Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Budman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190220_195405 (resized).jpg
    Clipboard02 (resized).jpg
    Clipboard01 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1550672475697 (resized).jpg
    20181128_165303 (resized).jpg
    20190220_075856 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whthrs166.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Nope. Absolutely not.

Because there is a sense of character with B/W. They don't appear to be a cheap "cash in" with their games.
    Look at how unique and different most of the PFs are. NO other PF resembles the layout of Corvette. No other game has a ramp like CFTBL with the whirlpool at the end of it and the massive loop it does with the lights on the side. Today's companies haven't released anything close to "Red and Ted" or "Rudy" from Roadshow or Funhouse.
    One innovation after another from a working gumball machine AND clock in TZ, the Thing flipper in TAF, strobe MB in AFM, mist ball in BSD, the Shadow "disappearing ball", Champion Pub's jump-roping ball - just unprecedented in comparison.
    B/W games are fricking bricks in terms of strength and build construction. Just compare their leg brackets to "today's leader" and that says it all.
    B/W has an excellent mix of licensed themes as well as unique themes. For every Terminator 2 there was a Cactus Canyon, for every Johnny Mnemonic there was a Medieval Madness, for every Doctor Who there was a Whirlwind.
    Then you have the themes that were unlicensed but "close enough" to actual licenses: AFM to Mars Attacks, MM to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, No Good Gophers to Caddyshack. They weren't carbon copies of well known media; they were unique enough that they could stand alone and become beloved.
    Then you have the really unique and different "well, let's try this!" attempts at something different. Safecracker is an excellent example of trying to appeal to a newer crowd with the board game on top, the tokens you can win, and a smaller machine packed with just as many goodies as a full-sized game. Pinball 2000 was another try at something different. I really wish SWEP1 had come out FIRST and then Revenge from Mars. That might have saved that format, but hey, at least they TRIED....!
    Finally, they are JUST FUN. I don't need a book of Chinese stereo instructions to understand how to play AFM. I plunge the ball, listen to the call-outs and figure out what to do. I don't need to choose from 27 different characters at start-up; I either play as the humans or the martians in my own mind while I complete the game. And when I play these games, they don't literally fall apart around my hands as I play, and if the boards fail, well hey, at least I have the schematics to fix them and any mods added won't "nuke the boards". They are steadfast and proven to work.
    I'll play AFM over nearly any game that comes out today. There are two games that nearly got it right: Alien and TBL. Too bad both are extremely limited to the general public.

Yep! This pretty much sums it up for me. The only thing I might add is some of the best artwork period!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

LOTR was a true depth game, IMO.

"Path Of The Dead" Killed this one! Yes I know one of the best Stern games out there, I agree. I owned several of these.... all ended up out the door.

#75 5 years ago

I am not expert player by any means. I had MM for over a year before I even knew about "Barnyard Multiball" I have had my game now for over 4 years and I still have gotten the Video Mode only once. I was so excited to have finally gotten there that biffed it! MM is not easy nor is it shallow. So many people just think it is just knocking down castles and Royal Madness.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whthrs166.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-mm-afm-and-mb-consistently-ranked-the-top-3?tu=whthrs166 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.