Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6 Million.jpg
blameothers-for-price-increases.jpg
I-cannot-afford-pins-anymore-I-am-pissed.jpg
IMG_1564.JPG
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inhomearcades.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 9 years ago

To the OP:

I almost did not click on this thread because I am so sick of people complaining about the prices of pins but I am now happy I did. That is actually my game that is being sold. I am not the one to thumbs down your post.

The reason why I refuse to sell pins through pinside, people like you. If you can't come to grips with what pins sell for or if you think they are too expensive either find a new hobby or keep it to yourself. Pinside is full of price experts, people like you tell me it's an 800 game and that you wouldn't touch it for that, so I put them on eBay and usually get way more than an expert like you would offer. Oh well no skin off my back.

I do have to admit, when I put it up for 1200, I thought it was a 50/50 shot at someone bidding, I can't believe its where it currently is. I'll gladly pay ebay 10% than take your 800 offer though.

I actually had a pinsiders come out to look at it for 1200, he was back and forth on wanting the machine because of all of the cosmetic issues. I insisted that he did not purchase it because I could tell he would not be happy. So he purchased a judge dredd instead from me about a week later after being able to save some more money. He couldn't be happier and that's what I want. I don't force or try and sell anyone on any of my machines. They are what they are. I have routed to death beaters like this and nib on the shelf in my warehouse. These routed beaters make people very happy. Not everyone has 2k and up to buy a machine and they are happy to have a beater game that works. Stop being a pinball snob and price expert, it's annoying.

Also the touch up looks very bad in the picture, a little better in person but it is way better than the wear spot that was there. A guy in the shop did it with paint pens because the wear spot was annoying, he asked if he could do the paint pens and I said go ahead. This game is what it is, a routed beater than an operator made a ton of money on over the years.

#93 9 years ago

And to sum up your original question as to why people pay what they do for machines. It's what the market is currently at. It doesn't get much clearer than that with ebay.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

I could be wrong but people like inhome go to Ebay because that is where people will spend the most money. When I first got into the hobby of collecting arcade games and pins I would frequent Ebay and even bought a few until I learned about local boards and sites like this where the prices are better. I got a few good deals on Ebay but I feel its the place where the un-educated or newbie goes to first...this is why the price is higher. I don't personally have a problem with pricing threads because I think its good to let people know what games are actually going for and worth. From what I notices it ticks off more the ones who like to constantly flip for income....

I can see you point, but for me its more about getting rid of a game easily. There are certain titles in inventory I have a waiting list of people that want them when I decide to sell them and there are other games that I just want to dump. I end up purchasing games in bulk, and inevitably I get games I have no need for. For me its not about making or loosing money on them, sometimes I win, sometimes I loose, its more about being able to purchase in bulk and having a simple and easy avenue to dump what I don't want. As for ebay, sometimes I end up making out on a price, such as this stargate and at other times, well I end up selling it for a lot less than I expected. Nature of the beast with ebay. The current customer base out there decides the price for the most part.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

One other thing I learned from this thread is that people take things way too seriously sometimes. Especially when it comes to pinball machines and prices )

I apologize if you feel I am being aggressive. Its really not just directed at you, its just that you brought it up and just so happened to pick my machine to make an example of. The problem is pinsiders act as though they are pricing experts and complain about high prices all the time. What really sucks about that other than seeing a few threads every page about it, is that a lot of people don't even bother to put their machines for sale on pinside because of it. I know of a few higher volume sellers that completely avoid this place because of it. If we can all just accept the fact that pins are likely more expensive than we would like them to be and be more welcoming to people selling games, Pinside would be flooded with games available for people to purchase.

Lately people seem to only care about:

Stern's facebook
Pricing
Sterns code, which they release 20 updates last year, more than any other company out there has even built.
TBL- that whole situation with Phil has finally died out. I was guilty on this one.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I agree with nearly 100% of your opinions, and I also agree with this one. But it's important to remember that one's passion for pinball isn't directly related to one's income level. Just because you and I are lucky enough to make more than $30 an hour doesn't mean all people do. People who love EMs, which generally sell for only three figures, may still have to save their pennies to buy a machine.
Pinball is for everyone...not just the rich.

I agree. I easily waste money by doing things pinball related myself. If I just worked the hrs at my job that I put into pins, I could easily pay someone to do that work for me and come out ahead. Pinball isn't about dollars and cents, it has to be something you want to do and get enjoyment out of.

Now as for shipping, god I would much rather pay someone to pick up a game and ship it then sit in a car for a long trip. My usual max driving time is 1hr each way, and that is usually something I really want. I'm lazy I know.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Buying a brand new car is, financially, one of the stupidest things someone can do. Yet they sell millions of new cars a year. Why? Because not every decision is based on financials or even logic.
Ebay is convenient and easy, and if you don't know the market, the prices might not be that crazy for that guy who just wants one game. I get people asking me how much games cost all the time and they are universally shocked at how cheap some of them are. Not everyone has your insider perspective or knowledge.
You *know* the hobby and the person who is buying that game probably doesn't. How is that hard to understand? It's a universal hobby constant!

I will never purchase another used car. It took two vehicles to figure that out. Once I purchased new, I will never go back to used. Financially, it all depends, used usually does not make sense between interest rates and the unknowns associated with a used vehicle.

#170 9 years ago

Its not a 1575 game until it is paid for and out of my warehouse. I was just as surprised as the elivra that just sold, that one really caught me off guard.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I bought a 2004 Cadillac Deville for $4500 with 120,000. I'll drive it for 3 years then trade it in for a few bucks and get another one. That is only 1500 per year for that car. There will be other expenses of course. I pay 2-3 times that much for my wifes new RAV. 10 years ago my car was sold new to an old lady for $46,000

I get the overall financial end of the new car purchase. However I put a higher price on the enjoyment of my vehicle, the performance and looks of it as well. I don't want a car to have over 40k on it let alone 100k miles. I just don't want to deal with any service, parts etc. Right now the dealer calls me when my car notifies them it needs an oil change or whatever, they bring me a rental and take my car perform all services for free and bring it back to me. Its hard for me to put a price on that as well.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from t2:

What's the story on the Elvira sale?
I don't waste time looking at Boston pinball sales because the last time I looked they were way off. If that's how you gauge the market that's fine but there are better sources. One of which you are on now.

sold for over 2700, I didn't realize they were getting that pricey. I almost sold it a few months back for 1500 but had to wait for few parts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inhomearcades.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-people-paying-so-much-for-pins?tu=inhomearcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.