Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Budman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190220_195405 (resized).jpg
    Clipboard02 (resized).jpg
    Clipboard01 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1550672475697 (resized).jpg
    20181128_165303 (resized).jpg
    20190220_075856 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frippertron.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

I’m going to take the view that depth is actually underrated. I fully understand why simpler games, when all other elements of the game are 10/10, are voted consistently so much higher in a popularity contest. They are great, and they are also crowd pleasers. They were built predominantly for operators and meant to be fun and engaging for as many people as possible. If you had a home arcade with 5+ games, they are a fantastic choice too.
    But if you were buying a single pin for your home, like I currently have for mine, I don’t care how great those 3 games are - I just could not buy one because they lack the depth. For a single game, I actually do want a game with complex rules and strategy and character selection that takes tons of time to learn at the expense of being welcoming when you first walk up to the machine (or even first 10 times). And when I say “character” selection I don’t just mean JJP POTC, it’s characters on SW, minor villains on Batman66, beer mugs on Oktoberfest, songs on ACDC, even CIU on Metallica.
    All that said, I also would rank these 3 great games so high. I just wouldn’t buy one, or at least one as an only pin. These ratings can change depending on what we’re rating it for: popularity in an arcade, lastability, operators, small vs large collectors, tournament players, etc.

This is why I love this hobby. People can think so differently. I feel depth actually hurts replayability in the long run. In my opinion early SS games like Stars and EBD dance circles around these new "adventure style" pins. I'll only play LOTR once or twice but EBD has me pressing start all night. Games are quick and I never tire of it. Now a pin like AFM sits in a "Goldilocks Zone". A time of modern design elements with the addictive gameplay of early SS machines, it just works on every level for all different kinds of people.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

I totally get that. But it sounds like you have multiple pins in your game room? Now if you can only have one, and weren’t planning on selling it for at least a year, what game would it be?

If I had to pick only one game it would be EBD or Paragon honestly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frippertron.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-mm-afm-and-mb-consistently-ranked-the-top-3?tu=Frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.