Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by luckymoey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

My dad was a chevy only guy PERIOD and I never understood it. Why do people become brand specific instead of product specific ? Every company makes good / bad stuff.
    Seems we have a lot of this now here with jjp only peeps or stern only fanboys. Genuinely curious about this. Thoughts ?

#2 5 years ago

It’s a generational thing. Big companies spend big money to lure young people to their brand hoping it will be a lifetime commitment.

My 86 year old dad has been a ‘Toyota” guy every since they first exported the Toyopet to the west coast in the late 50s. He’s probably owned more than 30 Toyotas. He traded often, just staring to slow down on the past couple years. He’s excited about reaching 100K on his current car, it’ll be the first time he’s ever racked up so many miles on a car.

#3 5 years ago

Funny, I always thought it had to do with stubbornness and people who are like this are usually the least open minded. That is why this attitude was really popular years ago before higher education became the norm.

#4 5 years ago

I don’t really care between a Ford and Chevrolet. I own one of each pickups. I will say, my Ford diesel is twice the truck my Chevy diesel was, though a tuned LBZ duramax can get almost 40mpg highway and my 6.7 ford struggles to do 17...there are some brands I won’t stray from though...Klein tools, Benelli shotguns, Mars dollar bill acceptors, Stihl chainsaws, etc. I think it’s comfort. You stay with what you know because you subconsciously trust it. Ever been stranded on the side of the highway over 100 miles from home? You never trust that truck again because of it. My Benelli M2 has over 75k rounds through it. Gets cleaned maybe once every 18 months. It’s never failed. It goes on every hunting trip because of the trust. I’ve broken SnapOn screwdrivers, but never a Klein. You trust what you know.

#5 5 years ago

In cars, it may be different.....I had this discussion with 2 sister in laws and brothers.....Clothing, shoes, belts, etc...
    Brand Names are a Must! Nothing else is as Good!

I share with them they are brainwashed by advertising.

In the immortal Words of System of a Down:

"Need therapy, therapy
    Advertising causes need
    Therapy, therapy
    Advertising causes need
    Therapy, therapy"

#6 5 years ago

Brands, with a few exceptions mean little since the wholesale move of American Companies to China, Vietnam, etc. USA made clothes, like Woolrich, moved overseas but kept the high-ass price, sorry,it doesn't work that way.
    Maytag name used to mean something, now its an off brand of dubious quality. Even once-excellent Japanese Brands manufacture has been moved to cheaper Countries and suffer quality wise, like Nikon.

I purchase good American made hardware from antique and surplus shops since current offerings are made from inferior steel. This is why I enjoy owning, restoring and using Simplicity and Allis Chalmers mowers, vintage Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors, drive a 1970 Chevy truck and play EM pinball machines.

Right now I cannot even think of a Brand that instills confidence, desire to own, anything. Maybe Carhart, Ruger, Martin guitars.

#7 5 years ago

My identity is pretty much entirely wrapped up in the things I consume.

Therefore, if you tell me my toothpaste sucks, I'll take deep offense and get very upset.

The same goes for when someone tells me Black Sabbath are "overrated" 30 seconds after they tell me they just went to go see Poison.

So, when it comes to pinball you can just multiply that by 368, as nothing is more important than pinball.

#8 5 years ago

Any apple fan boys here?

#9 5 years ago

Because we live in a divided society that champions the concept of teams, winning, and not compromising. Its amazing how many people are so unwilling to admit that more than one brand might be good at something. It doesn't make you any less of a man/woman to be happy with more than one thing.

Except Dodge. Everyone hates Dodge, right?

Kidding folks...

#10 5 years ago

Some of it has to do with something you're actually connected to - I've seen bumper stickers like "I WORK FOR FORD, I DRIVE A FORD".....

I'll take Pepsi over Coke, but just because I like the taste better.

As for pins (or almost anything, for that matter, including cars), blind loyalty to one manufacturer seems ridiculous.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

*meekly raises hand*

While on the topic of cars... had a ‘95 dodge neon that crapped out at 95,000 miles. The thing was babied it’s entire life (bought new by my grandmom), but as it aged, more and more things went wrong on it. It went from nickel and diming us to thousand dollaring us, all while leaving us stranded on the highway 3 times: once when the head gasket blew, another time when the ignition switch failed (in the middle of a busy intersection, no less), and lastly, when water pump seized and ripped the timing belt to shreds. To its credit, the thing had ice cold air conditioning though. Felt like you had ice cubes pelting you in the face.

And then there’s my 2002 accord. Throughout its 200,000 (and continuing) adventure, I’ve had exactly 3 things go wrong with it: O2 sensor failed, then the EGR valve, and the O2 sensor again. Never left me stranded.

My fiance’s old 1999 Corolla was the same way. 230,000 miles, and it really only needed a power steering pump, and a new valve cover gasket. Thing ran like a champ, even when we sold it.

So even though my sample size is super low, I’ll probably stick with my Hondas and Toyotas because they’ve always been good to me—even though there are a ton of other brands that are just as good.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

*meekly raises hand*
    While on the topic of cars... had a ‘95 dodge neon that crapped out at 95,000 miles. The thing was babied it’s entire life (bought new by my grandmom), but as it aged, more and more things went wrong on it. It went from nickel and diming us to thousand dollaring us, all while leaving us stranded on the highway 3 times: once when the head gasket blew, another time when the ignition switch failed (in the middle of a busy intersection, no less), and lastly, when water pump seized and ripped the timing belt to shreds. To its credit, the thing had ice cold air conditioning though. Felt like you had ice cubes pelting you in the face.
    And then there’s my 2002 accord. Throughout its 200,000 (and continuing) adventure, I’ve had exactly 3 things go wrong with it: O2 sensor failed, then the EGR valve, and the O2 sensor again. Never left me stranded.
    My fiance’s old 1999 Corolla was the same way. 230,000 miles, and it really only needed a power steering pump, and a new valve cover gasket. Thing ran like a champ, even when we sold it.
    So even though my sample size is super low, I’ll probably stick with my Hondas and Toyotas because they’ve always been good to me—even though there are a ton of other brands that are just as good.

My CRV runs like a champ too but I'm not a true believer in any one brand, they just make solid engines. Think my next vehicle will be a Subaru, but I digress. Nowhere is this brand loyalty thing as crazy as it is with your everyday piss head. I worked in the beverage retail industry for years. Cheap, alcoholic beer drinkers. Guys that buy a thirty pack per day of Keystone, Genny, Natty, Bud, Miller, Coors, and will drink nothing else! Dozens upon dozens of these guys killing themselves with alcohol thinking these companies care about them and they can taste the difference! Year after year, same people, same nonsense.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Kidding folks...

You shut your mouth! MOPAR for life

Quoted from phil-lee:

Right now I cannot even think of a Brand that instills confidence, desire to own, anything. Maybe Carhart, Ruger, Martin guitars.

There are plenty of awesome brands and some are even American! You need to open your aperture! Formula Boats are made by hand in beautiful IN, Redwing boots and some New Balance are made here in the states, a lot of my new Dewalt tools are built in the US, Shinloa watches are made in Detroit, and the finest bourbons in the world come from Kentucky.

#14 5 years ago

Every time Japanese cars are brought up I fondly remember this song from my youth.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

My CRV runs like a champ too but I'm not a true believer in any one brand, they just make solid engines. Think my next vehicle will be a Subaru, but I digress. Nowhere is this brand loyalty thing as crazy as it is with your everyday piss head. I worked in the beverage retail industry for years. Cheap, alcoholic beer drinkers. Guys that buy a thirty pack per day of Keystone, Genny, Natty, Bud, Miller, Coors, and will drink nothing else! Dozens upon dozens of these guys killing themselves with alcohol thinking these companies care about them and they can taste the difference! Year after year, same people, same nonsense.

I'd guess the guy that buys a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best ever day is less concerned with brand loyalty than he is getting drunk cheap.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I'd guess the guy that buys a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best ever day is less concerned with brand loyalty than he is getting drunk cheap.

You would think but that guy is wearing a beast shirt and hat while picking up his beer, I guarantee it. Just like Marlboro miles used to be. Deck yourself out in all things Marlboro then die of lung cancer. People were obsessed with those things.

#17 5 years ago

I just go with whatever seems to work best. If it stops working for me, if the quality drops, or if the cost skyrockets, I'll look elsewhere. If it continues to work, the quality is maintained, and the price continues to be fair, I'll continue to use it.

I don't champion or act as a cheerleader for brands. Nobody pays me to advertise. I don't care about name brand goods. A lot of times, generic store brands are about the same and a lot cheaper (especially when it comes to food and general supplies).

Unfortunately, greed and company mismanagement seem to ruin what were once many formerly great products and companies.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

There are plenty of awesome brands and some are even American! You need to open your aperture! Formula Boats are made by hand in beautiful IN, Redwing boots and some New Balance are made here in the states, a lot of my new Dewalt tools are built in the US, Shinloa watches are made in Detroit, and the finest bourbons in the world come from Kentucky.

NC produces killer boats like Parker so yeah,if you are big in boats. Real Redwings (I have 4 pair) are North of 250 a pair, sorry, hate New Balance and Dewalt and don't drink liquor. My antique Benrus, Hamilton and Waltham watches run like champs after service.

I get what you are saying, a lot of good stuff still made in the States.

#19 5 years ago

And here I thought this was going to be a Wiiliams vs. Bally vs. Gottlieb thread.

#20 5 years ago

In the past, everything I owned had to be the "cool" "In" name brand whatever.....Now I really don't care as much, but still rock Abercrombie & Fitch boot cut jeans from 20+ years ago just because I can't find any other jeans that fit like they do (I still seek out these "vintage", out if style things). I am driving a "soccer mom" Acura, just because it fits my needs and my TL before it went 10yrs with zero issues, never needed anything (And I drive my vehicles hard). I don't have the same faith in my MDX, but it's under warranty. (Front adj shocks failed ($1k each if not under warranty), uses oil, starter noisy in winter). Before my TL I had a 7 series BMW. Looked sick sitting in the driveway, where it spent a lot of time, always broken....that's why I didn't buy a Range Rover. Wife drives a Honda, can't kill it, but it's time to replace it. Will probably go Lexus, just because you can't kill a Toyota/Lexus.

I have buddies that buy $10k+ watches, wife is slightly obsessed with purses, to each their own. If it makes you happy, and you can afford it, who cares what other people think.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Funny, I always thought it had to do with stubbornness and people who are like this are usually the least open minded. That is why this attitude was really popular years ago before higher education became the norm.

In my experience higher education and open mindedness certainly don't correlate. Some of the smartest, astute people I know never had the opportunity or desire to go to college - and vice-versa.

It's in people's nature to be "tribal"and align with sports teams, brands, etc. People even use to work for the same company their whole career. It can be great if it's a two way street, but is becoming hard to find with the speed of information/change. I default to certain brands because they've earned my trust. Stern screws up occasionally but I love their machines and they usually take care of any issues. I've had 3 JJP and 2 Spooky machines and they also have great products & service but just didn't find them as fun. So I'm open to buying any pin but Stern is now my default.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-you-a-brand-guy-?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.