(Topic ID: 188663)

Why are we not talking about these half ass LCD/Speaker grills?

By Chitownpinball

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170511_173654 (resized).jpg
    untitled (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_5809 (resized).png
    Screenshot_5808 (resized).png
    Screenshot_5807 (resized).png
    Screenshot_5806 (resized).png
    image-4 (9) (resized).jpg
    image-5 (3) (resized).jpg
    RightAngleViewGAMEpage (resized).png
    Stern-BATMAN-66-Limited-Original-Flipper-Game-Pinball-_57 (resized).jpg
    IM4 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5690 (resized).JPG
    aerosmith_monet (resized).jpg
    paint set (resized).jpg
    25giftCertificate224x2242 (resized).JPG
    prostreamfront800x600_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chitownpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks the speakers panels Stern is using with their new LCD look like total garbage? They dont put any art on them any more, just a big black box under your translite. They couldnt even put the plaque center on the bezel either. Look at GB, LOOK AT KISS! Whats the deal? Why is no one upset about the huge price increases and the lack of finish? Why do you have to get a SUPER LE in order to get any art in this area? Seems like it should be stock. Is this an "add-on" now?

screen-shot-2017-01-05-at-10-07-34-am-199313 (resized).pngscreen-shot-2017-01-05-at-10-07-34-am-199313 (resized).png

Stern-GhostbustersPremium-CabinetRF-01x (resized).jpgStern-GhostbustersPremium-CabinetRF-01x (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well, for a start, it has a colour screen in it instead of a sticker on it.

Which is black when the game is off. Making the big black box under the translite even bigger and blacker.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Yeah I tend to agree. When the LCD is on it's not so much a problem, but when it's off it kinda looks fugly. Since they cut down on the size of the translite they could have done something to make that area look better.

I saw a few pics of people with them in their line ups and I just think they stick out like a soar thumb.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Do we really care that much what the games look like when they are off? Look at WOZ and Hobbit. Why not paint over all our dmds so they look pretty while we aren't playing?

Yes. Yes we do.

There was just a guy in the Alien thread complaining about the black boxness of the cab. People care. Maybe not on location, but when you have a line up at home, you want your $8000 toy to look as sweet as possible.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

Wtf?
    You don't have any LCD sterns listed in your collection. No. No you don't.

Weve got a Kiss LE at my office. I dont include it, I bought it for my boss. Dont even get me started on Kiss. I praised it here lol.

I am a potential SW purchaser, but I cant afford the $15,000 SLE or whatever they are going to charge for it. Id like to see some value in my purchase.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Or, just buy an old classic pin and forget buying the newer ones.

Thats pretty much my market at this point. They priced me out. Id sell them all for a really cool SW pin though, but I dont think any one but JJP could pull that off.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What huge price increase? Aerosmith is onle $100 more that older Sterns and has a beautiful hi def display and upgraded sound. And of course a larger display needs a larger speaker panel. Personally I am happy they didn't go full retard with a display that takes up the whole back box and eliminates the translite. And have you opened the speaker panel yet? Of course you haven't. You don't even own the game. The hinged design is a HUGE improvement.
    I think you're really stretching here for another Stern bash topic. Fail.

Use of word "retard" classy.

I LOVE the jjp design. I love the small glass, and the LCD. I think its beautiful what they have done. I havent played DI yet, but I had a WOZ for a while and Ive played TH. Love it. The whole machine is built and designed to look clean. I appreciate that.

I have NOT opened the speaker panel yet. Super ugly placement of the lock though, smack dab in the middle of the giant ugly speaker panel. Great design.

Who cares if I dont own one. Am I not entitled to an opinion because of that? Am I not buying one because of the long list of issues they consistently have? Yes.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

As for the people that react like, "do we need to complain about everything".....I don't understand you people. Why is it a bad thing to be critical? I saw a similar response when stern sent a fellow pinsider a cracked cabinet and people said he was complaining too much. To that I say F that. When you drop that amount of money I have every right to complain and that includes being critical about the grills.
    I personally don't see an issue though with GB but understand the OPs comments

I was comparing the art on GB's speaker panel to the lack of it now.

As for the complaining about the complainers. This really does seem to be more and more a rich people hobby. If their $8000 toy doesnt meet their standards, they'll just spend MORE money to get it the way they want. I cant wrap my mind around that. Thats a lot of money to me, maybe not others. I want the whole package to be complete and well thought out for my money.

#65 6 years ago

You know they don't all cost $8000 or $15,000. And who is "they"? Us rich dummies? My Aerosmith was $5195 shipped and I got everything I wanted.

Well you didnt get the full featured pin that was originally designed. You got a stripped down lower tier machine.

Its not like comparing a fully loaded car to a bone stock car. The car still drives the same way, it just doesnt have the bells and whistles.

With the pins, the whole thing is changed. The geometry, the rules. You are missing a whole upper playfield. That would drive me nuts. No way I could get a pro of a stern ever.

#70 6 years ago

Lol. So, you don't like or can't afford an LE and wouldn't be caught dead owning a Pro. Enjoy being a malcontent.

You enjoy being a curmudgeon with your buddy Levi.

#74 6 years ago

I just believe in truth and logic and am not a fan of whining. And I totally agree with Levi that some Pros are excellent.

Well the TRUTH is that they changed something major and forgot how to make it good looking. They removed art from an area where it was previously.

The logic is that you would think a company who is basically building a giant art project would look at things like this and say "hey, something is missing here".

I dunno, just my thoughts. This is my first on fire post! LOL. Complaints get the clicks I guess.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

It's supposed to look like that, it's replicating the grill cloth of a guitar amp.

Batman played a lot of guitars back then. It was a phase he grew out of.

Stern-BATMAN-66-Limited-Original-Flipper-Game-Pinball-_57 (resized).jpgStern-BATMAN-66-Limited-Original-Flipper-Game-Pinball-_57 (resized).jpg

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Looks good to me

Stern didnt think so.

RightAngleViewGAMEpage (resized).pngRightAngleViewGAMEpage (resized).png

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Please...He's a Gottlieber...

All my DMD gottliebs have beautiful speaker panels......

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chitownpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-we-not-talking-about-these-half-ass-lcdspeaker-grills?tu=chitownpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.