(Topic ID: 77272)

Why Arn't More People Logging Pinball Serial Numbers at IPSND?

By daley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinballKen
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why Don't You Register Your Games Serial Numbers at IPSND?”

• I do! 14 votes
      13%
    • Unaware of IPSND until now. 16 votes
      15%
    • Lazy/To much effort required. 18 votes
      17%
    • Privacy concerns. 11 votes
      10%
    • Zero interest in tracking serial numbers. 46 votes
      44%

(105 votes)

#1 10 years ago

I am very curious why more people do not log their pinball serial numbers over at IPSND. For example, Tron currently has only 36 registered serial numbers: http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=5682

I know there are more then 36 Pinsiders who have Tron. So, who isn't registering their serial numbers and why don't you do it?

I personally really enjoy when you are able to see where a machine has been. Many machines are traded and sold regularly and it would be really cool to see that history. However, that really only is possible if a lot of people are actually participating and updating serial numbers.

I also think a lot of us are always interested in how many machines Stern is actually making of each game, and enough data from people could assist in some pretty accurate estimations.

#2 10 years ago

Never again.

I put up a pic of the label of one of my machines, and they came down on me like a pack of hungry wolves because one of the numbers was a little faint.

They were total a-holes about it, I thought, and that's why...never again.

#3 10 years ago

I would, but all my games are stolen.

#4 10 years ago

They're in the back. The back is against the wall.

I thought about it.....but then I play pinball instead.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from jiffy:

Never again.
    I put up a pic of the label of one of my machines, and they came down on me like a pack of hungry wolves because one of the numbers was a little faint.

That sucks. Sorry dude.

For what it is worth, you don't actually have to upload a picture.

Did they reach out to you in a way other then negatively 'nudging' the photo? I personally, had never even looked at the feedback on my pictures until just now. Apparently I got a -1 from someone about a rip in my serial number that made it a little unclear. Oh well.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from jiffy:

Never again.

Agreed. I submitted a number with two of the numbers switched with the obviously correct number more than visible in the submitted pictures and they jumped on me like I was too stupid to own a machine. I still submit numbers, though. I am more interested in the statistics then their attitudes.

#7 10 years ago

badges??? who needs stinking badges!

#8 10 years ago

I have never heard of it before, but I'm also concerned about privacy. Just read a couple and ya they are kinda dicks about pictures..geez.

#9 10 years ago

I am a card carrying member of the tin foil hat militia, that is why.

#10 10 years ago

It's an NSA operation.

#11 10 years ago

I had a Bally Strikes and Spares with different serial numbers on the backbox and cabinet so I didn't know which one to use. After that it was more laziness than anything.

#12 10 years ago

I submitted a couple but I don't see the point

#13 10 years ago

I used to and have some listed from 2006 but quit doing it after the format was changed.

#14 10 years ago

No interest to me....Pinside is enough

#15 10 years ago

I think it might be fun / useful for people in the future to see where their machines have been. Not so interesting at this point, but imagine if people had been doing this since they were new the fascinating places our games have been.

Years back, I had a 1963 Oldsmobile and I traced the original owner back to another state and contacted the family (the owner had died years before). They were so excited to hear from me that they sent all the original paperwork, repair receipts and manuals that the old guy had kept. It was a wonderful way to connect to the car’s history and I passed all this info along when I sold it.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I think it might be fun / useful for people in the future to see where their machines have been. Not so interesting at this point, but imagine if people had been doing this since they were new the fascinating places our games have been.
    Years back, I had a 1963 Oldsmobile and I traced the original owner back to another state and contacted the family (the owner had died years before). They were so excited to hear from me that they sent all the original paperwork, repair receipts and manuals that the old guy had kept. It was a wonderful way to connect to the car’s history and I passed all this info along when I sold it.

The voyage of discovery is fun, but would you have enjoyed it as much if you were able to simply find the information in 5 minutes searching the net?

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I completely agree. However, that only really works if you get high participation. From the results of the poll, it appears that the majority of people have no real interest, which is a bummer. It is like a wiki. It is only as good as the community puts into it. We will only ever have good data, with people's participation.

If you aren't doing a photo, entering a serial number can be done pretty quickly.

Serial numbers are also, not only on the back of the game. I believe all Data East/Sega/Stern, have it stapled inside the cabinet, so you can find it just by opening the coin door. Also, Gottlieb System 3's have the serial number on the apron in the outlane. Older SS Bally games have the serial number carved into the side of the cabinet. Not too sure about convenient places for serial numbers on newer Williams and Bally games. Will have to look when I get home.

#18 10 years ago

I submitted a serial to see if my machine was a first run Dr Who... but I couldn't tell from the data.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I have never heard of it before, but I'm also concerned about privacy. Just read a couple and ya they are kinda dicks about pictures..geez.

I've also never heard of it until now but probably won't bother submitting them.

1 week later
    #20 10 years ago

Seems fun. Just got my first game (The Shadow) and added it to IPSND. Not sure I'll spend much time on that site but a cool idea anyway.

#21 10 years ago

Only heard about it, but never been to the site. What is the idea behind it? Just for fun to track serials?

#22 10 years ago

I tried to - but the site would not function properly to let me make entries. I sent an email to the owner of the site explaining the problem and never a reply - as such, my 9 games will never be recorded there. That was over a year ago.

If there is that little attention to the site, I won't be participating in it.

Based on some of the experiences I see up above with this - I see no reason to even bother. Pinside suits me well.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

I completely agree. However, that only really works if you get high participation.

Put it on pinside and award karma for participation. I also think it would be neat to see the history of a pin but am also to lazy to enter mine. Like Astropin said, I get close to it and it just sucks me in and I have to play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-arnt-more-people-logging-pinball-serial-numbers-at-ipsnd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.