(Topic ID: 302658)

Why are Men better than Women at Pinball? Your Opinion, with Poll !!!

By HEAD_boss_HOG

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Why are Men better than Women at Pinball? Your Opinion, with Poll !!!”

• Men are more active, and play more pinball 26 votes
    14%
  • Women just don't care as much 111 votes
    59%
  • Men have better hand-eye coordination than women 32 votes
    17%
  • I have no idea, but it is perplexing 10 votes
    5%
  • men are stronger than women, and thus they are better at nudging, creating a competitive advantage 9 votes
    5%

(188 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1820F801-3A50-4CF9-98F2-FA70B7E06734 (resized).jpeg
4F292870-3114-4133-BE77-A8D467424851 (resized).jpeg
312FC4F0-E64D-45FC-84B8-A6A183279F9D (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
MenacingSomberBird-size_restricted.gif
giphy (1).gif
imgs (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211023-073618~2.png
friday-ratchet.gif
YN6qUXj4HdXoY.gif
f.gif
pinball pic (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 2 years ago

I've noticed that the top player rankings contain no female players, and I'm curious as to why that is. Howcome no women are in the top 25 rankings in the IFPA list? This isn't wrestling or football; there is no physical advantage between males and females, so why aren't females in the top 25 players list? Why are men and women separated in certain competitions? to me, this is a Co-ed activity and should be everyone in the same pool. I'm at a loss.

What are your opinions on this topic? I've seen alot of very talented women players at competitions, and gotten whipped by plenty of females. So, I guess I'm just wondering why there's a noticeable absence in the top ranks, and why there are women only competitions in major tournaments. The picture is unrelated; just thought I'd share an image of an old memory at the Museum of Pinball, which will be sorely missed...

Cheers everyone, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hog

pinball pic (resized).jpgpinball pic (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago
YN6qUXj4HdXoY.gifYN6qUXj4HdXoY.gif
#4 2 years ago

for reference...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 2 years ago

I haven't really encountered many women that like to play with any regularity at all. I can't get my wife to even play at all. Maybe there is just something more appealing to men, and the rankings reflect the massive numbers difference of serious players between the genders. Are we just simpletons to enjoy the mechanical bits and pieces and flashing lights, lol??

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Are we just simpletons to enjoy the mechanical bits and pieces and flashing lights, lol??

From an evolutionary standpoint, yes basically. Men see movement better, therefore have better reaction times and prefer things like sports and video games. There have been studies with newborns and infants, and they find every time that male babies prefer looking at objects, while female babies prefer looking at people/faces. Women generally don't like competition. Statistically you're less likely to see a woman in the top 25 players if the female player base is a lot smaller to begin with.

#7 2 years ago

I don't know much about competitive pinball or statistics but a quick check of the IFPA website shows that there are 30 392 players registered in the rankings and 2131 are women. By my calculations, that is about 7%. So if you are asking why there are no women represented in the IFPA top 25, I suspect that's your answer right there. As for the answer to the question in your title, I don't think it is clear that men are better than women at pinball (all things being equal) and I don't even know how you would work that out but I'm pretty sure that a cursory glance at the rankings is not going to give you the answer.

#8 2 years ago

I am very sure it is an intrerest thing. Most are just happy to get their wife's permission to buy a pin. How many are really playing, time wise, like many male competitors? Isn't the biggest thing knowing the rules of a game to score highest? I don't think it takes a male brain to do that, push two buttons, and nudge a pin.

#9 2 years ago

At my league there are some women who play and they’re consistently in top 5. In general I’d say probably hand-eye coordination and spacial awareness to accurately predict ball reaction and travel.

If the number of women was even HALF of the active male players, you’d already seen top 25 or even #1 occupied by a woman. Tiny player base leads to tiny distribution in the higher level. Can be applied to everything, more than just sex.

Just because, on average, men tend to possess more intuitive (pinball) skills than women, doesn’t mean there aren’t incredible women playing right now that can destroy all of us in a 1v1.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

a quick check of the IFPA website shows that there are 303 924 players registered in the rankings and 2131 are women. By my calculations, that is about 7%

Don't know where you are finding those numbers, but you might want to double check those calculations.

#11 2 years ago
friday-ratchet.giffriday-ratchet.gif
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I don't know much about competitive pinball or statistics but a quick check of the IFPA website shows that there are 303 924 players registered in the rankings and 2131 are women. By my calculations, that is about 7%. So if you are asking why there are no women represented in the IFPA top 25, I suspect that's your answer right there. As for the answer to the question in your title, I don't think it is clear that men are better than women at pinball (all things being equal) and I don't even know how you would work that out but I'm pretty sure that a cursory glance at the rankings is not going to give you the answer.

Best Pinside math ever………….

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Don't know where you are finding those numbers, but you might want to double check those calculations.

Sorry, added a number. There's 30 392 total players but I think my percentage is still right. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#14 2 years ago

From my experience, women can be just as good as men at pinball (or better). I've played on leagues where there's been no slouches, and a woman has won. Why this isn't reflected more in the IFPA standings, I don't really know. Come on women, start kicking more ass, LOL.

#15 2 years ago

The entire premise of your question and poll is flawed.

Skill is by no means the issue.

The male to female ratio in the hobby is just heavily skewed.

Have you seen a belles & chimes tournament?

#16 2 years ago

I saw Keri Wing and Kassidy Malinowski play for four straight days this weekend past in Wisconsin, against some of the best players in the world, and I can tell you without hyperbole they would wipe the floor with anybody in this thread.

It would be hilarious to watch them humiliate the OP in a few rounds of pinball. He’d have to create a New poll about the best ways to recover mentally and physically after getting destroyed in a pinball tournament.

Keri will be top 25 very soon.

#17 2 years ago
Screenshot_20211023-073618~2.pngScreenshot_20211023-073618~2.png
#18 2 years ago

From my experience women just generally don’t care about pinball and don’t want to play it. When I have people over the men are all in the game room playing pinball and the women are in the living room chatting.

#19 2 years ago

My wife hates pinball and thinks it's the saddest waste of time ever.....she spends her spare time watching reality TV. No comment.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I saw Keri Wing and Kassidy Malinowski play for four straight days this weekend past in Wisconsin, against some of the best players in the world, and I can tell you without hyperbole they would wipe the floor with anybody in this thread.
It would be hilarious to watch them humiliate the OP in a few rounds of pinball. He’d have to create a New poll about the best ways to recover mentally and physically to getting destroyed in a pinball tournament.
Keri will be top 25 very soon.

Truth. Keri is amazing and a super nice person. She kicks my ass every time. Its just a simple matter of numbers and she will be there eventually.

#21 2 years ago

Women can kick any mans ass in pinball and their is no reason other then more men been have been playing.The question should be is how can we get more diversity in pinball.

#22 2 years ago

This poll is flawed. I had my ass handed to me by a 12 year old girl playing ACDC at Pinburgh. Girls and women kick ass at pinball and can also suck at it just like men can. There are just more men in the hobby so naturally there are more ranked male players.

#23 2 years ago

Testosterone vs Estrogen.

#24 2 years ago

Threads like this are why fewer women want to get involved in the hobby.

My wife kicks my butt on any given night, she also brings home the bacon that pays for the machines. But has no interested in competition or pinball shows.

#25 2 years ago

I would suggest adding a poll option mentioning the smaller percentage/number of women currently playing in tourneys (vs men) if you are actually serious about this and not just trying to get a reaction/lock.

#26 2 years ago

My god man, you are really displaying some ignorance. Of course women are capable of being as good at pinball as men. Probably better. It’s more that it’s a male dominated hobby for many reasons Men are closer to children and still play with toys like pinball machines. It’s also that pinball machines are designed by men and so are designed to appeal to men. Have you ever noticed that 90% of pinball machines ever made are covered in drawings of boobies, butts and crotches? Also a great deal of women who have shown and interest or talent in pinball were probably marginalized or harassed or otherwise pushed out of the hobby by the male culture.

#27 2 years ago

A better poll would focus on how to increase the diversity of the hobby rather than trying find some biological reason or stereotypical justification for the result.

#28 2 years ago

#saturdayshitstirring

#29 2 years ago

Clearly it is because men can use their penises to hit the action button while keeping their hands on the flipper buttons all the time.

#30 2 years ago

Thread should get locked soon!

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Thread should get locked soon!

Why would it though? This is the sort of discussion that actually SHOULD be happening… isn’t it?

#32 2 years ago

I know plenty of kick ass women players and we should definitely get them more active in the competitive scene. I’m so happy to see how much better it is now than 25 years ago when it was practically zero.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can vouch for this comment not being hyperbole, as indeed it is accurate in my case.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Why would it though? This is the sort of discussion that actually SHOULD be happening… isn’t it?

Last diversity thread didn't end well.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

The discussion here is valuable. If the thread title was changed to being less triggering and more of what this discussion is actually about, the idea of locking the thread should go away.

My wife only started playing pinball when I got into the hobby less than six years ago. She’s become more than able to hold her own against me, and she regularly beats me on Strato-Flite, one of her favorites.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Last diversity thread didn't end well.

<sigh> I guess I just wish we lived in a world that let us have it out over our disagreements… even when they get ugly.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I know plenty of kids ass women players

When this thread went from cringe to super-cringe...

#38 2 years ago

all this talk about locking threads . Pathetic .
People can no longer talk/text freely .
No freedoms anywhere . So dramatic .
I think it is like football. any given sunday / Anyone can win . There are more men Into pinball than women is probably why without going into all the stats ..

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

This is the sort of discussion that actually SHOULD be happening… isn’t it?

Pinside brass are super selective on what they deem appropriate in between bites of pizza.

#40 2 years ago

I regularly play with 3 women and 2 of the 3 are better than me. We’re all amateurs but there’s nothing biological that makes any of us better or worse. My girlfriend shakes the shit out of the machines when she plays them. St. Louis is home to a female only league and if I were to be in that league I’d surely rank towards the bottom.

#41 2 years ago

I think pinball is an even playing field. There is no real advantage to a male vs a woman player. This is not weightlifting and or Boxing where I could definitely see an advantage.

Ladies & Gentlemen let the games begin.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

When this thread went from cringe to super-cringe...

Ugh, typo. I corrected it.

#43 2 years ago

I would guess it's participation level/interest.

#44 2 years ago

Men's brains are larger, it is science.

#45 2 years ago

Women are just as good as men. Gender is not a factor in pinball skill.

But older players with slower reflexes aren't as good as younger players with lightening reflexes.

Classifying by age not gender makes more sense.

I'd be curious to see where players over 60 are ranked on the list.

#46 2 years ago

My wife is a much better pinball player than I will ever be. Poll is flawed.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

all this talk about locking threads . Pathetic .
People can no longer talk/text freely .
No freedoms anywhere . So dramatic .
I think it is like football. any given sunday / Anyone can win . There are more men Into pinball than women is probably why without going into all the stats ..

People still watch the national felon league??

#49 2 years ago

That's because people have short memories...

#50 2 years ago

One reason could be is women were smart enough to not skip school and go hang out in a smokey pool room to play pinball.

So they may have lost the head start on playing pinball.

They are catching up.

LTG : )

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-men-better-than-women-at-pinball-your-opinion-with-poll-?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.