Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6 Million.jpg
blameothers-for-price-increases.jpg
I-cannot-afford-pins-anymore-I-am-pissed.jpg
IMG_1564.JPG
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 9 years ago

> Why are people paying so much for pins?

Supply/demand

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I've got a single Transformer toy that's worth $8,000. Would I pay that now for one? No way. I purchased it in 1995 for $600. Go figure.

Please tell me you're going to sell that soon.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I should It's so hard to part with collectibles. Which is another reason why pin prices are heading so high.

It's got to be hard to sell something like that when prices are going up, but certainly there is a finite window of time that people would pay crazy money for it, right? Eventually, it'll be like $5 again.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

A mint in box Fortress Maximus sold for 10K 2 years ago. Mine's about as mint as it gets. That Pepsi Optimus Prime is worth another $3,000. The toy market is insane and makes a pinball machine with TONS of moving parts seem like a bargain.

Awesome. I bet if you do research on other collectible markets, you can figure out approximately how long the bubble will last.

And you make a great point...some things, like cars, have a higher floor for prices - because the parts themselves have value. Toys, not so much.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Eventually when everyone who once had a connection to the original toy line is dead, then yes, the value may go down.

So...yes, the value will go down. It'll be long before everyone "is dead" though. I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if there is an example of a nostalgia based collectible market that didn't have a quick bubble and crash. It didn't take people dying to pop the bubble on baseball cards. Or muscle cars. People who are paying top dollar for rare NES games right now are what, in their 30's and 40's. No way someone is going to pay $50k for a NES cartridge 40 years from now.

They may still be going up now, but it will go down again.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

Muscle cars transcend the generational mark.

For some reason, I thought the bubble had already burst on muscle cars. Apparently not: http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/market-trends

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think what drives a lot of prices up are categories where you can actually "Complete" a collection.

That's an interesting distinction. But, at the same time, won't that put a time-limit on the madness? Once all the people who care have completed their collection, then no one is buying anymore.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

I have made a few 11hr round trips to get pins

It costs $400 to get a pin shipped vs 11 hours of your time + $70 in gas.

If my math is correct, an 11 hour trip for a pin means you value your time at less than $30/hr. For some people, it's probably less than that, for others, it's much, much higher. Some lawyers make $300+ per hour! They could bill almost $1000 in the time it takes to drive across town to look at a pin, load it into their car, bring it back home.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Not many of us make anywhere near $30 and hour. most people i know are lucky to make $14-16 an hour. So I wouldn't value drive time at $30 an hour.

It'd be interesting to see the numbers. I kind of assumed that the average pinhead makes an above average salary...simply because it's an expensive hobby (which also requires space, which on average, requires money).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-people-paying-so-much-for-pins?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.