(Topic ID: 102009)

Why are there no repro Addams Family Playfields?

By kbliznick

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Illinois Pinball made some about 5 years ago and nothing since. It's only the most mass produced game of all time and still top 10 popular.

Hopefully with PPS aquiring IPB we can expect these to come out sometime soon?? Anybody have some inside information that they would care to share?

#2 9 years ago

Check rgp. It's all there

#3 9 years ago

I have one f/s if anyone is interested

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Check rgp. It's all there

RGP, that's ancient history. I want a pf now or soon. The demand is there.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

RGP, that's ancient history. I want a pf now or soon. The demand is there.

Maybe so, but it gives a good idea about the obstacles that are just as valid now as they were then. You want one now be prepared to pony up some serious cash.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Maybe so, but it gives a good idea about the obstacles that are just as valid now as they were then. You want one now be prepared to pony up some serious cash.

What obstacles? Did IPB not acquire the proper licenses before making theirs?

#7 9 years ago

Like i said, google rgp. Heck, search here. It's been talked about before.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Like i said, google rgp. Heck, search here. It's been talked about before.

Why not just link us to alllll those countless topics?

#9 9 years ago

IPB got caught up with - "it's next in line" - I even called once and they told me they were getting test pfs back from the printers. Never got run again. Maybe there was a stack of blanks when Rick got the goods....

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Why not just link us to alllll those countless topics?

Why should I do your research for you? It would take me just as long as it would you?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Why should I do your research for you? It would take me just as long as it would you?

Then it sounds like its buried and not easy to find. Let's get a discussion going instead of trying to dig up ancient archives

#12 9 years ago

I have a question why do taf playfields wear much more than any other it seems ? Ive been looking at getting one but most are worn? Is it just because it was played so much compared to others at the time like tz , ij and sttng? Or is it the way its made and the magnets that cause it ?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I have a question why do taf playfields wear much more than any other it seems ? Ive been looking at getting one but most are worn? Is it just because it was played so much compared to others at the time like tz , ij and sttng? Or is it the way its made and the magnets that cause it ?

yes, magnets cause magnet burn, no other way around that

They got the snot played out of them. Plus too many lamps in a small area (the mansion) doesn't help. I have a TAF right now with insert chipping everywhere, but the chair hole is pretty nice and there is no wear to the wood anywhere. Would be a nice candidate for restoration except for the magnet burn.

#14 9 years ago

WMS playfields from that era sometimes had thin clearcoats or clearcoats that did not stick well to the plastic inserts.

Rob

1 week later
#15 9 years ago

IPB repro here, only a few hours left. No interest for some reason..

ebay.com link: Addams Family Pinball Playfield like NOS

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

ebay.com link » Addams Family Pinball Playfield Like Nos

I'm sure there will be some furious bidding in the last 15 seconds of the auction.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

NOS one here...
ebay.com link » Nos Williams Playfield The Addams Family Rare New Old Stock Replacement

Didn't the repro not have the serial numbers in the purple area and the NOS did have the number. I think that is a reproduction but I am not sure.

#20 9 years ago

Well, you are probably right, but all of the NOS ones Ive ever seen, had the original insert on the lower left under the apron, the IPB ones did not. The NOS one I bought recently does have the barcode in place of the purple spot. I had bought one of each.

IMG_3144.JPGIMG_3144.JPG
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

NOS one here...
ebay.com link » Nos Williams Playfield The Addams Family Rare New Old Stock Replacement

Given other NOS PF's go for 1500++(and then some +'s), given how rare any TAF PF's are, I actually don't think that is a horrible price.

#23 9 years ago

There is one real easy way to tell if a TAF playfield is an IPB repo. If you look at the red carpet that leads up to the left ramp, the IPB payfield has no carpet texture / print. NOS TAF playfields have carpet texture / carpet print in the red. The reason for this is that IPB didn't realize they were missing a screen when running their playfields. They ran a bunch of playfields and approved them. They then realized this carpet print was missing way after it was too late. Gene didn't want to lose money so he said ship them as is.

True story. Have a bunch of others that are funnier.

Thanks
Dougram

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

There is one real easy way to tell if a TAF playfield is an IPB repo. If you look at the red carpet that leads up to the left ramp, the IPB payfield has no carpet texture / print. NOS TAF playfields have carpet texture / carpet print in the red. The reason for this is that IPB didn't realize they were missing a screen when running their playfields. They ran a bunch of playfields and approved them. They then realized this carpet print was missing way after it was too late. Gene didn't want to lose money so he said ship them as is.
Thanks
Dougram

Must have been in the first generation runs. The carpet pattern is much more pronounced in the IPB 2Nd Gen I bought versus the NOS I bought. But so far the stray insert in the lower left still seems to be the giveaway.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

Thanks
Dougram

I love these stories, please tell more . I'm wondering how long it took before someone noticed and how much if any drama it caused. I knew about the outholes missing bevels, not pre-drilled or t-nutted properly etc but not the carpet texture. I assume the pro restorers leave it when they C.C them, I'm imagining Ron Kruzman staring through a magnifier painting texture back on carpeting.....

#26 9 years ago

IPB didn't route the chair hole. you had to do it yourself. Some IPB blue inserts are differant shades on the same pf. They didnt know enough to not mix lots of colored inserts.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

There is one real easy way to tell if a TAF playfield is an IPB repo. If you look at the red carpet that leads up to the left ramp, the IPB payfield has no carpet texture / print. NOS TAF playfields have carpet texture / carpet print in the red.

Either that or he was reproducing one of the TAF playfields made by Lenc Smith....

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa147.html

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

ebay.com link » Addams Family Pinball Playfield Like Nos

Snagged it at $1226.

Went for less than I was expecting

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Snagged it at $1226.
Went for less than I was expecting

I can't imagine spending that much on a playfield

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

A repro MM playfield is usually $900, so $300 more for a much harder to find PF does not seem out of line.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A repro MM playfield is usually $900, so $300 more for a much harder to find PF does not seem out of line.

I suppose. It's just a really big chunk of change.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you weren't around in the era of no repro PFs, the prices have come down a good amount on a lot of things that used to be unobtanium, from playfields to plastics to ramps. I do agree it is still expensive (that pf is more than I have spent on any game except a WH2O)

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No doubt.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If and when they reproduce them, they'll still be $900+ so an extra $300 now is no big deal. Plus I'll have a resaleable playfield come out of the game that I can recoup a couple hundred bucks. The core is worth more now than what cores will go for directly after a pf is reproed.

I've also spent $1000 on an NOS Defender Pf and $500 on an NOS Time Fantasy.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If you weren't around in the era of no repro PFs, the prices have come down a good amount on a lot of things that used to be unobtanium, from playfields to plastics to ramps. I do agree it is still expensive (that pf is more than I have spent on any game except a WH2O)

I'd disagree and see playfields listed for way more than they were 10 years ago. Used to see all sorts of NOS system 11 playfields for $200-$300. I think new ones from Stern were $300-$350. As the prices of new pf's have gone up, so has all the rest of them. I think CPR and IPB started at $500 and now they are $600-700. Mirco's are usually $800-$900.

#36 9 years ago

Gah, just realized this one is undrilled. At least it has dimples top and bottom.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I'd disagree and see playfields listed for way more than they were 10 years ago. Used to see all sorts of NOS system 11 playfields for $200-$300. I think new ones from Stern were $300-$350. As the prices of new pf's have gone up, so has all the rest of them. I think CPR and IPB started at $500 and now they are $600-700. Mirco's are usually $800-$900.

The harder to find ones (not F14s or something like that) have ALWAYS been expensive. MM pfs (NOS, pre-repro) were going for well over 1.5k. Not anymore. As I said, the unobtanium parts used to be much more expensive, and as they were repro'd have come come way down.

NOS HS ramps before repro'd - 200 bucks easy. GnR G ramp before repros - 500. Now you would be hardpressed to get 50 bucks for a NOS HS ramp (Since the plastic is garbage), and when the repro G ramps were available they were 130 bucks or so? (of course now that they are getting hard to find, they have krept back up.)

Yes, as things get more expensive to produce, the prices will go up accordingly.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I dropped about $3600.00 including shipping between those two I bought.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Gah, just realized this one is undrilled. At least it has dimples top and bottom.

No Way! I saw that, should've mentioned it when I posted the link!

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

No Way! I saw that, should've mentioned it when I posted the link!

Ha, looking at your pictures you have the opposite issue, the NOS is undrilled and the repro is drilled.

#41 9 years ago

I sold my triple cleared IPB pf a couple years ago for $1200. Prob get double that now. It was gorgeous. Just never ended up with the game.

#42 9 years ago

Supposedly Rick got the rights to make TAF pf's in his purchase of IPB, but just like Gene he is sitting on the license watching for it to hatch.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Ha, looking at your pictures you have the opposite issue, the NOS is undrilled and the repro is drilled.

Un-drilled NOS is likely a second with issues. I'd avoid that, personally.

#44 9 years ago

It was all drilled, it's in MI at the moment with the game undergoing a high end restore. It received 2 coats of auto clear, and the original NOS barcode was under the diamondplate. It had all the proper end date and other stamps on it.

IMG_3145.JPGIMG_3145.JPG
#45 9 years ago

You know, someone above commented about what happened when IPB figured out the carpet texture was missing. It was so funny. No one wanted to tell Gene as someone internally at IPB approved the first few samples. He was pissed when he found out. They had outlaid a bunch of money for the run so they started selling them at a discont when people started complaining. They had the artwork but no screen. They laid out more money to have the screen remade for later runs.

A lot of real funny shit happened while I was helping out at IPB and I saw a lot. I was there on day one when all the WMS pallets showed up, and was involved in unpacking and inventoring everything. Given Gene is out of the hobby now, I am gonna start a thread each week called I Remember When IPB.... It will have a funny story or internal drama for the time. More to come.

Thanks
Dougram

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

You know, someone above commented about what happened when IPB figured out the carpet texture was missing. It was so funny. No one wanted to tell Gene as someone internally at IPB approved the first few samples. He was pissed when he found out. They had outlaid a bunch of money for the run so they started selling them at a discont when people started complaining. They had the artwork but no screen. They laid out more money to have the screen remade for later runs.
A lot of real funny shit happened while I was helping out at IPB and I saw a lot. I was there on day one when all the WMS pallets showed up, and was involved in unpacking and inventoring everything. Given Gene is out of the hobby now, I am gonna start a thread each week called I Remember When IPB.... It will have a funny story or internal drama for the time. More to come.
Thanks
Dougram

Looking forward to that.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

It was all drilled, it's in MI at the moment with the game undergoing a high end restore. It received 2 coats of auto clear, and the original NOS barcode was under the diamondplate. It had all the proper end date and other stamps on it.

IMG_3145.JPG 259 KB

Relook at your first picture of the 2 side by side. The 4 holes around the electric chair hole are missing on the NOS field. As well as tons of other holes, the 3 pop bumper screw holes for each pop bumper for example. Unless you mean to say that you have since drilled it.

#48 9 years ago

Damn. Gene had several TAF playfields at the Texas a Pinball Festival a few years ago. On the last day of the show, he was selling them for $500 each. Now I wish I would have bought a few... or 10.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Relook at your first picture of the 2 side by side. The 4 holes around the electric chair hole are missing on the NOS field. As well as tons of other holes, the 3 pop bumper screw holes for each pop bumper for example. Unless you mean to say that you have since drilled it.

Oh yes I see what you mean now, well, I think I do remember him telling me he had to drill at least the pop bumper holes, and there must have been more. I never studied the 2. I did the side X side pic then boxed them both back up.
As the story goes, I had been the ""list"" at IPB for over a year, found and bought the repro during that time, then the NOS came along, I bought it, then sold the repro this year. looking at some of the progress pics, all holes have been drilled as needed. I was happy with the IPB one till the nos came along, 90 percent of all the parts being used on my game were nos that I had been collecting for a few years including the ramp assy, so it was fitting to go with the nos playfield. In the end I never really liked the colors on the IPB one, I did prefer the cloud detail though over the nos.

#50 9 years ago

If you want a rundown on the list of licenses that pertain to remaking TAF, have a listen to the latest Pinball Arcade kickstarter campaign. They are trying to raise $98,000 to make a digital recreation of the machine.

Now some of these image licenses won't pertain to the playfield itself, but it is certainly one of the more complex playfields in terms of license fees to reproduce.

License discussion kicks in (pardon the pun) at the 5:20 mark:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 159.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-there-no-repro-addams-family-playfields/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.