(Topic ID: 227464)

Why are Truck Bed Caps so damn expensive?

By Zitt

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0118 (resized).JPG
IMG_0008 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 (resized).JPG
IMG_0001 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just bought a new Truck this past weekend; replacing my old 2000 Dodge Dakota with only 93k miles. I found a Craigslist deal for a camper shell a few years ago.. in white... which I sanded off the gel coat and primer-ed it black with the intention of eventually doing some Automotive black to it. Never got around to it.

So now; given I do move stuff around under my truck cover (occasional machine or arcade cabinet); I'm feeling like I'm going to miss my camper shell. Pricing a new "truck caps" with the 4 manufacturers is proving to be ... well; fraught with sticker shock. Everything seems to be in the $1500 range... and used craigslist/offer up searches don't come up with anything new enough to fit my F150 short bed.

I don't suppose there is such a thing as year-end-clearances... or Black Friday deals?! for these things is there?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Why did you replace your truck with only 93K miles? I'm still truckin' with my Toyota Tacoma with 125K, it's now my daily driver along with being my game hauler. I'd watch Craigslist for a few weeks, if you are in a big metro area you should be able to pick one up used for less.

Because it was 18years old... and the clearcoat was shot... And it was manual transmission (which wife can't drive), locks, windows...
And I wanted something bigger/newer; and something the wife can drive when I need a rest. And something which can do a better job at towing my 8ft trailer when we are going to a Pinball Show.

I'm not the kind of guy who leases every new vehicle... so I wanted to treat myself.
The key is I wanted something with the latest inventions. Adaptive Cruise w/ lane assist.
But mainly ... just because by the time this new truck is 20years old... I'll be thinking about retirement and everything will be autodrive.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-truck-bed-caps-so-damn-expensive?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.