Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8057C6A3-40C8-4968-9F58-9A287FC92577_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    Soul Gem Jackpot (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    pinitech-1 (resized).jpg
    There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Protect the hive, is a reference to hornets when you poke the nest. Say the most mundane thing and the pinside regulars will come buzzing out.

I think most people know what protect the hive means, the question was more why you are using it in this context?

You offered your thoughts, the majority disagreed with you and gave reasoned explanations of their thoughts, that's not protecting the hive - that's indicating that you're in the minority.

One thing we both agree on though is that you "say the most mundane thing".

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

What don't you like about Wonka? I don't own the game, but I have thought the film clips maybe get old. I kind of like the way they have integrated so much information about game status into the screen.

The whole screen being the chocolate factory is awesome (great animation work) but the way clips from the movies are used in Wonka is rather unappealing. More often then not movie clips are played on a loop with no actor audio which limits theme integration. Then there's times where you hear Willy Wonka say something and it's being played over a different scene where Wonka is talking with no actor audio. Its all a bit odd, I'm not sure if it's due to some licensing restriction.

#153 3 years ago

Hey guys, not sure if you've heard...

Darscot is a programmer!

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I could really care less about what is on the screen animation-wise. I am watching the ball and playfield, and the screen is only useful for showing score and progress. If I want to watch a movie, i'll sit down and turn the TV on.

That's the misconception or attitude I think many have on here. Modern lcd design shouldn't be about sitting and watching clips (Rick and Morty) or animation work. Ideally effective backbox work allows the designers to draw players into the universe in a way that compliments layout and mechs down below. Also allowing players the ability to follow certain goals more effectively via the LCD. Or....as Jack has many times mentioned, it helps other players not presently playing aid or be engaged by the machine when not playing.

Also, let's imagine modern games with a very small lcd or dmd screen. As rarehero mentioned, those animations often effectively used humor and timing incredibly well, buuuuut if those were still in existence as the entryway point for new players, young players, pinball would certainly seem very, very dated, and possibly just for their grandparents.

Quoted from branlon8:

I don't agree with this attitude - if pinball is to grow then new people have to get into the hobby. If people new to the hobby can't ask questions or say things which are considered by some to be "stupid", then where does this leave us ? I also don't have sympathy for the "insiders" getting "cranky". Pinside is a place to express your opinions, ask questions, share knowledge, learn and have fun. If some people have fun being cranky then fine. But if you are getting irritated at "new people who say stupid things without taking the time to understand the community or the hobby" maybe you should ask yourself why this is - what danger do you see? - but otherwise, it is very easy to simply ignore certain threads - don't open them, don't read them - no harm no foul. I used to find the arrogance of some "insiders" or "old timers" irritating. Now I just find it kind of amusing.
    And by the way, I liked the rest of your post - nicely written and helpful - thanks for that !

I agree with the view that negative attitudes over patience is more annoying also, than helpful to new or existing users.

Imagine teachers castigating small children because of counting and literacy issues. Yeesh! Cranky indeed.

Sarcasm/snark is a bad cultural trend, and omnipresent. It boils humor down to just being mean spirited or lying momentarily to make someone else appear foolish. Cheap laugh, no depth, minimal payoff, and longterm shitty cultural effects.

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

That's the misconception or attitude I think many have on here. Modern lcd design shouldn't be about sitting and watching clips (Rick and Morty) or animation work. Ideally effective backbox work allows the designers to draw players into the universe in a way that compliments layout and mechs down below. Also allowing players the ability to follow certain goals more effectively via the LCD. Or....as Jack has many times mentioned, it helps other players not presently playing aid or be engaged by the machine when not playing.
    Also, let's imagine modern games with a very small lcd or dmd screen. As rarehero mentioned, those animations often effectively used humor and timing incredibly well, buuuuut if those were still in existence as the entryway point for new players, young players, pinball would certainly seem very, very dated, and possibly just for their grandparents.

I agree with the view that negative attitudes over patience is more annoying also, than helpful to new or existing users.
    Imagine teachers castigating small children because of counting and literacy issues. Yeesh! Cranky indeed.
    Sarcasm/snark is a bad cultural trend, and omnipresent. It boils humor down to just being mean spirited or lying momentarily to make someone else appear foolish. Cheap laugh, no depth, minimal payoff, and longterm shitty cultural effects.

What's "snarky/sarcastic" about telling someone - literally - that their ideas are terrible, and that their "provocative" thread is really just noob clickbait we see once a month?

Seems like a straight shooter like you would appreciate that kind of honesty.

"snark" would be me suggesting that the bubble just may burst!

#156 3 years ago

I for one have always enjoyed the video modes on DMD machines. They're often humorous and pretty short, so I never felt that they interfered with the actual pinball gameplay.

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Its really OK. Those who cannot create a more thoughtful response usually default to ad hominem attacks.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

I don't agree with this attitude - if pinball is to grow then new people have to get into the hobby.

I don't care about pinball growing. Maybe it should just gracefully die off, who knows. Truth is it would be fine for a long time with nothing but the games that have already been made. Pursing growth doesn't lead to better games, better community, or much more than $1000 toppers as far as I can tell.

Pinside isn't better for having a bunch of rich people who only buy new in box games and are afraid to take the glass off before they start asking what the next new in box game they should buy is. Oh look, they made a poll.

I came back to read the Avengers threads because I was actually excited about a new Keith game. The amount of whining has already turned me off. And yes, plenty of it from new members. They've learned to complain, not sure what else they're really learning here.

If you want to spend your time wishing for online leaderboards and trophies and bitching that comic book animations aren't Disney level quality then have at it. But not how I want to waste my time.

I realize my experience working on a single game doesn't make me some kind of expert god, but everyone who's got more experience than me has already stopped posting here because who wants to engage with the community when you just get shit on every day? So I tried, and has there been a single thoughtful response to anything I wrote? Nope.

People would rather rehash the tired "Pinball should be Call of Duty" argument for the five hundredth time.

#159 3 years ago

Well Darscot sent me a PM, as I was in the process of replying he deleted it.

So I'll post my response here.

"It makes not a jot of difference that you are a software engineer - what it does tell me is that you aren't working in marketing.
    I don't understand what you mean by games hanging on the wall - I just have trophies - all my games are set up for playing.

The main difference between Fifa (and any video game) is that EVERY iteration of the game in every different living room around the world is the same or at the very least can be set the same, making comparisons between scores true and meaningful.

2 pinball machines set up next to each other play differently based on any number of things, steepness, left to right tilt, tilt settings, outlane settings, difficulty settings, etc. These are all things that the user themselves can control and alter EXACTLY- then you've got things the user can control to a certain degree, switch gaps, polish, choice of rubbers, etc. THEN take into account things that can't be changes by the user, thickness of clearcoat, natural warps in playfield, dimples, wear, minute differences in positioning of ramps or posts and you'll soon see that no 2 machines ever play the same - as such comparing scores between just 2 machines is futile, let alone trying to set up a highscore table across all games.

Pinball Arcade has these goals and a universal highscore table - that does work - BUT at the end of the day it is a video game of a pinball machine - not an actual mechanical pinball machine with all it's nuances and randomness - the very reasons why many people prefer pinball over video games.

Dutch Pinball, when they released Bride of Pinbot 2.0, did exactly that. Set up highscore tables, achievements, trophies, which are all uploaded onto their site - it didn't attract masses of additional sales and didn't work out - there's existing proof that it doesn't work.

As for CrazyLevi - I disagree with a lot of what he says, and often the manner he says it, but in this instance I agree with him 100%.

Wayne"

#160 3 years ago

The people telling others "your ideas suck", "that would be the end of pinball", "that's not pinball", etc do more harm to this community then people simply discussing what they would like to see in regards to technology in future games. There's nothing wrong with saying online leaderboards would be cool, or stats tracking would be nice to have. The amount of negative comments in game threads over artwork, animations, quality, etc are mostly due to the outrageous prices Stern, JJP and other manufacturers are now charging for pins. As prices have gone up so have expectations.

I still think Stern and or JJP could develop a fun online platform that features leaderboards, contests, stats tracking, and player profiles all tied to a "JJP Player ID" or "Stern Player ID" account that is accessible through an app, charge $100 for a year for it, and in the process make a profit plus grow the hobby.

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I still think Stern and or JJP could develop a fun online platform that features leaderboards, contests, stats tracking, and player profiles all tied to a "JJP Player ID" or "Stern Player ID" account that is accessible through an app, charge $100 for a year for it, and in the process make a profit plus grow the hobby.

But as above, Dutch Pinball did this with Bride 2.0 - it didn't grow the hobby, and it there was no subscription - so no opportunity for ongoing revenue.

As for stats tracking and the like, maybe once Scorbit takes hold (if it ever does) these kind of figures can be released.

The way the Op pushed his thoughts and opinions, was that Stern and JJP are stupid for not doing this, and anyone who disagrees with him is also stupid. Despite the fact that majority of people opposing his view have more experience of pinball over the years and what attracts them, and others.
    By then making things personal, changing tack entirely (animation quality becomes online trophies!) is what could really "harm to the community" - if it were not for the fact that he's basically been tagged as a troll with no knowledge. YMMV

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's nothing wrong with saying online leaderboards would be cool

There's nothing wrong with saying that they're irrelevant as well, since every game is set up differently and plays totally different. A score on one machine is meaningless to a score on another machine.

The reality is, most people who love pinball love it because it's pinball. 99% of everyone else doesn't understand that it's more than flapping the flippers for 2 minutes. Apps, subscriptions, all this "normal modern gamer" stuff just isn't gonna move the needle in pinball at all.

#163 3 years ago

Saying the idea wouldn't work because Dutch Pinball couldn't get it to work isn't a compelling argument. They could barely build machines that were already paid for. It's intellectual dishonest to say that no one cared when only like 100 people had the possibility to care.

Fine there will never be a global leaderboard. People still just want to play with their friends. It's not that difficult to grasp this, but people want to keep arguing "no you don't actually want the thing you want"

#164 3 years ago

BKSOR is cool and with the topper integration is a Wow. The animations will progress and get better and better and best practices take hold from experience and maybe some trial and error.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't care about pinball growing. Maybe it should just gracefully die off, who knows. Truth is it would be fine for a long time with nothing but the games that have already been made. Pursing growth doesn't lead to better games, better community, or much more than $1000 toppers as far as I can tell.
    Pinside isn't better for having a bunch of rich people who only buy new in box games and are afraid to take the glass off before they start asking what the next new in box game they should buy is. Oh look, they made a poll.
    I came back to read the Avengers threads because I was actually excited about a new Keith game. The amount of whining has already turned me off. And yes, plenty of it from new members. They've learned to complain, not sure what else they're really learning here.
    If you want to spend your time wishing for online leaderboards and trophies and bitching that comic book animations aren't Disney level quality then have at it. But not how I want to waste my time.
    I realize my experience working on a single game doesn't make me some kind of expert god, but everyone who's got more experience than me has already stopped posting here because who wants to engage with the community when you just get shit on every day? So I tried, and has there been a single thoughtful response to anything I wrote? Nope.
    People would rather rehash the tired "Pinball should be Call of Duty" argument for the five hundredth time.

Well i don’t know if code in pinball can reach the quality animation of a video game.
    But If it is possible, why not having the same quality? I think ACNC, Dialed In, Jurassic Park are really great in the creativity and graphics.
    I know a pinball machine is not a video game but you can’t prevent manufacturers to find more pinball fans and if lcd animations development is a way to go then i won’t complain about it.

#166 3 years ago

Cutscene animations in video games are incredibly expensive. Your average CGI animated movie costs well over a million dollars a minute.

In pinball the LCD really isn't that important, it just needs to be filled with "something".

But maybe deeproot will solve this "problem" since they seem to be an art company first, pinball company second.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Cutscene animations in video games are incredibly expensive....

And the worst part of a game for half the people playing.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

BKSOR is cool and with the topper integration is a Wow. The animations will progress and get better and better and best practices take hold from experience and maybe some trial and error.

The LCD work on BKSOR is amazing, yet still the ungrateful noobs are pissed that they aren't getting Toy Story quality clips for their Extra Ball animation.

I would agree with the person who said that the only thing anybody learns around here is to complain, piss, and moan. Monkey see, monkey do, and when a noob shows up here they quickly find out what kind of threads get the biggest pop; besides new release stuff, they are ALL complaint threads about everything under the sun - prices, playfields, themes, "build quality", animation, rules, code, etc. etc.

There's your "negativity." If I were a young noob looking to make a splash here, I'd surely start a thread titled "Are prices too high with the bubble about to burst as there's no innovation in pinball also why does my playfield dimple is THIS what you call good QC?!"

Surely we have more to offer?

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And the worst part of a game for half the people playing.

I enjoy cutscenes, it gives me time to take a quick sip of my beer, otherwise I’m instantly hitting both flippers to keep my “game” moving along.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What's "snarky/sarcastic" about telling someone - literally - that their ideas are terrible, and that their "provocative" thread is really just noob clickbait we see once a month?
    Seems like a straight shooter like you would appreciate that kind of honesty.
    "snark" would be me suggesting that the bubble just may burst!

What's snarky? The fact that you're choosing to engage someone new to the forum, (A place that ideally allows an open platform where people feel GOOD about posting) in ways that could result in someone feeling negated or devalued.

I may eat at Burger King here and there, but if I'm driving up to the pickup window, I'd rather greet an employee by saying "Hello, how are ya?" and "have a nice day!", then these burgers SUCK! (I mean, they do.....but I'm a slacker for making lunches, and a glutton for punishment!)

My point being, frustration is definitely understandable, and certainly for a forum geezer like yourself, but how does one get to graduate from noob to geezer if the dominant geezers arrive on repetitious threads, over and over again, simply to smacktalk the people trying to be accepted? Weeeee. Fuuuuuun!

Your default language in general seems to be that of a snarkologist. Snarkmaster MD? That said, I do feel you are informed, insightful, have much experience here and out in the field, and seem to be a genuinely bright guy overall.

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The LCD work on BKSOR is amazin

Very much agree! So much shit talk on this game, all the while it has really great personality! I wonder if the lack of love comes from no license, or the actual gameplay. I've always found it fast, angry, and fun!

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Seems to me the majority of opinions were actually positive. Yes some nitpicking and several people criticizing the artwork. Any creative work will have it's fair share of criticisms.

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think it does matter Aurich, at least the people that have jobs and want to keep them at these pinball manufacturers care about it. Gracefully die off? Come on man!

Growth has absolutely led to better games, LCD's etc. It almost died off around 2008-2009

Sorry, but i want new games for a long time to come. And continued innovation like P3.

But not to worry, there is a LONG pinball runway and getting longer every year.

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Cutscene animations in video games are incredibly expensive. Your average CGI animated movie costs well over a million dollars a minute.
    In pinball the LCD really isn't that important, it just needs to be filled with "something".
    But maybe deeproot will solve this "problem" since they seem to be an art company first, pinball company second.

But they no longer have their "art company", it's pinball or bust.

#175 3 years ago

Why even bother with any innovation? We should all just go back to flipperless machines with score reels.

But seriously, one of the reasons I left NeoGeo forums was the way the community treated new members. Here it can sometimes be more of the same. Some incredibly cranky posters many times just take it out on new members. That's a shame.

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

But they no longer have their "art company", it's pinball or bust.

True, they must be low on artists considering they let John design that dumb Hammer Tested logo.

#177 3 years ago

My SW (Movie-Edition, not Comic-Edition) has Movie-Clips. That works. But that is the exception for me.

I like, that my AS has cartoon-style-clips and not video-clips from MTV.

The most LCD animations based on movies are not so attractive for me than cartoon style.

So i do not like, what i see on GotG and Munsters, but IM, BKSOR and JP are great.

#178 3 years ago

I've been adding color LCDs and movie clips to virtual pinball games since 2011, and created all the animations for Full Throttle in 2013-14, so I have more experience than anyone in this field I'd say.

My take was just to replicate what a DMD did perfectly.....very quick, very short bursts of visual information, that can be glanced at and understood in a second. Only when holding the ball do you show the player something a bit longer.

Pinball doesn't need complex and expensive animations. Player score and game progress are really the only things players are scanning for in the half-second they lift their eyes from the playfield. Everything else is just padding.

NEVER have movie clips playing for more than a few seconds at a time, and only play very exciting clips that compliment the action on the table. See Alien pinball.

Games should not be designed for spectators, everything should be focused on the player experience. If people want to watch you play, they can watch you play.....not stare at a TV in the backglass.

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I've been adding color LCDs and movie clips to virtual pinball games since 2011, and created all the animations for Full Throttle in 2013-14, so I have more experience than anyone in this field I'd say.
    My take was just to replicate what a DMD did perfectly.....very quick, very short bursts of visual information, that can be glanced at and understood in a second. Only when holding the ball do you show the player something a bit longer.
    Pinball doesn't need complex and expensive animations. Player score and game progress are really the only things players are scanning for in the half-second they lift their eyes from the playfield. Everything else is just padding.
    NEVER have movie clips playing for more than a few seconds at a time, and only play very exciting clips that compliment the action on the table. See Alien pinball.
    Games should not be designed for spectators, everything should be focused on the player experience. If people want to watch you play, they can watch you play.....not stare at a TV in the backglass.

Then why LCD? Why not going on with dmd?
    I’m very happy with ACNC, BKSOR, Dialed in, JP lcd animations. I think it should be the standard quality.

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

So I tried, and has there been a single thoughtful response to anything I wrote? Nope.

Fair enough. Truth be told, I was late opening this thread because I felt I already knew the answer. Basically what you said - time and money: Pinballs are small volume products which can not compete with the large volumes of PC and PS games created. When the LCD screens started coming out I figured the pinball manufacturers are going to have to spend a lot more resources filling those screens, possibly with the effect of taking funds away from other areas of the game - like the playfield. Not sure if this has happened. I think the manufacturers have done an admirable job filling the screens with life. There were a lot of complaints about Oktoberfest in particular, but I thought it fulfilled its purpose - I particularly liked the frothy beer filling the screen at the end of a ball. When I first heard about Dialed In my thoughts were about how on earth will they fill up that enormous screen when they have no film clips like with WOZ and TH. I still think they did an amazing job with it - I really like the scrolling cityscape. DMD and alphanumeric can't provide much information so much of the game status needs to be displayed with the inserts - this is changing with LCD screens - the screen is becoming a more integrated aspect of the game. It appears Willy Wonka took this to a new level by putting a great deal of game status on the screen. I do see a certain danger with the screens playing a larger and larger role in game play and I'm not sure I like this. I am not aware of current LCD games having video modes - which is good - we could really move into the fusion of video game and pinball. I have also wondered if a video game producer and pinball manufacturer might team up which might yield much more "high quality" videos - it might be quite a bit of work to coordinate video game sequences with playfield effects - I cannot judge. I am not sure what to think about your comment that you would like to see more creativity in the screen design/animations. I am not sure where your thoughts are here - I would be quite interested in your perspectives. I find the screens up to now to be pretty creative, of course some more than others. The expectation side of the coin is really tricky. Everybody will be different, but since we are used to high resolution, life like animations in video games, it is, of course, not hard to make the comparison and have high expectations on the pinball game screen content - even if your left brain half says it's too costly.

I was also intrigued by your statement "Levi is just the Jiminy Cricket of Pinside's conscience, saying things so everyone else does have to". I think there might be a pinside conscience and I was asking myself if I felt represented by this. Jury is still out on this. Maybe it's Levi maybe not. I had to look into Wikipedia to refresh my Disney knowledge "Jiminy Cricket was transformed for the Disney adaptation into a comical and wisecracking partner who accompanies Pinocchio on his adventures" - I assume this is what you mean.

#181 3 years ago

I think JJP animations look the best in the industry as JP DeWin is so damn talented and great at his job.

What I imagine his reaction being if ever confronted about his animation work lol.

#182 3 years ago

ALIEN has the best screen work in all of pinball so everyone should just listen to Aurich, at least on this subject.

Concentrate less on animation and more on delivering information to the user.

For example, the tiny scores on most Stern games is criminal.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

THIS.

#184 3 years ago

For example, the tiny scores on most Stern games is criminal.</blockquote

Tiny score screens on SW/IMDN I thought were really good. I have a BKsor now and it literally givers you no instructions at any time...it's weird. Maybe that's the old school feel they're going for?

#185 3 years ago

Here's a thought experiment, if you took your favorite modern game, and had a sleek more minimal ui, that clearly displayed score, mission and mode progress, and any other information that was relevant to the gameplay, would you use that in lieu of modern animation suites and more stylized displays?

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

ALIEN has the best screen work in all of pinball so everyone should just listen to Aurich, at least on this subject.

Another plus for DMD was the aspect ratio. Wiiiiiiiiiide. Perfect to display a big ass million/billion point score. Perfect to display some text telling you about rules or bonuses. Easy to glance, read, and absorb. I know it was cheaper to just use stock 16:9 LCDs...but the wide DMD ratio is just perfect for pinball.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think JJP animations look the best in the industry

Wow there's a big fuckin surprise.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Lol. Poor Panzer.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Lol. Poor Panzer.

Panzer thinks you should expect more out of your $6k-9k pinball machine.

Or so he says. 40 fucking times a day.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Like toys...don't forget the toys.

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Another plus for DMD was the aspect ratio. Wiiiiiiiiiide. Perfect to display a big ass million/billion point score. Perfect to display some text telling you about rules or bonuses. Easy to glance, read, and absorb. I know it was cheaper to just use stock 16:9 LCDs...but the wide DMD ratio is just perfect for pinball.

I am not sure if I would trade any LCD, and their animations, for the display on my MBr.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

*cue RAZA*?

Seems like that might be part of the approach they're taking. Just a few more days!

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

*cue RAZA*?
    Seems like that might be part of the approach they're taking. Just a few more days!

A more focused screen like that might be the best of both worlds. They need to be more deliberate about what information they show on it, but they can still show fun high quality animations. A smaller screen is also easier to glance at

#194 3 years ago

16X9 makes the most sense, as most of your existing assets from licencors are going to be 16X9.

Doing a LCD screen with a different ratio just seems to be asking to make your life more difficult.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

16X9 makes the most sense, as most of your existing assets from licencors are going to be 16X9.
    Doing a LCD screen with a different ratio just seems to be asking to make your life more difficult.

Makes sense, but stern keeps taking liscensing deals without getting a ton of assets. Framing animation in a wider ratio seems harder, but framing ui and text seems easier

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just kinda seems like the 16X9 format is so dominant in home media, that it's more unfamiliar at this point to frame it any other way.

I'd jokingly say just make the entire backbox an LCD screen, but I just don't dig that for P3's format for the playfield, so I doubt I would enjoy that, (And KNOW Pinside would loathe it.) if any company tried that.

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Or so he says. 40 fucking times a day.

41 times Yes, customers should get a lot of game for $6k - $9k+.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Fun fact: Every time people use the word "animations" instead of "animation", it makes animators over 40 cry.
    As for display animation, B/W and Stern had excellent animators working within the limitations of the DMD, due to one word: TIMING. Timing is what makes animation fun, pop, and leave a lasting memory. It's not about resolution or polygons or looking like AAA video games...it's timing. Take a look at what's going on with the animation of Metallica, AC/DC, Simpsons, Family Guy, MM, AFM, MB (or any B/W game, really)...from an animators standpoint, everything you see "plays"...even though the limitations are dots, you know exactly what you're looking at, and the timing is excellent & memorable. The comedy is sold...the action is sold..because the timing is tight and well animated. Timing is what's generally missing in today's pinball display animation. It's either even/floaty "flash" style, or weightless wonky 3D models. This is what makes modern pinball animation look dated: funky timing.

THIS 1000%. There is no punch or life to any of it.

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I don't know why but the tiny scores make me feel like I' got 5 points during the whole game. Its not exciting.

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

41 times Yes, customers should get a lot of game for $6k - $9k+.

Yeah a lot of fun, not just toys and flash and waiting with shitty themes and in some cases a lack of substance.

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-pinball-animations-so-basic/page/4?hl=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.