(Topic ID: 24886)

Why are/were some pins more popular on route?

By chocky909

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by aeneas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Just reading the Medieval Madness ice-cream thread and was reading how operators and venues just won't give up their Medieval Madness machines because they still make good money on site. What is it that makes this table popular in public places and why can't those attractive qualities be replicated easily?

#2 11 years ago

I go out of my way to play MM at the location by me 'cuz I don't ever see owning one in my future. Maybe guys like me playing specific known premium titles?

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from decktard:

Maybe guys like me playing specific known premium titles?

No, MM has *always* made a bunch of money on route ever since it first came out, and it's earnings basically never dropped off. It's why even 10 years ago, you couldn't get one for less than NIB price - because they earned better than just about anything else.

The other titles really depend on a lot of factors. I have heard that there are a couple BBHs around here that do amazingly, but I know another op about 90 miles away that couldn't ditch his BBHs quick enough because they didn't earn at all. I have heard that POTC and SM are consistently good earners. There is a location that has a DM still on route. That op thinks the novelty of the handles still gets people to play it.

Look around your town and see what it still out. If it is more than a few years old, chances are that those are the games that are proven to make a lot of money for the op in your area.

#4 11 years ago

I remember reading that South Park was extremely popular on route when it first came out (must have been the toilet on the playfield?)

#5 11 years ago

Road Show does well due to the buy-ins to get across the country

Ironman because of the fun and short game times

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

What is it that makes this table popular in public places and why can't those attractive qualities be replicated easily?

Because it's not easy to know what the attractive qualities are and invent something similar.
    You also can't copy them to another game - the same rulesheet on another playfield layout (with more difficult/easy shots) may not work.

What makes a game excellent is the combination of theme, graphics, sounds, flow and difficulty/easy of the shots, rulesheets (easy and difficult goals), variation (not always the same sounds, ..) and if you have it all you get a great pin.
    To make it earn well on location it needs to be attractive enough to get people to play it. Make them have a great playing experience from the first shots, have some easy goals so they know what to do, but still have them not reach certain things so they want to play it again and try to achieve the other goals.

It's the same as saying why can't you make up a great joke by listening to a lot of other great jokes and copy these ? Or make a new song by taking the best things out of existing hit songs ?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-arewere-some-pins-more-popular-on-route and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.