(Topic ID: 34278)

Why are no Stern employees on Pinside?

By Pdxmonkey

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

This X-men code has me curious why is there no comments from any stern employees (ie PUblic Relations) ever on pinside? It's either posts from 'insiders' (who are often right) and salesmen (distributors). I have a quite a few games by Stern and most off them I really love but I'm pretty disapointed with x-men code wise. 1.22 -> 1.23 denotes not much evolution...ok fine but what have they been doing for months and months? Making magnets stronger?
    Is this the long awaited power pack? I hope not
    And how much did they test this billy?
    This might have been fine business practice when your the only game in town but in 2013 looks like you have some hungry comparators. I'm honestly not trying to cause shit but just hoping you can adapt to what some of your growing customer base wants.

Skit-B is fantastic on communications
    JPOP is all over the boards
    P3 are here
    JJP Jack and Keith are here and take time out of their busy schedules to talk to us.
    Shit even captain nemo ppl from SPAIN are here
    No Stern? What gives?

#2 11 years ago

Any chance to take a crap on Stern. This community should be renamed SternSucks.com

#3 11 years ago

Some of them USED to post on RGP.

Being the power shifted within the company and change with the investors. And the advent of their website and Facebook.

Perhaps their people are encouraged not to post anywhere anymore.

Or they are too busy making games they don't have time to visit the various forums anymore.

I know they still read them.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

I am not allowed to post on boards related to the company I work for. I can understand why. It is not my job to act as a critic or a spokesman for them.

IOW, I can do more damage than good even if I "think" I am supporting my company.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Any chance to take a crap on Stern. This community should be renamed SternSucks.com

Thanks for answering my questions.

#6 11 years ago

For Stern, the negatives would outweigh any benefits from being public on the forums. They can read all the feedback without engaging directly. Why invest the time, take the abuse and legal risk for very little, if any, additional benefit? All of the others are start-ups and need or want this type of direct engagement.

#7 11 years ago

They are here, they read what is posted.

Many companies don't allow their employees to make statements publicly, as that does not allow a "unified front" and can also lead to liabilities for the company.

My contract, for instance, expressly forbids me from making any public posts that state or imply that I work for them.

I am also forbidden from talking to media like newspapers, journals or television programs.

I'm am not the face nor the mouthpiece of my employer.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

I am not allowed to post on boards related to the company I work for. I can understand why. It is not my job to act as a critic or a spokesman for them.
    IOW, I can do more damage than good even if I "think" I am supporting my company.

I agree and I suspect some sort of standard company policy about posting on industry related forums. Many companies have restrictions about internet use during business hours as well.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

This makes sense. Thanks for posting

Quoted from LTG:

Some of them USED to post on RGP.
    Being the power shifted within the company and change with the investors. And the advent of their website and Facebook.
    Perhaps their people are encouraged not to post anywhere anymore.
    Or they are too busy making games they don't have time to visit the various forums anymore.
    I know they still read them.

Thanks LTG, good to hear they're listening.

#10 11 years ago

From seeing the videos, I don't think Stern hires people who likes pinball. They hire "factory workers". This means people with felonys, and...well...people with felonys(tax breaks). I work for a factory. It is quite common.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Thanks for answering my questions.

How in the hell would we know? Why isn't Marilyn Manson on Pinside? Or Ken Griffey Jr.? Why doesn't Pat Lawlor host a webinar here?

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

From seeing the videos, I don't think Stern hires people who likes pinball machine. They hire "factory workers". This means people with felonys,

Damn dude. Thats a pretty harsh thing to post.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

From seeing the videos, I don't think Stern hires people who likes pinball machine. They hire "factory workers". This means people with felonys, and...well...people with felonys(tax breaks). I work for a factory. It is quite common.

The plural of felony is felonies. If you are going to act superior to someone, at least spell your pejorative correctly.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Damn dude. Thats a pretty harsh thing to post.

Yeah, I guess it was kind of blunt. It is true though. Factorys tends to hire people who have hard times being hired by most other jobs. Felons, low educated people, people with bad work ethics.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

The plural of felony is felonies. If you are going to act superior to someone, at least spell your pejorative correctly.

I work in a factory. You don't find a lot of people with collage educations doing grunt work. Thus, yes, I have bad spelling. Failed english 2 years in high school.
    Wasn't trying to ack superior, just speaking as a fellow factory worker.

#16 11 years ago

Well this thread went in a pleasant direction. Can't imagine why Stern doesn't post here

#17 11 years ago

Maybe factories do but to say "From watching the video" Means certain people to you look like a certain demographic. A bit rough. Then to say they hire folks who don't like pinball. You don't know that. And of course despite your impression I still think its not cool to say this particular companies employees are felons without knowledge of such a fact.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Felons, low educated people, people with bad work ethics.

Steve Ritchie, George Gomez, Lyman Sheats, Greg Freres, Ronnie Lopp, John Borg.

Seems like some stand up guys to me.

Which ones are you talking about ?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Well this thread went in a pleasant direction. Can't imagine why Stern doesn't post here

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

From seeing the videos, I don't think Stern hires people who likes pinball machine. They hire "factory workers". This means people with felonys, and...well...people with felonys(tax breaks). I work for a factory. It is quite common.

IMO stern has an extremely talented staff.
    I think the foundation for X-men to be a great game is there, just needs a lot better update.

#21 11 years ago

Oh, I was talking about the grunt workers. You know, like the people who scrub the toilets and sweep the floors.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Steve Ritchie, George Gomez, Lyman Sheats, Greg Freres, Ronnie Lopp, John Borg.
    Seems like some stand up guys to me.
    Which ones are you talking about ?

Come on. He's talking about the labor force that turns the screws. They all look Mexican, and thus criminal, to him.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Come on. He's talking about the labor force that turns the screws. They all look Mexican, and thus criminal, to him.

Oh, well that excuses it.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Oh, I was talking about the grunt workers. You know, like the people who scrub the toilets and sweep the floors.

I'm more interested in hearing from designers and software ppl but I bet the labor has some good stories too.

#25 11 years ago

So were we talking about the screw turners, or the higher ups?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Oh, well that excuses it.

Well, I am only presuming. I can't imagine he thinks that Lyman and Borgy are felons.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No Stern? What gives?

I think by the time this thread peters out, we'll wonder why they still build pinball machines ?

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I can't imagine he thinks that Lyman and Borgy are felons.

I don't know. You ever see Lyman play pinball ? And Borgy did that Transformers pin.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

So were we talking about the screw turners, or the higher ups?

I seriously doubt that he was asking why the factory line workers, who have no input or part of design, planning, coding, engineering or development, don't post here. But it gave you a change to step right into the bear trap and pull your pants down, nonetheless.

#30 11 years ago

They all know their is much more to life than pin side.

#31 11 years ago

As a vet of the video game biz I can say that interacting on forums just opens a can of worms most companies don't want to get into. But it is common for employees to lurk around and read posts.

#32 11 years ago

I will say though, that factory work is hard stuff. Hard on the body and the hands. Back to the felons though, some of them are the best workers, they just made some bad choices in the past. Ok no more post for me.

#33 11 years ago

Stern prefers in house corporal punishment.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

From seeing the videos, I don't think Stern hires people who likes pinball. This means people with felonys, and...well...people with felonys

So by looking at the largely Hispanic workforce at Stern, you have determined that they don't like pinball and are felons?

I don't think that the prerequisite for working at a factory is liking a product or being a felon.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

I work in a factory. You don't find a lot of people with collage educations doing grunt work. Thus, yes, I have bad spelling. Failed english 2 years in high school.
    Wasn't trying to ack superior, just speaking as a fellow factory worker.

God bless the plain spoken man. They mean what they say and say what they mean.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Back to the felons though, some of them are the best workers, they just made some bad choices in the past.

As a supervisor in a factory I will say that everyone I work with is hard working, honest, and have no prior felonies. Thats why we have extensive background checks and drug testing. Yes, maybe english is not their first language, Maybe they did not go to "collage", but they are some of the hardest working people I have ever met, and their ethics are usually better than the people higher up the ladder than they are.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think that the prerequisite for working at a factory is liking a product or being a felon.

GM factories are filled to the gills with Ford driving felons. Didn't you know?

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I always pay attention to the idea a person presents. Not how they spell it. If you're looking to pick apart a person's input biased on how they say it, it speaks poorly on yourself.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I always pay attention to the idea a person presents. Not how they spell it. If you're looking to pick apart a person's input biased on how they say it, it speaks poorly on yourself.

I think you missed the joke.

#40 11 years ago

Good chance. I'm hitting the keg.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Well, so be it. But if I find it funny that someone conveys an air of superiority over someone, yet misspells the insult three times, it may speak even more poorly. This board is riddled with things that speak poorly on me. But I try to do it with eloquence and flair.

#42 11 years ago

You missed it. Gambit is not one to bust on folks for spelling. Most of us don't care about that but in this case it was fitting. At the same time I believe the guy meant no harm. I just hope folks that think they mean no harm yet spray it like a hose catch on.

#43 11 years ago

So long story short email stern.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

I work in a factory

Felon by your own definition??????????

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

So long story short email stern.

Or go to a show. Both Gary Stern and Steve Ritchie were at the Seattle show this year. I believe both had a Q&A session. Did you attend?

Those other companies you mentioned have obvious reasons for regularly communicating to their potential customers. When they start selling thousands of games a year, they'll be able to only occasionally respond to their customers like Stern does. Let's hope they all become like Stern in the near future. That would mean that pinball has come back in a big way.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

From seeing the videos, I don't think Stern hires people who likes pinball. They hire "factory workers". This means people with felonys, and...well...people with felonys(tax breaks). I work for a factory. It is quite common.

Quoted from AbacusMan:

Yeah, I guess it was kind of blunt. It is true though. Factorys tends to hire people who have hard times being hired by most other jobs. Felons, low educated people, people with bad work ethics.

With such intelligent discussion I have no idea why they wouldn't respond...

Of course not posting anything allows you to avoid missed promises, angry spur of the moment rants, etc. they read rgp and pinside. They probably ignore the idiots and consider constructive criticism.

#47 11 years ago

I would also like to add that the company I work for has hired a terrorist in the past. No one knew, but one day a bunch of black FBI cars drove up and surrounded the complex with guns pulled and took him away. It was pretty trippy.

#48 11 years ago

Before anyone types a single other response... Pause and ask yourself...

Does what I'm about to say contribute to the thread title's question, or am I just fanning the flames as this otherwise informative topic gets derailed by some Mexican fugitives lurking on rgp..

You know the answer before you can ever hit "send post". And clearly the Mexicans are the way this should go.

Can I get an O/T political comment on immigration, and an "amen" for old times sake?

-jon

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Ok no more post for me.

That is the wisest thing you have said on this thread so far.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Can I get an O/T political comment on immigration, and an "amen" for old times sake?

If it wasn't for immigration, most of us wouldn't be here now. Amen.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-no-stern-employees-on-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.