Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8057C6A3-40C8-4968-9F58-9A287FC92577_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    Soul Gem Jackpot (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    pinitech-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 3 years ago

No one realistically expects anywhere near AAA game level quality. I also want to say Stern has made some improvements recently. They are still around the level of budget knock off indie video games. Its not so much the graphics, that I understand. The feature set is what drives me crazy. It is just so far below where it needs to be. That is across the board, the industry as whole is still pretty much in the dark ages when it comes to features.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from pterofractal:

I think you hit the nail on the head here, my biggest issue with the Infinity Quest animations were the times where the animations didn't convey the information well. Look how little fan fare there is for this 50 mil jackpot!
    [quoted image]

Wow that that is embarrassingly bad, even just the basics of legibility its a complete disaster. Stern doesn't even have the basics of layout sorted out yet, let alone animation.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody actually wants innovation. Pinball is not about innovation.
    You should find a new hobby.

LOL, speak for yourself.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

My thoughts exactly. The new displays are awesome, but aren't what I care about when it comes to pinball.
    Personally. I'd much rather see the companies spend their development money on more mechanical features for the playfied, rather than over the top graphics.

I kinda agree, graphics on the screen don't matter that much to me. That being said I want to see innovation that having a full size screen will allow. Online!! Leaderboards, achievements, collectibles, friends lists, weekly challenges (Ok let be realistic how about quarterly) sure you could probably half ass this and make it work on a DMD but you really need a proper screen to convey the information required. Sterns screen looks pretty ass and I would like to see a little improvement graphically but its lower priority to me than everything else.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These are all terrible fucking ideas!!!
    DOn't you understand that a pinball company will ONLY spend time and resources and something that will provide a return on investment? None of these dumb suggestions would increase stern's sales by ONE UNIT. It would be a complete waste of time and money.
    Why do you hate Stern and want them to go out of business?

Ha ha, you have no idea how this stuff works and how massively they increase profits on minor investments. History, mathematics and human biology have proven this model. It cracks me up that you consider yourself an expert on these areas.

Dopamine, tap, tap, tap

#74 3 years ago

Would you be willing to pay a subscription for any of these features? Like $5 a month? Stern probably wouldn't do something like this without incentive, but being able to make continued revenue off their customers (as opposed to needing to sell them an entirely new machine all the time) seems pretty persuasive.

This model even without subscription is proven to have significant impact on iterative products. They will increase the sale of your next release. Subscription is great for the balance sheet and shareholders but it is much further down the road.

This is to Levi, Ha ha I love that all these years later you role out that argument about more coders and still can't grasp the concept that having ten people swinging a hammer at a single nail won't drive it home any faster.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

ha ha I love that after all these years you don't understand that Stern has more than 1 nail to hammer at a time. Judging by the amount of games they put out, they have at least 6 nails.

A pin as far is software is very small, all I said all those years ago throwing bodies at software may not solve the problem. Here you are with no reasonable retort or counter point so your just rolling it out again.

#82 3 years ago

Do you have examples you could share? I'd love to learn more about that.

In general terms I can explain how it works but professionally I could not provide you any details. Shoot me a PM, if you want to chat about the basics.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Weekly challenges:
    Siri: "Hit loop 10 times in a row for a trophy"
    Everyone: *takes off glass*

The irony here is comedy gold, if you are going to take the glass off and cheat to earn a weekly challenge, your already a fish on the line. This is exactly why these types of features exist.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Sorry dude. Not interested in being one of your "fish on the line." My point is show how meaningless it really is.
    Pinball doesnt need any of this crap.

If you already addicted and completely in love with pinball, I agree with you, this functionality is meaningless and does not add value for you. If as a business you want to sell more machines and get more people in love with pinball this functionality is proven to do that.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

You're applying proven methods among average consumers who own smartphones and play cheap games.
    Most people who typically buy and own pinball machines are not your average consumer. (Is the average consumer willing to work and maintain their machine?)
    There has always been this obsession on pinside with bringing pinball into the mainstream and trying to make it more popular.
    It will never translate well into the mainstream. For nearly 100 years, it never has. Its pinball.
    There are people who enjoy chess and bowling. It's like trying to say those things arent good enough so they need to be more innovative too.
    This isn't for the mainstream. Especially at the potentially high(er) cost of these machines. Stern would be out of business.

This is not high cost functionality, this is very basic stuff. You guys that are so against this are making it out to be way more than it is. Is it really such a bad idea to add some achievements to a pin or allow for a friends list. Even peer to peer multiplayer on a pin would be very minor. This is early nineties technology not exactly cutting edge stuff. This is the kind of project you assign to a co-op.

#107 3 years ago

Man I should know better. This place just goes protect the hive over the most mundane of conversation. This cost to much money, no one wants this, do not change pinball. Man this place can be miserable. I have no idea what is so threatening about stuff that has been routine for decades.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What does this mean?

And this.

I don't think anyone is saying "Don't change pinball" I personally have no interest in leaderboards and all that but if it didn't increase cost much and enough people want it then fine. I would much rather have the change be in the form of something that affects gameplay. A new style ramo or spinner, innovation in lighting and sound. stuff like that. Online? no interest at all.
    Edit
    I meant ramp obviously but just had to leave "New Style Ramo"

Protect the hive, is a reference to hornets when you poke the nest. Say the most mundane thing and the pinside regulars will come buzzing out.

The stuff I'm talking about is routine in basically ever interactive media for the last 25 years.

All of this dramatically affects how it feels to play the game and creates depth and a reward system. It just gives you more reasons to push start one more time. I find hilarious that all these pinball junkies act like that no one in pinball enjoys that feeling or would want to increase it.

Nothing I am talking about has a damn thing to do with social media.

P.S. There is a very loud vocal group that appears to have no idea what "online" even is. They just know they hate it and if it comes to pinball the industry will die.

#122 3 years ago

Yes for simplicity in this conversation I am a programmer. I do regret ever posting in this type of topic, I forget the the vast majority of people have no idea what online brings behind the scenes. Even if Stern never delivered a single online feature to the end user, the data collection alone would make huge improvements to their product. It's about creating an experience, its about giving all your user more ways to engage and giving them more rewards. That is what it means to add online connectivity. The problem is everyone is an expert even though they clearly have no experience in the field. Donkeys like Levi just endless spew the same stupidity and people think it makes him smart. I'll probably get modded for not being nice to him now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-pinball-animations-so-basic?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.