I have no issue with you posting my public ad, I wish you would have posted the rest of the paragraph where I explain why, but I understand you posted the line that you felt was offensive. But this was clearly posted in the BY DEALER section, many of the other dealers in the Denver area only post there ad's as by owner even though they sell as a dealer on CL.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm curious.. did Stern Pinball really train your service staff? I've never heard of Stern offering classes

#74 11 years ago

I think the retailer's Craigslist post was for a used game, not NIB. Can't remember the exact details (game, price, etc).

Quoted from maddog14:

If I were to guess at what JJ was trying to convey is this :

"Hey people, If you are going to spend that much money on current models NIB, why dont you just buy from an authorized retailer that will provide support and tech after the sale.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

I think the retailer's Craigslist post was for a used game, not NIB. Can't remember the exact details (game, price, etc).

It was for an Agent 777 Pinball $995

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I'm curious.. did Stern Pinball really train your service staff? I've never heard of Stern offering classes

Yes, Back when Data East, Williams, Bally and all were around they all had classes once and a while. We used to fly them out and have them put classes on for our staff / Operators as well.

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

It was for an Agent 777 Pinball $995

Ad can be seen here

denver.craigslist.org link

#78 11 years ago

You have a better reputation around here than that. Why not just remove the part about the garage if some find it offensive and move on?

#79 11 years ago

"Bumper to bumper warranty" is cute! Now that your ad is viewable in full it doesn't seem too rough on the garage guys after all. I'm a garage-folk (my shop is in a repurposed loading dock) so I was sensitive to the language. Hahaha sounds like you Denver guys have a tumultuous Craigslist pinball climate, too! Always an adventure.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

The local stern dealer located near me did this as well.

OT- I prefer buying from JJ than using this particular dealer located in my county. Thats how good JJ is!

#81 11 years ago

They *did* - 20 years ago! Using that claim now seems.. well, dated. The way it's worded in the CL ad leads me to think it's a current, ongoing thing.

#82 11 years ago

Why are people so sensitive to everything? The guy posted an ad for his business. He is competing with other companies. Im sure the people working out of their garages would love to take sales from their competition. Thats how business is dog eat dog. I didnt see anything offensive in the ad he wrote, it looks like advertising 101 to me.

Why settle for the same old burger from Mcdonalds when you can have it your way at burger king.
    Disclaimer:
    I am not affiliated with any of the companies above and am not advertising for them just using an ad to prove my point.

#83 11 years ago

Sorry, but I'd rather have a burger from In-N-Out

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

Sorry, but I'd rather have a burger from In-N-Out

Amen to that! I lived out in Arizona for a lot of years and had an in and out right by my work

#85 11 years ago

I think the ad is fine, I have never bought direct from JJ, but definitely given him a shake at my business a few times and referred him to couple of friends in Nebraska and IA. Competitive and reputable. I think there is nothing wrong with advertising to buy from a reputable company with service techs that can support you. JJ keep up the good work, maybe the next pin of mine comes from you!

#86 11 years ago

Basically this just sounds like a Denver CL war which spilled over to Pinside.

The phrase "working out of his garage" is meant to be a cliche slur, and in the world of many commercial businesses it might be. But for pinball dealers it's just not a detraction, considering 90% of all of our collections were rolled out of garages at some point. I mean, the Treasure Cove garage door with gleaming games in front of it!?!! That's what I think when I hear "out of a garage"! Or I think of all the goodies I've bought over the years in garages, or all the goodies I have packed in my garage currently!

Garages invoke warm fuzzy pinball feelings! The opposite of the effect the ad was going for!

I don't know of any good that ever came from battling it out on CL, via war of words, flagging contests, etc. Other than to give others a chuckle watching/reading the carnage!

#87 11 years ago

Why buy a pinball from some guy working out of his garage?

Because my entire collection of 5 awesome pins bought out of various garages and man caves cost well less than 1 NIB Avatar.

Chris

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

Basically this just sounds like a Denver CL war which spilled over to Pinside.
    The phrase "working out of his garage" is meant to be a cliche slur, and in the world of many commercial businesses it might be. But for pinball dealers it's just not a detraction, considering 90% of all of our collections were rolled out of garages at some point. I mean, the Treasure Cove garage door with gleaming games in front of it!?!! That's what I think when I hear "out of a garage"! Or I think of all the goodies I've bought over the years in garages, or all the goodies I have packed in my garage currently!
    Garages invoke warm fuzzy pinball feelings! The opposite of the effect the ad was going for!
    I don't know of any good that ever came from battling it out on CL, via war of words, flagging contests, etc. Other than to give others a chuckle watching/reading the carnage!

I don't even bother with CL, networking is where it is at and I am not getting into a war with the 50 dollar more guy.
    Why a retailer would bother with it is beyond me.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

Basically this just sounds like a Denver CL war which spilled over to Pinside

I hope not

#90 11 years ago

I started my business 21 years ago in my garage. My products sold from my garage were the same quality products I sell today. A garage is a good place to start . . .

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-buy-a-pinball-from-some-guy-working-out-of-his-garage/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.