Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8057C6A3-40C8-4968-9F58-9A287FC92577_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    Soul Gem Jackpot (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    pinitech-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

Because AAA video games have hundreds of artists working over years to make those animations and art assets. Stern has around a dozen animators trying to grind something out every six months or so.

Most of their animations in recent years are acceptable to very good. Of course you might disagree with the artistic style, like Avengers using an pseudo-animated comic book style. But most of them are pretty good, whenever the code is "finished" and the presentation has been polished.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

While I think it is true JJP has the best animations by far, Stern is doing much better lately. I think Spooky is second - they look really good on Alice Cooper and R&M.

Alice Cooper is fantastic. But Rick and Morty? I know there is some original stuff in there, but it's mostly video clips. It's not that I think the game doesn't look great, but it's animations from the show...

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder why JJP consistently make games with far higher quality animations then Stern with probably 25% of the staff size?

By having less than 25% of the output of Stern?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

By spending the proper amount of time on software development versus rushing code development in order to crank out 4-6 games per year?

What a crazy idea, a pinball company that actually makes pinball games.

People can dog on Stern all they want, they make more good games in one year than most other make in their entire company history. I won't dispute that some games come out of the oven too soon, but it's been a while since Stern outright abandoned anything.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Because you are not playing the screen - but I think Jurassic Park was very good. Really don't need much better than that for pinball
    I am surprised we have not seen any video modes with the new LCD screen -
    They were cheesy, but I always liked the video modes on the old DMD games

Star Wars

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I think video modes on lcd should be a common feature like they were on dmd. But in high qualify animation. There a big difference between the star wars video mode and the Houdini one.

Oof. No thank you. The graphics aren't the issue.

Pinball video modes are tolerable at best. I came to bat around a ball, not play a basic Flash level video game. I'm sympathetic to a degree though. How much can they really do with 2 flipper buttons and the lockdown button?

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

Everyone cries out for innovation, and it seems like the last frontier is the video screen, where there has been no progress since Aerosmith.
    AIQ looks great, but its a challenge to find something on the play-field that isn't derivative of earlier games.

If you're going to be that reductive, the LCD screen is just derivative of the DMD.

What innovation could be done on the video screen anyhow? "better animations" is not innovation or constructive criticism

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody actually wants innovation. Pinball is not about innovation.
    You should find a new hobby.

There is innovation. People just don't appreciate innovations because they reduce them into simpler component parts that they sorta recognize.

"Well AIQ is just the spinning platter from Safecracker with some new velocity detection, which uses the raising mech from Cirqus Voltaire, and it feeds a subway with some old Flight 2000 mechs they probably still had laying around the factory" - some asshole

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These are all terrible fucking ideas!!!
    DOn't you understand that a pinball company will ONLY spend time and resources and something that will provide a return on investment? None of these dumb suggestions would increase stern's sales by ONE UNIT. It would be a complete waste of time and money.
    Why do you hate Stern and want them to go out of business?

Adding those things might not be for everyone, but they certainly do add value to the product for some consumers. And many of those implementations, once broadly done, could be implemented in all their games going forward for relatively little cost.

People keep complaining about prices going up and they just want some value added. Stern putting out something like DJ Mode or whatever is a good example of this. It took a bit of work to code it, now it's relatively low effort to put into all their games, and even if it's rarely used...a few people will get some value out of this low cost addition.

Anyhow. It just doesn't make sense to me how people are so anti-online features just because they don't personally value them. Or if it is really taking up that many resources at a company like Stern.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Don't forget messaging, voice activation and video conference calls, right?
    As if the plague of social media and technology hasn't infected enough things, now its gotta claim pinball machines too.

Sometimes I wonder if Stern should make an integrated streaming topper. Just the complete package with a camera on the playfield, a camera pointed at the player, and direct audio/video out. Add a laptop and go to town.

It's not that hard to make your own streaming rig, but anyone who has been in the hobby knows that there is no shortage of people who rather just throw money at Stern.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

None of those things are pinball. All of those things are useless in pinball because every machine is different and cheating is impossibly easy.
    Have you ever played pinball, or owned a pinball machine?

Yet people clearly don't care. They just want to play with their friends

#163 3 years ago

Saying the idea wouldn't work because Dutch Pinball couldn't get it to work isn't a compelling argument. They could barely build machines that were already paid for. It's intellectual dishonest to say that no one cared when only like 100 people had the possibility to care.

Fine there will never be a global leaderboard. People still just want to play with their friends. It's not that difficult to grasp this, but people want to keep arguing "no you don't actually want the thing you want"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-pinball-animations-so-basic?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.