(Topic ID: 39497)

Why buy a pinball from some guy working out of his garage?

By Pinmeister

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pintucky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

garage2.JPG
    IMG_9790.jpg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Before it was flagged for removal, the local Stern distributor posted the above question on the Denver Craigslist this morning. Can anyone on the forum answer this troubling question? If this trend continues, people could be buying pinballs from some guy working out of his basement.

#2 11 years ago

1. To save money because they have low overhead.
    2. You know where they live so you will not be likely to get screwed over. Businesses close up overnight and a locked door usually means no recourse.

#3 11 years ago

Because the machines are a lot cheaper. We have plenty of people in the NE that basically work out of their garage. They are middle men just like someone with a shop, the only difference being they don't need to jack up their prices to pay the rent.

#4 11 years ago

.....huh?

The only reason to buy from a distrib, IMO, is if you want a warranty or a NIB.

Why overpay for a game if you don't need either of those things is beyond me. This topic just seems like a troll thread designed to stir up crap, much like the original CL posting. Was the company trying to imply that someone is buying NIB games from some guy out of his garage?

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

1. To save money because they have low overhead.

I run my contracting business from my home, If I would have had to have a brick/mortar storefront, Id be bankrupt and no pinballs.

#6 11 years ago

Because it is easier to load them when they are in the garage rather than the basement.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

.....huh?
    The only reason to buy from a distrib, IMO, is if you want a warranty or a NIB.
    Why overpay for a game if you don't need either of those things is beyond me. This topic just seems like a troll thread designed to stir up crap, much like the original CL posting. Was the company trying to imply that someone is buying NIB games from some guy out of his garage?

OP is not trying to stir crap. You can literally sell Stern machines as a dealer from your garage...

#8 11 years ago

i would buy from a little guy in a garage for the fact he will give you a better deal on the game an also becomes a friend

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I run my contracting business from my home, If I would have had to have a brick/mortar storefront, Id be bankrupt and no pinballs.

^ Same here! If I had to have a showroom and receptionist for my fencing business, I would definitely be out of business. I can also pass the savings to my customers that way.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

OP is not trying to stir crap. You can literally sell Stern machines as a dealer from your garage...

Great. Where do I sign up? I want to get distrib pricing on my next NIB pin.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

I can also pass the savings to my customers that way.

Well, lets not get crazy now

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Well, lets not get crazy now

LOL! Hey, it's a tough market out there these days. Gotta do what I can to get the work

#13 11 years ago

This is a no-brainer.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I dont know the specifics but I'm going to assume you need to purchase a certain amount of machines upfront and get an approved application, which would include a TIN etc...

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

Why buy a pinball from some guy working out of his garage?

Because you don't have to carry it up any stairs.

#16 11 years ago

Sterns biggest distributor is a farmer. Sells out of his barn. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again, great guy with great prices !!!

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Haha! What a great idea!!!!

#18 11 years ago

I saw that post. Lots of guys do great work on pins in their garage around here. And the guys that posted that know many personally and know they do.

#19 11 years ago

They have less overhead and better prices...

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

Before it was flagged for removal, the local Stern distributor posted the above question on the Denver Craigslist this morning. Can anyone on the forum answer this troubling question? If this trend continues, people could be buying pinballs from some guy working out of his basement.

Yeah I was gonna say....."because the basement is full of the keeper machines".

Why buy a Stern game when the codes are unfinished ??

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#21 11 years ago

I buy from the garage men... as I hope he shares his beer!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yeah I was gonna say....."because the basement is full of the keeper machines".
    Why buy a Stern game when the codes are unfinished ??
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

I was thinking the same thing, because the keepers are in the house.

You can get a solid rebuilt game or a snaprag shopped polished turd out of a garage or a brick and mortar.
    Condition is king, the game not the building.

#23 11 years ago

When it comes to used machines, the basement dude is the way to go. Those dudes with shops have a 'retail tax'. Which reminds me, you will also be paying tax when you buy retail.

NIB games, thats where I say go retail instead of Dude In His Garage. More likely than not, if DIHG is selling a NIB game, DIHG is a speculator. LAME. Retail NIB games will most likely be a distributor and will come with things like a warranty.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from robbiev:

I buy from the garage men... as I hope he shares his beer!

I highly second motion this notion!

#25 11 years ago

When I read the title I thought it was a bash against SkitB.

#26 11 years ago

Skitbpinball looked like a basement, if they're in a garage, well, I'm out.
    Basement=ok.
    Garage=just plain creepy.

Oh, wait, backwards. Sorry. "Now, PUTS THE LOTION IN THE BASKET!"

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#27 11 years ago

Curly Little shop of games in florida sells new and used games out of his garage i would buy from him again

#28 11 years ago

That somebody is operating out of a garage has no bearing on their reliability

#29 11 years ago

In my experience dealers of yesteryear rip me off, dudes in garages don't.

#30 11 years ago

"It rubs the lotion on it".

Basement not ok. Garage ok. Microsoft and Apple

#31 11 years ago

Because guys with garages have tournaments and beer..

IMG_9790.jpgIMG_9790.jpg

#32 11 years ago

Good machine, good price, and if the guy has a good reputation I don't care. I just don't want to deal with a guy flipping junk.

#33 11 years ago

I knew these two dudes in Cupertino who used to sell computers out of their garage. They seemed to do pretty well.

#34 11 years ago

I sold and traded a LOT of pins out of my garage over the years. Met a lot
    of great guys & gals in the process. Ended up buying many pins from them
    too. I'd much rather buy from a hobbyist working out of his house than a
    distributor for a couple of reasons: you know the hobbyist will back his
    machines (unlike distributors) and you are promoting the hobby locally.
    Not to mention you'll get a better deal.
    Steve

#35 11 years ago

I started my small business out of my folks garage while i lived in the basement. I have a shop now witg low overhead and have a home.
    You have to start somewhere.

I had my share of brick and mortors bad mouth me when i first started up.
    It comes with territory i guess

#36 11 years ago

It may turn out one of these days the only place you'll be able to buy a game is out of someone's garage or basement. That's where ALL of my games come from.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#37 11 years ago

Because I don't want to pay the 50% mark up.

#38 11 years ago

Reputation and integrity are far more important than location.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Reputation and integrity are far more important than location.

And Mike, my friend, you have both in spades. How's your garage doin.?

One of the best men in pinball (and in general) I've ever had the pleasure of doing business (and socializing) with. He operates his distributorship from his garage, and all my future Stern purchases are with him. "Trust; Primary ingredient in any relationship"

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

Honestly, most of us would do far greater job in shopping out a pin (more care involved) than a overpriced distributor. I always give a warranty when I sell a pin locally.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Skitbpinball looked like a basement, if they're in a garage, well, I'm out.
    Basement=ok.
    Garage=just plain creepy.
    Oh, wait, backwards. Sorry. "Now, PUTS THE LOTION IN THE BASKET!"

SkitB= Some Kids in the Basement. I guess if they move to the garage they'll have to change their name to SkitG.

#42 11 years ago

"Or else she gets the hose again Blondetall!"

SkitG, funny.

#43 11 years ago

Someone operating a storefront benefits their business by having one. Some people don't want to deal with a guy in a garage. Some people like being able to drop in, get whatever they need, etc. Other people want the best deal. The world needs both.

#44 11 years ago

way I look at is a lot like others have said above

a small shop has to sell/move games to pay rent etc etc
    a hobbyist sells when he wants to not that he has to.

also when you think about it a small shop also buys from local hobbyist
    who may have spent many hours or even a Winter working on a game
    where a small shop couldn't afford paying $/hr to do the same with a game that's in a very bad state to begin with.....

In a way it's kind of a circle with a lot of ppl related one way or the other,
    a stew of games crossing local borders and back again for 10-20 years

#45 11 years ago

The guy in the garage has the games I want.

#46 11 years ago

And Mike, my friend, you have both in spades. How's your garage doin.?
    One of the best men in pinball (and in general) I've ever had the pleasure of doing business (and socializing) with. He operates his distributorship from his garage, and all my future Stern purchases are with him. "Trust; Primary ingredient in any relationship"

Thanks very much, Rick. I appreciate that. For the record Stern requires dealers to have a storefront, mine is here:
    http://www.lanesandgamesarcade.com/
    Also for the record, good things happen in my garage. A favorite restoration from my new garage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike217/sets/72157626418651740/show/
    And a picture of my old garage, it was fun garage:

garage2.JPGgarage2.JPG

#47 11 years ago

Mike's games at LnG are always clean and working 100%. He also has tournaments there monthly. I have at least two friends that go there religiously.

Too far of a drive for me, but doesn't mean I don't want to visit.

Mike, is that a recent WW restore? I'm still fidgeting around with my TZ. :p

#48 11 years ago

I bought my TZ, STTNG, IJ Williams and LOTRLE from a guy who works out of his garage just east of Calgary, Alberta. He is one of the most knowledgable pinheads I have ever met. I would buy from him again in a heartbeat. He is a huge asset to the pinball community here in Alberta.

Thanks Jay.

QSS

#49 11 years ago

If I recall correctly - in the CL ad, there was mention that the technician(s) working on the games were factory trained (Williams? Stern?). Maybe that is the thrust of the message that the retailer was trying to convey...

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

So how did the post work for you?

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-buy-a-pinball-from-some-guy-working-out-of-his-garage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.