Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fisherdaman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6 Million.jpg
blameothers-for-price-increases.jpg
I-cannot-afford-pins-anymore-I-am-pissed.jpg
IMG_1564.JPG
image.jpg

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

I just don't get it.

The machine in this auction is just beat to shit yet it is up to almost $1500.

ebay.com link » Stargate Pinball Machine Shopped Star Gate

#3 4 years ago

Thumbs down must be the owner or someone bidding on it I guess.

#4 4 years ago

Well, it is shopped ...

#5 4 years ago

Expensive is relative to title, demand, and what your personal budget is.

#6 4 years ago

I agree, but it it seems like people are way over paying for non rare, beat up machines lately. Either that or I am way off on what I think machines are worth. IMO that Stargate is a ~$800 machine based on the condition.

Quoted from DocRotCod:

Expensive is relative to title, demand, and what your personal budget is.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

I agree, but it it seems like people are way over paying for non rare, beat up machines lately. Either that or I am way off on what I think machines are worth. IMO that Stargate is a ~$800 machine based on the condition.

Ya I wish pricing was back where it was 5 years ago too man.. It's ok you will get over it. Trying to tell everyone they are overpaying, when there are so few machines around to buy anymore these days is getting old.

#8 4 years ago

Actually it looks pretty good for a stargate and most sell for 1700 t0 2k as its probably gottliebs best pin and is a really loaded game

#9 4 years ago

Everybody told me that I was overpaying for my pins back when I was buying them for $1500 a pop.

Glad I didn't listen.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Ya I wish pricing was back where it was 5 years ago too man.. It's ok you will get over it. Trying to tell everyone they are overpaying, when there are so few machines around to buy anymore these days is getting old.

Well I am not telling anyone they are overpaying and haven't posted in a for sale thread. Just legitimately asking why that would be a $1500 pin in that condition.

#11 4 years ago

Thats actually pretty nice condition for a stargate usually the playfields are really worn and cracked

#12 4 years ago

It looks like it is in really poor condition to me. Pretty bad planking, really bad touchups, broken plastics, hacked wiring, raised inserts, missing visor, some lights don't work.

Hence my question as to why it would be worth that much.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually it looks pretty good for a Stargate and most sell for 1700 t0 2k as its probably gottliebs best pin and is a really loaded game

#13 4 years ago

Because people are willing to pay $1500.

#14 4 years ago

i think prices are going up as stern and other new companies and boutique companies are having higher prices than in past which is then raising the 2nd hand pin market.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats actually pretty nice condition for a Stargate usually the playfields are really worn and cracked

It is really worn and cracked look at the large pics, looks to be touched up with whiteout and a marker.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Because people are willing to pay $1500.

I guess, but do you think uniformed buyers are driving up the costs of things and we just have to get used to it?

#17 4 years ago

#18 4 years ago

Having a quick glance on US Ebay today and see this Bally Supersonic with wear for 4k.

No one in there right mind would pay that,but that's what the seller is asking for it.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

It is really worn and cracked look at the large pics, looks to be touched up with whiteout and a marker.

Yea but most are like this outside of the mylar and most are touched up granted better than this lol but this is usually what u get for a 1500 stargate

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

i think prices are going up as stern and other new companies and boutique companies are having higher prices than in past which is then raising the 2nd hand pin market.

Oddly enough I don't really think the new Sterns are that bad price wise.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea but most are like this outside of the mylar and most are touched up granted better than this lol but this is usually what u get for a 1500 Stargate

Will be interesting to see what it ends up going for.

#22 4 years ago

Condition, Condition, Condition...

The better, the more you are gonna pay...

HUO on the best 90's BW games are priceless IMO...

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

Will be interesting to see what it ends up going for.

My guess is around 1600 maybe 1700

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Me to which is y my tz and jd probably will never leave and the ft im picking up tomorrow may be huo also just some fade because they left in sun but as long as the rest is fine ill be very happy

#25 4 years ago

Maybe because Stern's antics are putting buyers off NIB games, so there are more buyers competing for older machines that aren't in prime condition.

#26 4 years ago

Looks like a bargain to me... Too bad I already got too many.

#27 4 years ago

Too many what?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I think this is a very good point. And think how many pins like this you could buy for the price of a new in box Stern or JJP game.

#29 4 years ago

Because.............people.......are.........stupid. That's it,end of thread.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Thats funny. No BLY/WMS in my book,ever,is worth over $3K. Crazy how people have all the sudden started buying pins & ruined it for us. I guess all good things must come to an end. Never thought my stupid hobby would be one of those things?!

#31 4 years ago

in Aus between mid 2010 and now stern pro's went from $5500 to $7850 which is about 40% increase and noticed a price rise when JJP starting taking payments for WOZ. Their was a good price difference between stern and JJP so of course stern will bump the prices a bit. this then has the flow on effect with 2nd hand market going up 30 - 50% over that period, then ebay is charging more fees so people then incorporate the fee into the sale price and it just keeps going.

#32 4 years ago

if that was going for £1500(2255.55) then its not worth it but then again the prices in the uk are far more expensive than over in the states tho, but then again £800-1000 is the average price people would pay for a stargate here which is around $1300-1600, so the price in the auction is about tight i wouldnt pay anymore but as people say its up to the buyer how much he/she wants to pay and how much they think its worth

#33 4 years ago

checkout pinpedia for historical ebay sales

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/Stargate

here is just the US sales, and you can see the price trend

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/Stargate/prices?c=us

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

I guess, but do you think uniformed buyers are driving up the costs of things and we just have to get used to it?

what kind of uniforms are the buyers wearing?

#35 4 years ago

I can't believe I just paid $90 for a steak last night. What's the world coming to?

#36 4 years ago

When people buy houses and the demand is high. There are less houses to purchase in the market place. Value of your house goes up. You pay more taxes.

The very last of the pinball kids I will call them. Are turning 40ish. They have incone and are looking to their youth. So demand is rising. Intetest in arcade is going up. older pins are becoming rare. Take a pin with 3000plus production for population of just usa. Thats not even talking ones that were destroyed, ruined on routes, shipped to other countrys etc.
You are going to pay more.
Look what a $2 star wars action figure brings from the original star wars movie. They made more of them than pinballs.
just my 2 cents.
magicchiz

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can't believe I just paid $90 for a steak last night.

At least it's free next weekend!

#38 4 years ago

More people are getting into the hobby. Also the ridiculous high prices of today's NIB machines are making older titles increase in price.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Too many what?

Jukes, Arcades.... And pins.

#40 4 years ago

Pins are more expensive in Oz, even with regards to the exchange rate. A recent example is an MM for $16,000, YES it was in great condition, had been fully worked over, etc, etc, BUT $16,000???????

#41 4 years ago

$1500 -1700 looks about right for that Stargate. "Beat to shit" seems like an exaggeration of its imperfections.

#43 4 years ago

That's no mint example but it's not nearly beat to shit either.

Plus it's on ebay, so the high bidder will find a bulb out, claim it's "not as described", and get to keep both his money and the machine.

#44 4 years ago

Op,
because price is set by the intersection of the price and demand curves.

Why would a seller sell something below market price, and then see it pop-up later at market price?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Pins are more expensive in Oz, even with regards to the exchange rate. A recent example is an MM for $16,000, YES it was in great condition, had been fully worked over, etc, etc, BUT $16,000???????

looks like someone made a good enough offer.

#46 4 years ago

Pin prices are too high!

image.jpg
#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

At least it's free next weekend!

Steak-and-Blow-Job-Day.jpg

Are you offering?

#48 4 years ago

Yeah I don't see what the issue is. If this machine was near me for that price, I would buy it.

People pay crazy prices for pinball machines because they are awesome and hard to come by. Plus, they hold their value, and increase, making it one of the smartest entertainment values you can buy.

Every wife should be ecstatic about the fact that if their husbands are spending fun money on something that holds it's value so well. God knows the whoa-mans are not doing the same

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Y
People pay crazy prices for pinball machines because they are awesome and hard to come by. Plus, they hold their value, and increase, making it one of the smartest entertainment values you can buy.

They USED to increase. I think prices are softening now...mainly because I entered the hobby and bought everything at peak prices. It all goes back to the fact that God hates me. I've never done well in the stock market, either. Good thing I don't consider pinball machines an investment.

#50 4 years ago

a couple of things to consider beyond what has been mentioned here, a) I don't always trust prices on ebay, people bid items up to boost their value. not saying thats the case here but it happens in various collectible groups and it generally skews the sales data. b) theres a higher premium for Ebay, as it add's 15% to the cost of the machine. c) never underestimate the value of a machine that's within driving distance, many people aren't on pinside so when they see a machine that maybe they've always kinda wanted and they think to themselves "hey I have the cash now I can get it", then they look and see its within their area, often times logic will take a back seat.

add any of these variables together and you have a recipe for increased prices. that's ok it thins the herd of those higher priced machines and people willing to pay higher prices without a modicum of research / shopping.

lastly there's a bell curve to shopping, on one side you have the people in the know, they are around enough to get an idea of true market conditions and more importantly where to find the best prices, they do their research and have spent time in the community to know people and find better pricing plus know enough to make smart buying choices on better machines. On the other side of the curve are people that are either new to the hobby and just buying what they see and love, or are not in the hobby but filling a desire for one specific game. They'll look for something that is either within their budget and comfort distance or they'll go with a dealer that refurbs games (ad even those aren't' always great unless their known for their work)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 249.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside