(Topic ID: 249926)

Why are new Stern LE’s with such low plays going for so cheap!?

By MJR8peanut

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17400B9D-370E-4D34-852D-D56F3312B765 (resized).png
    DwaWdDFUwAA9YFY (resized).jpg
    66B0F805-351B-4964-A461-7C9E49619F4D (resized).png
    B9927E5E-2BB5-49FF-B56F-E1C8C5EE58B1 (resized).jpeg
    DB2BFB4C-1BE0-4319-A694-4AA1E5220ED5 (resized).jpeg
    C3A71CD0-8217-4DF0-8211-06115FBDAD82 (resized).jpeg
    0B553C57-FA32-4A0F-AE01-399932AFCED4 (resized).jpeg
    Elvira (resized).jpg
    0EB40F18-4DE6-4838-9964-03110154390A (resized).png
    20190713_164144 (resized).jpg
    think (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-08-22-04-56-40-1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I'm also new to pinball,but I'm starting to think a nice HUO low play game is better than a NIB. Most of the bugs(hopefully) are worked out by the last owner.
    My first game was a NIB,and it drove me crazy the first year I had it.

You are spot on...especially if you are buying from a collector that dials his/her games in! I purchased a DILE with ~20 plays from a person that had no clue on what was/wasn't working...not all folks are plugged into how a game is suppose to work.

#115 4 years ago

I've only purchased 1 NIB LE over the years (STLE). Paid $7,300...sold it 6 months later for $6,700 to a local collector.

In general, NOB LE's usually find me within 6 months of their release (with low plays and a great price). Currently own 3 (DILE, SWLE and TRONLE).

Shouldn't be surprising that the more you pay, the more you lose. The notion that LE's are good investments is BS. Very, very few LE's have gone up in value after the Pro/Premium/LE leveling (which doesn't include TRONLE).

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The reason Stern is charging these crazy prices is because AC/DC BIB LE & Tron LE skyrocketed in the aftermarket. Stern figured “why not cut out the flipper and make that ourselves”. That model more or less stopped the ability to flip LE’s as they already started at top dollar, and not due to scarcity, demand, or game reputation.

Obviously, but TRON didn't have a "Premium" and had a ton of little differences that added to a lot. AC/DC BIB has a badass look. With the exception of STLE (which had some cool aesthetics), Stern's LE's have been really boring. If they actually had some cool additions, they would have an easier time holding their value and potentially appreciating (assuming it's a solid license & fun game).

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

A used BM66 @ $6999?
    Why would I take that deal?
    NIB games just arrive. Without effort. With a warranty.
    Used games require driving + moving them twice
    BM66 is $7323 shipped after 2.625% credit card rewards & 1% ebay bucks rewards
    Did your game sell?

You factor "rewards" into your cost? If you pickup a game, do you factor in gas mileage? Wow.

I just picked up BM66 Premium 20 miles away. Had 20 plays on it. Got to inspect/play it. Had tasteful mods and none of the "issues" mentioned on Pinside. One day, folks will realize this is better than NIB...especially when it's from a local you know/respect.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I include 3.625% rewards in the effective cost of a purchase much like others including 7.25% sales tax when making a decision.
    20 miles = I'm not counting that
    Hundreds of miles = yup
    I also look at the value of my household's time to determine if the HUO price vs NIB has a positive ROI of my time & materials.
    Guess I'm weird
    No, wait, I know I'm weird lol
    I'd buy a local BM66 @ $6350 but anything far or higher = nah hommie. I'd rather take a shit & buy NIB on my ipad Monday morning so the game lands in my driveway by Friday.
    Plus if I buy a game say Oct 5th I dont have to pay for it until Dec 1st.
    Aaand if I factor in 2 mos of currency inflation... hahaha, gotchya, jk!
    That's just me. Not saying I'm right or wrong.

How many NIB games have you actually purchased? Your schtick sounds more like rationale for negotiating with someone looking to sell a BM66.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Well, I am not in the market for a used BM66. (Even @ $6350). Not saying it's not worth its price, just saying it's not really on my radar. When I said I'd buy a BM66 @ $6350 I meant if I were interested in the title thats my sweet spot of pricing on a used game.
    I am however in the market for a new JP premium!
    It will cost me $7227 NIB delivered. Or something like that. Close enough.
    Bought my Aerosmith NIB.
    Next NIB = JP, Elvira & Bill/Ted?
    If all goes well of course.
    I don't think I'd tell a seller my logic as a way to negotiate. I'd just pass on the deal. Honestly I'm probably just super lazy & overvalue my time
    Good news is I sell my games cheap because I value my time. So at least I'm consistant

Got it...thanks for the detail. I have a lot more NIB purchasing experience and I’ve seen a steady increase in NIB “issues” (Munsters CPU died after 30 games, KISS Node board failure, IMDN PF issues, etc.)...roughly around the introduction of “Spike”.

I value my time as well. I could make an argument that dealing with Stern and their distributors *cost* me a lot of valuable time. OTOH, just picked up a BM66 Premium from a great locale collector. Got to play it, inspect it. Knew what I was getting...no NIB “surprises”. Oh yeah, the code is also now worth playing after the update!

I understand the attraction of NIB...I’ve been a NIB buyer since LOTR/TSPP over 15 years now! Based on much experience, the last 5 years have been much more of a crap shoot than the first 10 years (slowly pushing me away from NIB joy).

I’m not trying to convince you of anything. Just documenting my experiences. I’m also considering a JP Premium and will be patient and wait for one to pop up on the local market.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

Good post and hard to disagree with. one issue though...if you talk everybody out of buying NIB, who you gonna get your games from? Lol.

The impatient addicts likely outnumber the thoughtful collectors (I'm an impatient addict in recovery

For me, it all about being truthful/transparent...folks will make up their own minds.

No doubt that Stern is unlikely to change without feeling some financial "pain". Distributors are hoping speaking up...they feel a lot of the heat when problems arise.

1 week later
    #167 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Plenty of that goes on.
    Many owners don't have patience or skill set to fix any issues. These are sometimes never disclosed in the sale.
    I have been burned from buying sight unseen and relying on the Integrity of the seller.
    Golden Rule # 1
    Never buy sight unseen.

Plenty of high integrity sellers on Pinside that I’d buy “sight unseen” from. Part of the fun of the hobby is doing business with high integrity people. This forum helps quite a bit...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-new-stern-les-with-such-low-plays-going-for-so-cheap?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.