Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6 Million.jpg
blameothers-for-price-increases.jpg
I-cannot-afford-pins-anymore-I-am-pissed.jpg
IMG_1564.JPG
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I just don't get it.

The machine in this auction is just beat to shit yet it is up to almost $1500.

ebay.com link: Stargate Pinball Machine Shopped Star Gate

#3 9 years ago

Thumbs down must be the owner or someone bidding on it I guess.

#6 9 years ago

I agree, but it it seems like people are way over paying for non rare, beat up machines lately. Either that or I am way off on what I think machines are worth. IMO that Stargate is a ~$800 machine based on the condition.

Quoted from DocRotCod:

Expensive is relative to title, demand, and what your personal budget is.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Ya I wish pricing was back where it was 5 years ago too man.. It's ok you will get over it. Trying to tell everyone they are overpaying, when there are so few machines around to buy anymore these days is getting old.

Well I am not telling anyone they are overpaying and haven't posted in a for sale thread. Just legitimately asking why that would be a $1500 pin in that condition.

#12 9 years ago

It looks like it is in really poor condition to me. Pretty bad planking, really bad touchups, broken plastics, hacked wiring, raised inserts, missing visor, some lights don't work.

Hence my question as to why it would be worth that much.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually it looks pretty good for a Stargate and most sell for 1700 t0 2k as its probably gottliebs best pin and is a really loaded game

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats actually pretty nice condition for a Stargate usually the playfields are really worn and cracked

It is really worn and cracked look at the large pics, looks to be touched up with whiteout and a marker.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Because people are willing to pay $1500.

I guess, but do you think uniformed buyers are driving up the costs of things and we just have to get used to it?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

i think prices are going up as stern and other new companies and boutique companies are having higher prices than in past which is then raising the 2nd hand pin market.

Oddly enough I don't really think the new Sterns are that bad price wise.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea but most are like this outside of the mylar and most are touched up granted better than this lol but this is usually what u get for a 1500 Stargate

Will be interesting to see what it ends up going for.

#84 9 years ago

What I think about when I seen a pin in that condition selling for ~$1500 is why pay $1500 for something in that condition when you can buy one in very good condition for $2500-$3000. You can even buy a brand new stern for ~$5400 or a slightly used stern for ~$4000.

My other thing is that I wouldn't be able to just buy that pin in that condition and play it, it would drive me crazy. So when I look at it I see hours and hours of work and several hundreds of dollars in parts "if you can find the parts" and really with the PF in that condition I would consider it almost un-repairable.

I also don't mind driving to pick up a pin at a fair price I have made a few 11hr round trips to get pins and I enjoy working on pins. So problem machines don't bother me but you have to get a machine at a fair price to begin with if it needs work.

Just like everything people look at things differently and I guess many people would have no problem buying that pin and just playing it in the condition that it is.

#91 9 years ago

Yep its all dependent on the situation I guess.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

It costs $400 to get a pin shipped vs 11 hours of your time + $70 in gas.
If my math is correct, an 11 hour trip for a pin means you value your time at less than $30/hr. For some people, it's probably less than that, for others, it's much, much higher. Some lawyers make $300+ per hour! They could bill almost $1000 in the time it takes to drive across town to look at a pin, load it into their car, bring it back home.

#103 9 years ago

Not sure why you are coming across so aggressively, I know it is hard to read someones tone through text so if you aren't intentionally coming across that way sorry.

I am not a price snob and or an expert and I don't claim to be. Again this wasn't posted in anyone's for sale thread or in the market place etc. It wasn't a personal attack toward you or anyone else. I explained what my thoughts are regarding pins in similar condition. I don't think there is anything snobbish about it.

It isn't about coming to grips with pricing, it is trying to understand why machines in poor condition bring so much $$ sometimes, that was my question when I started this thread. You and others have answered my question.

1. It's ebay, people are going to pay more there and are possibly uniformed and just looking for a pin that won't break their bank. This still doesn't mean they are getting a fair deal but it is their money so they can spend it how they wish.

2. A pin in this condition and price more than likely wouldn't sell on Pinside and or craigslist without someone giving the seller grief about it. If I saw this pin for sale here I would have never commented on it but still would have thought the same thing.

3. Sometimes people are willing to pay more for the convenience of something being local.

4. Per your reply you yourself didn't think it would go for that much.

I also never made an offer on the pin just stating what IMO thought would be a fair price on it based on condition.

Good luck with your sale and I hope whoever gets the pin enjoys it.

Quoted from inhomearcades:

To the OP:
I almost did not click on this thread because I am so sick of people complaining about the prices of pins but I am now happy I did. That is actually my game that is being sold. I am not the one to thumbs down your post.
The reason why I refuse to sell pins through pinside, people like you. If you can't come to grips with what pins sell for or if you think they are too expensive either find a new hobby or keep it to yourself. Pinside is full of price experts, people like you tell me it's an 800 game and that you wouldn't touch it for that, so I put them on eBay and usually get way more than an expert like you would offer. Oh well no skin off my back.
I do have to admit, when I put it up for 1200, I thought it was a 50/50 shot at someone bidding, I can't believe its where it currently is. I'll gladly pay ebay 10% than take your 800 offer though.
I actually had a pinsiders come out to look at it for 1200, he was back and forth on wanting the machine because of all of the cosmetic issues. I insisted that he did not purchase it because I could tell he would not be happy. So he purchased a Judge Dredd instead from me about a week later after being able to save some more money. He couldn't be happier and that's what I want. I don't force or try and sell anyone on any of my machines. They are what they are. I have routed to death beaters like this and nib on the shelf in my warehouse. These routed beaters make people very happy. Not everyone has 2k and up to buy a machine and they are happy to have a beater game that works. Stop being a pinball snob and price expert, it's annoying.
Also the touch up looks very bad in the picture, a little better in person but it is way better than the wear spot that was there. A guy in the shop did it with paint pens because the wear spot was annoying, he asked if he could do the paint pens and I said go ahead. This game is what it is, a routed beater than an operator made a ton of money on over the years.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't really put ANY value on drive time......this is a hobby. Gas - yes, time - no. I don't count "time" spent fixing up a pin either. Parts & Mods - Yes but not at 100%.

I share a similar philosophy on it, most of the time I take the family and we make a weekend out of it.

#108 9 years ago

One other thing I learned from this thread is that people take things way too seriously sometimes. Especially when it comes to pinball machines and prices )

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Man, you really don't like people in uniforms!

Yep people in uniforms worry me :O)

#123 9 years ago

Yep Pinside is an odd place for sure.

I agree and I don't like price police and that truly wasn't what this was supposed to be and again I wasn't talking about overall pin prices as I know prices fluctuate depending on demand and to a big extent location.

I just happened to see that pin and thought to myself why would someone pay so much for it. I should have just kept the thought to myself. I would never post anything regarding pricing in someones for sale thread and have spoken up for sellers a few times when people have.

Quoted from inhomearcades:

I apologize if you feel I am being aggressive. Its really not just directed at you, its just that you brought it up and just so happened to pick my machine to make an example of. The problem is pinsiders act as though they are pricing experts and complain about high prices all the time. What really sucks about that other than seeing a few threads every page about it, is that a lot of people don't even bother to put their machines for sale on pinside because of it. I know of a few higher volume sellers that completely avoid this place because of it. If we can all just accept the fact that pins are likely more expensive than we would like them to be and be more welcoming to people selling games, Pinside would be flooded with games available for people to purchase.
Lately people seem to only care about:
Stern's facebook
Pricing
Sterns code, which they release 20 updates last year, more than any other company out there has even built.
TBL- that whole situation with Phil has finally died out. I was guilty on this one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-people-paying-so-much-for-pins?tu=Ven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.