(Topic ID: 227464)

Why are Truck Bed Caps so damn expensive?

By Zitt

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0118 (resized).JPG
IMG_0008 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 (resized).JPG
IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I just bought a new Truck this past weekend; replacing my old 2000 Dodge Dakota with only 93k miles. I found a Craigslist deal for a camper shell a few years ago.. in white... which I sanded off the gel coat and primer-ed it black with the intention of eventually doing some Automotive black to it. Never got around to it.

So now; given I do move stuff around under my truck cover (occasional machine or arcade cabinet); I'm feeling like I'm going to miss my camper shell. Pricing a new "truck caps" with the 4 manufacturers is proving to be ... well; fraught with sticker shock. Everything seems to be in the $1500 range... and used craigslist/offer up searches don't come up with anything new enough to fit my F150 short bed.

I don't suppose there is such a thing as year-end-clearances... or Black Friday deals?! for these things is there?

#2 5 years ago

I've been searching for one for my Silverado with the 5'-8" bed for some time. They're few and far between. New is too expensive, I agree.
I've been thinking about a soft top. Softopper.com

#3 5 years ago

i searched for years to find an affordable one for my old F150 long bad & i never did find one, ended up selling it and bought a euro-trash van

#4 5 years ago

I think they're a little out of style. Haven't used a topper in over 20 years. Don't see many pickups using them either.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I think they're a little out of style. Haven't used a topper in over 20 years. Don't see many pickups using them either.

Super common in Oregon. Looking to pick one up for my 2018 Tacoma long bed. The decent ones are a bit over $2000.
I'm always hauling something in the back that needs to be covered - or camping.

#6 5 years ago

Why did you replace your truck with only 93K miles? I'm still truckin' with my Toyota Tacoma with 125K, it's now my daily driver along with being my game hauler. I'd watch Craigslist for a few weeks, if you are in a big metro area you should be able to pick one up used for less.

I got one that was a perfect color match for my truck for $300 used. But a few years ago didn't strap in an arcade game on a short trip and sure enough, it slid and went through the back window of the camper. I've been going without ever since, I wrap in plastic wrap, then a tarp and straps if it's raining. Never have a problem, but I also usually avoid moving games in the rain.

#7 5 years ago

My last truck with a 94 GMC Sonoma. I got a used cap from a friend that looked and fit perfect for like $50, which I was really lucky to have gotten it. Man I drove that truck every where's and moved so many games in it that I knew exactly how to load any combination, era, make and model to make them fit. But after 15 years and nearly 300K miles it was time as the bed was really getting rusty and getting the games wet. When looking for a newer truck (because new trucks are way to expensive) one of the requirements was that it had to have a cap on it already that looked like it matched so I didn't have a blue truck with a red cap or something funky like that. Ended up finding a 2001 Dodge 1500 with a factory cap and low miles that had come up from Florida. Again I got lucky, plus it was four wheel drive which was an absolute must. As for the soft tops....I like the looks of them but there so impractical it's not even funny. So many times I had guys here buying games over the years with those type of caps and it would be raining or snowing or 100 degree heat and they would try and tarp them up with straps and bunge cords etc... and I always told them they needed to get a real cap if there going to be in the pinball hobby because you just load and go. Also having a nice rubber bed mat is a must because otherwise the game will slide around unless you strap it all down and that's hard to do even with a cap on the truck. The mat works great because it never once let the game move on its own and I transported games nearly a thousand times like that and I've never once had a problem.
Just my two cents worth.

John

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0118 (resized).JPGIMG_0118 (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Why did you replace your truck with only 93K miles? I'm still truckin' with my Toyota Tacoma with 125K, it's now my daily driver along with being my game hauler. I'd watch Craigslist for a few weeks, if you are in a big metro area you should be able to pick one up used for less.

Because it was 18years old... and the clearcoat was shot... And it was manual transmission (which wife can't drive), locks, windows...
And I wanted something bigger/newer; and something the wife can drive when I need a rest. And something which can do a better job at towing my 8ft trailer when we are going to a Pinball Show.

I'm not the kind of guy who leases every new vehicle... so I wanted to treat myself.
The key is I wanted something with the latest inventions. Adaptive Cruise w/ lane assist.
But mainly ... just because by the time this new truck is 20years old... I'll be thinking about retirement and everything will be autodrive.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-truck-bed-caps-so-damn-expensive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.