Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7090.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm cleaning up my Jacks Open and need to figure out what to do with these nails. For some reason, under many of the plastics someone decided it would be a good idea to put a nail in the playfield. Are these supposed to hold the plastic up? Anyway, I need to decide what to do with these. I'm replacing the plastics and don't want to ruin the new ones. Should I leave them how they are? Pull them out? Cut them off part or all of the way down? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

IMG_7090.jpgIMG_7090.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Yes, they were installed when the game was built. Depending on the location, I've understood that they keep the plastics from deforming due to heat or ball hits as well as help keep balls from getting trapped.

#3 8 years ago

I think they are meant to support the plastic if it warps downward. I would leave it there, but maybe tap it down a bit lower than the posts (or use washers under the new plastic to raise it).

#4 8 years ago

I think it serves only to hold up the plastic as you have supposed. Or maybe a sort of "limit stroke" for the rubber when the ball hits.
I had your same problem... I polished the nails together with the metallic parts. I decided to leave them "shining" inside rather than have a hole on the playfield. Of course the hole can be easily filled by a toothpick with glue, then retouched with colour... but for me is not the best solution in this cases...
Ciao

#5 8 years ago

Put a drop of glue on it or even a small piece of felt. This will keep the bottom painted side of the plastic from getting scratched.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea that these were put on in the factory. They are just regular finish nails and kind of look like an afterthought. I will probably leave them in there and polish them up a bit. I'll try and tap it down a bit and put a drop of glue on top.

#7 8 years ago

I think over time heat causes them to rise and push plastic.

I always tap them down so the plastic sits on top but the nail is not pushing plastic up.

#8 8 years ago

The nail keeps the plastic from interfering with the playfield rebound switch in front of it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

I had no idea that these were put on in the factory. They are just regular finish nails and kind of look like an afterthought.

"That extra touch of Quality and Originality".....

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

For some reason, under many of the plastics someone decided it would be a good idea to put a nail in the playfield.

Ha...first EM eh? I had the same thought when I got mine...wtf are these doing here

I was shopping a Baywatch the other day and that even had some nails in it still.

#11 8 years ago

I had an Aztec once, but never took the plastics off and I don't think there were any nails there. It's just a bit surprising, not in a good way, to see the nails in the perfectly smooth and painted playfield. But if that's original, I guess that's okay.

#12 8 years ago

Even late 70s SS used the nails.

#13 8 years ago

My Black Knight had a nail in it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-these-nails-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.