Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8057C6A3-40C8-4968-9F58-9A287FC92577_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    Soul Gem Jackpot (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    pinitech-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wjxxxx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

THa ha I love that all these years later you role out that argument about more coders and still can't grasp the concept that having ten people swinging a hammer at a single nail won't drive it home any faster.

Only 4 people, but you get the point.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Ha ha, you have no idea how this stuff works and how massively they increase profits on minor investments. History, mathematics and human biology have proven this model.

Quoted from Darscot:

This model even without subscription is proven to have significant impact on iterative products. They will increase the sale of your next release.

Quoted from Darscot:

In general terms I can explain how it works but professionally I could not provide you any details. Shoot me a PM, if you want to chat about the basics.

No - please provide a specific example, just 1 will do to start with, which you say has been 'proven' to work, but later when asked backtrack saying 'you could not provide any details'.
    If you can't back up your statements - it's all just hot air

#151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Protect the hive, is a reference to hornets when you poke the nest. Say the most mundane thing and the pinside regulars will come buzzing out.

I think most people know what protect the hive means, the question was more why you are using it in this context?

You offered your thoughts, the majority disagreed with you and gave reasoned explanations of their thoughts, that's not protecting the hive - that's indicating that you're in the minority.

One thing we both agree on though is that you "say the most mundane thing".

#159 3 years ago

Well Darscot sent me a PM, as I was in the process of replying he deleted it.

So I'll post my response here.

"It makes not a jot of difference that you are a software engineer - what it does tell me is that you aren't working in marketing.
    I don't understand what you mean by games hanging on the wall - I just have trophies - all my games are set up for playing.

The main difference between Fifa (and any video game) is that EVERY iteration of the game in every different living room around the world is the same or at the very least can be set the same, making comparisons between scores true and meaningful.

2 pinball machines set up next to each other play differently based on any number of things, steepness, left to right tilt, tilt settings, outlane settings, difficulty settings, etc. These are all things that the user themselves can control and alter EXACTLY- then you've got things the user can control to a certain degree, switch gaps, polish, choice of rubbers, etc. THEN take into account things that can't be changes by the user, thickness of clearcoat, natural warps in playfield, dimples, wear, minute differences in positioning of ramps or posts and you'll soon see that no 2 machines ever play the same - as such comparing scores between just 2 machines is futile, let alone trying to set up a highscore table across all games.

Pinball Arcade has these goals and a universal highscore table - that does work - BUT at the end of the day it is a video game of a pinball machine - not an actual mechanical pinball machine with all it's nuances and randomness - the very reasons why many people prefer pinball over video games.

Dutch Pinball, when they released Bride of Pinbot 2.0, did exactly that. Set up highscore tables, achievements, trophies, which are all uploaded onto their site - it didn't attract masses of additional sales and didn't work out - there's existing proof that it doesn't work.

As for CrazyLevi - I disagree with a lot of what he says, and often the manner he says it, but in this instance I agree with him 100%.

Wayne"

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I still think Stern and or JJP could develop a fun online platform that features leaderboards, contests, stats tracking, and player profiles all tied to a "JJP Player ID" or "Stern Player ID" account that is accessible through an app, charge $100 for a year for it, and in the process make a profit plus grow the hobby.

But as above, Dutch Pinball did this with Bride 2.0 - it didn't grow the hobby, and it there was no subscription - so no opportunity for ongoing revenue.

As for stats tracking and the like, maybe once Scorbit takes hold (if it ever does) these kind of figures can be released.

The way the Op pushed his thoughts and opinions, was that Stern and JJP are stupid for not doing this, and anyone who disagrees with him is also stupid. Despite the fact that majority of people opposing his view have more experience of pinball over the years and what attracts them, and others.
    By then making things personal, changing tack entirely (animation quality becomes online trophies!) is what could really "harm to the community" - if it were not for the fact that he's basically been tagged as a troll with no knowledge. YMMV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wjxxxx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-pinball-animations-so-basic?tu=wjxxxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.