Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04550751-9440-4417-B30D-5CB943D33624 (resized).jpeg
    2712d9abbf678cec5a74f2858f18afe9ade6a962 (resized).jpg

#1 23 days ago

Back in the em days as it seems makers seemed to gamble on an odd layout but ever since Stern and subsequent companies seem to exist in the 2000s it seems that the fan layout is the thing.

What changed from Target Alpha to Fan Layouts?

Added 23 days ago:

Variety is with an E not A.

#2 23 days ago

Not sure I agree. The Elwin games & Deadpool are not fan layouts.

#3 23 days ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Back in the em days as it seems makers seemed to gamble on an odd layout but ever since Stern and subsequent companies seem to exist in the 2000s it seems that the fan layout is the thing.

Surviving failed layouts isn’t an option for pinball companies in 2021 - there are now far too many decent as well as fantastic games that have been made.

#5 23 days ago

Godzilla seems to be different

#6 23 days ago

Ultraman and Halloween would like a word!

Pop bumpers seem to have gone out of favour lately.

#7 23 days ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

You might need to get out a little. There’s a lot of cool, unique layouts in pinball. Just to name a few:

IMDN
    JJPOTC
    Wonka
    AIQ
    Deadpool
    Ultraman/Halloween
    Rick and Morty
    Jurassic park
    Oktoberfest
    Godzilla
    WOZ
    Hobbit

#8 23 days ago

Seeing this thread i knew Elwin would pop up almost immediately. Look i love his games and they shoot great but you take away the upper flipper shots on aiq jp and Godzilla and you have a fan layout. His upper flipper design which he uses every time is what makes his games feel more unique. I would argue imdn is his most removed from the fan layout and even then most shots are fan in design. Same with Godzilla... take away that oddly placed pop and have a look at the majority of the shots left.

I think the op makes a valid point tbh.

Also someone mentioned the hobbit... that's about as fan as you can get lmao.

#9 23 days ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Ultraman and Halloween would like a word!
    Pop bumpers seem to have gone out of favour lately.

Pops are what makes a pinball machine, if you can't have two or more just have one.

#10 23 days ago

Here is my earliest pure fan layout. What a great game. Nothing wrong with a properly executed fan.

2712d9abbf678cec5a74f2858f18afe9ade6a962 (resized).jpg
    #11 23 days ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

You might need to get out a little. There’s a lot of cool, unique layouts in pinball. Just to name a few:
    IMDN
    JJPOTC
    Wonka
    AIQ
    Deadpool
    Ultraman/Halloween
    Rick and Morty
    Jurassic park
    Oktoberfest
    Godzilla
    WOZ
    Hobbit

Exactly. A few years ago this argument would have been more valid but some new blood in the industry has been designing some cool funky layouts.

#12 23 days ago

Every game is a fan layout you are shooting a ball from the bottom up its inherent

#13 23 days ago
    Quoted from John1210:

Seeing this thread i knew Elwin would pop up almost immediately. Look i love his games and they shoot great but you take away the upper flipper shots on aiq jp and Godzilla and you have a fan layout. His upper flipper design which he uses every time is what makes his games feel more unique. I would argue imdn is his most removed from the fan layout and even then most shots are fan in design. Same with Godzilla... take away that oddly placed pop and have a look at the majority of the shots left.
    I think the op makes a valid point tbh.
    Also someone mentioned the hobbit... that's about as fan as you can get lmao.

Lord of the rings as well.

#14 23 days ago

As others have pointed out this isn't really true but agree there is a much
    wider variety of layouts and doodads in EM's which is one of the reasons
    I have so many. Some layouts worked better than others but having a variety
    its nice.

#15 23 days ago

Variety is the spice of life. Change your a to an e and you might find what you're looking for.

#16 23 days ago
    Quoted from tp:

Variety is the spice of life. Change your a to an e and you might find what you're looking for.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"745326ff41fa5595712530e00c927f210eb9bf19-1632664725-1800"};
    //]]>

I was saying it with a heavy NYC accent in my head, perhaps that’s why they went with an A instead of E

#17 23 days ago

Respect the variAty!!!!

04550751-9440-4417-B30D-5CB943D33624 (resized).jpeg

#18 23 days ago

It's an E I will concede that point.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I was saying it with a heavy NYC accent in my head, perhaps that’s why they went with an A instead of E

#19 22 days ago

Bigger question - which has been brought up before - is why do they all shoot on the right? Change it up and reverse it. You could even mirror known layouts and it would still be a large adjustment to many.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside