(Topic ID: 302658)

Why are Men better than Women at Pinball? Your Opinion, with Poll !!!

By HEAD_boss_HOG

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Why are Men better than Women at Pinball? Your Opinion, with Poll !!!”

• Men are more active, and play more pinball 26 votes
    14%
  • Women just don't care as much 111 votes
    59%
  • Men have better hand-eye coordination than women 32 votes
    17%
  • I have no idea, but it is perplexing 10 votes
    5%
  • men are stronger than women, and thus they are better at nudging, creating a competitive advantage 9 votes
    5%

(188 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1820F801-3A50-4CF9-98F2-FA70B7E06734 (resized).jpeg
4F292870-3114-4133-BE77-A8D467424851 (resized).jpeg
312FC4F0-E64D-45FC-84B8-A6A183279F9D (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
MenacingSomberBird-size_restricted.gif
giphy (1).gif
imgs (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211023-073618~2.png
friday-ratchet.gif
YN6qUXj4HdXoY.gif
f.gif
pinball pic (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

At my league there are some women who play and they’re consistently in top 5. In general I’d say probably hand-eye coordination and spacial awareness to accurately predict ball reaction and travel.
If the number of women was even HALF of the active male players, you’d already seen top 25 or even #1 occupied by a woman. Tiny player base leads to tiny distribution in the higher level. Can be applied to everything, more than just sex.
Just because, on average, men tend to possess more intuitive (pinball) skills than women, doesn’t mean there aren’t incredible women playing right now that can destroy all of us in a 1v1.

I agree, and I've been thoroughly beaten my many women. It is a historically (pinball speaking) relevant question still. as pinball gains popularity and becomes more mainstream, I expected, perhaps erroneously, to see more female prodigies emerge as top competitors in the IFPA ranks. I suppose we need more Danielle Peck types; those who were groomed by their parents to become top players. Hopefully, more dads will nudge their daughters into the game to create more balance based on merit, instead of pidgeon holing female players into a separate category.

IMO, it should all be CO-ED without exception. Let the cream rise, as they say!!!

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The entire premise of your question and poll is flawed.
Skill is by no means the issue.
The male to female ratio in the hobby is just heavily skewed.
Have you seen a belles & chimes tournament?

I've watched major tournaments for years, and believe that gender specific tournaments should not exist. Don't you think it's a bit "patronizing" to sequester females into their own competitions/brackets? the question isn't flawed simply because it is categorical and objectively provable using true data. the question validates itself using current data based on objective competitive standards/rankings for competition in a neutral activity; there is no gender advantage...

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I saw Keri Wing and Kassidy Malinowski play for four straight days this weekend past in Wisconsin, against some of the best players in the world, and I can tell you without hyperbole they would wipe the floor with anybody in this thread.
It would be hilarious to watch them humiliate the OP in a few rounds of pinball. He’d have to create a New poll about the best ways to recover mentally and physically after getting destroyed in a pinball tournament.
Keri will be top 25 very soon.

you are 100% right. there's no way I could play with these women; I'm terrible at tournament pinball. My post is one born of curiosity more than ego. I have lost to dozens of females routinely; no shame in losing. It's an equal playing field every plunge

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I've watched major tournaments for years, and believe that gender specific tournaments should not exist. Don't you think it's a bit "patronizing" to sequester females into their own competitions/brackets? the question isn't flawed simply because it is categorical and objectively provable using true data. the question validates itself using current data based on objective competitive standards/rankings for competition in a neutral activity; there is no gender advantage...

I would have agreed on this premise, but I was at a wrestling sign up for my 6th grader. The coaches had just announced a girls only leage. They explained girls have been wrestling for years as coed, but they never had their own league because of the numbers. Now there is enough demand to have a girls only leage for wrestling. I know it's not really the same, but got me thinking about this subject.

Edit: maybe the winners of woman's and men's leage then face off. That would be a fun thing to watch, like the Ryder Cup in golf.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I would have agreed on this premise, but I was at a wrestling sign up for my 6th grader. The coaches had just announced a girls only leage. They explained girls have been wrestling for years as coed, but they never had their own league because of the numbers. Now there is enough demand to have a girls only leage for wrestling. I know it's not really the same, but got me thinking about this subject.
Edit: maybe the winners of woman's and men's leage then face off. That would be a fun thing to watch, like the Ryder Cup in golf.

Yes, my 7 year old son currently wrestles co-ed, and it's a bit awkward to encourage him to do his best to dominate and defeat a female. Wrestling is a different, brutal world as we know. the girls in CA get their own league at age 11, in many leagues, which is a good idea.

I guess what I'm wishing for is tournament directors to adhere to the truism that pinball is a gender neutral hobby; there's no advantage really. we can all attest to being defeated by plenty of women in our time playing pinball. I've really enjoyed noticing more females engaging the hobby; it's refreshing and encouraging to see the appeal, and understand why females love to play the games we love. I hope INDISC 2022 is purely co-ed this time around. women deserve the integration at this point. It exists in other, non gender advantaged competitions I hope...

#56 2 years ago

Maybe it is in your area, but in KC Keri rules!! She is also a great tech!! She has worked on my machines and my friends.. Give it time more Keri’s will appear; she is not a unicorn.

#57 2 years ago

Yes, my 7 year old son currently wrestles co-ed, and it's a bit awkward to encourage him to do his best to dominate and defeat a female. Wrestling is a different, brutal world as we know. the girls in CA get their own league at age 11, in many leagues, which is a good idea.
I guess what I'm wishing for is tournament directors to adhere to the truism that pinball is a gender neutral hobby; there's no advantage really. we can all attest to being defeated by plenty of women in our time playing pinball. I've really enjoyed noticing more females engaging the hobby; it's refreshing and encouraging to see the appeal, and understand why females love to play the games we love. I hope INDISC 2022 is purely co-ed this time around. women deserve the integration at this point. It exists in other, non gender advantaged competitions I hope...

Really my pont was it takes numbers of females to be interested to warrant their own leage. If pinball has the numbers for that, then so be it.

#58 2 years ago

Not much mention of the fact that many women have been harassed, talked down to or mansplained to, stared at creepily by certain other players while playing .. etc. Women only tournaments allow the players to be comfortable, have fun, and (hopefully) not have to deal with that kind of shit. If that kind of stuff never happened, I could see more coed play.

I think the women only leagues are great — I’m sure it is encouraging more to play and compete. I do like the top male/female face off idea for fun at the end of a tournament.

#59 2 years ago

I've watched major tournaments for years, and believe that gender specific tournaments should not exist. Don't you think it's a bit "patronizing" to sequester females into their own competitions/brackets?

Or maybe it's because the one or two women that might show up at a tournament don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of dudes all night at a bar?

#60 2 years ago

Sheer numbers, when my wife was actually interested in playing her scores/skill level went up quickly sadly she lost interest...but still likes to comment on how she rolled Fast Draw on ball 2.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Or maybe it's because the one or two women that might show up at a tournament don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of dudes all night at a bar?

Seriously. Have you seen "pinball dudes?" I wouldn't want to be surrounded by most of them, either!

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Seriously. Have you seen "pinball dudes?" I wouldn't want to be surrounded by most of them, either!

More likely than not, “seeing them” is not the core issue… it is listening to them and dealing with unwanted advances.

Not saying this is unique to pinball, but at least in some parts of our little community we need to do a lot better.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I saw Keri Wing and Kassidy Malinowski play for four straight days this weekend past in Wisconsin, against some of the best players in the world, and I can tell you without hyperbole they would wipe the floor with anybody in this thread.
It would be hilarious to watch them humiliate the OP in a few rounds of pinball. He’d have to create a New poll about the best ways to recover mentally and physically after getting destroyed in a pinball tournament.
Keri will be top 25 very soon.

They were both killing that weekend. They both beat me a couple times, for sure. Jane, Anna and several others there are very good players, as well. Side note, I was surprised I never faced you once in 6 tournaments, Levi.

#64 2 years ago

Forgot the most important option on the poll:

Women are smart enough to not chase what amounts to a dick waving contest with payouts that barely cover expenses. Men are not.

#65 2 years ago

Maybe the better question: What can we do to encourage women to become more comfortable and active in the pinball community?

#66 2 years ago

My 76 year old wife regularly cleans my clock on her
favorite pin (Aztec).

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

More likely than not, “seeing them” is not the core issue… it is listening to them and dealing with unwanted advances.
Not saying this is unique to pinball, but at least in some parts of our little community we need to do a lot better.

That's what I meant

#68 2 years ago

I've watched major tournaments for years, and believe that gender specific tournaments should not exist. Don't you think it's a bit "patronizing" to sequester females into their own competitions/brackets?

The reason these tournaments exist is quite simply because a lot of people like them and want them to exist. Women enjoy them and want them, and tournament directors like them because these ladies spend lots of money on them (I speak from personal experience).

Don't you think it's a bit "patronizing" to tell people what they should like and not like? The women's leagues are all organized by women, and so are many of the women's tournaments.

If you are seriously interested in the reasons these leagues and tournaments exist, you should talk to some of the women involved and ask them why they enjoy them, rather than posing the question here, where almost 100 percent of the regulars are men. May I suggest phrasing the question as "Why do you like these leagues and tournaments," instead of the mansplaining/patronizing version which you seem to favor and I'm told they all hate, which is "Isn't pinball a level playing field and isn't it sexist for there to be women's only tournaments?"

I'm wondering if you really care beyond just trying to stir shit up; you said yourself you suck ass at pinball and have zero interest in the tournament scene. So why does this matter to you at all?

You also miss the point: nobody is "sequestered" into anything, women are free to play in any tournament in pinball, and they do.

#69 2 years ago

Why? Mansplaining, masogony, unwanted advances, etc... hell even the themes of pinballs are not friendly to women. Crap like Big Nelly just continue to make it worse. Really Rush? Most non appealing band for women is the next music pin? Put out Harry Potter, Journey. Quit having polls like this. There are many reasons women are under represented in pinball top rankings. Look at the backglasses on games. Women were objectified in almost all of them through the seventies. The fact that it is was an inhospitable place led women to not participate, so they do not have years of experience. If we made everything perfect, then 50 years from now there will be equity.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Really Rush? Most non appealing band for women is the next music pin?

Really reaching there… lumping Rush in with Whoah Nelly, misogyny, etc. is a bit misplaced to say the least.

#72 2 years ago

My wife likes Rush and pinball... What kind of freak did I marry????

#73 2 years ago

Up here in MN pinball is commonly a hobby/ escape from family life so usually doesn’t involve their wives.

Last year I did start a private group for get togethers and two of the guys bring their women to join in playing pinball and they enjoy it and we all get along. Some women in the group come to socialize with the other women who don’t play pinball.

We all get along and those who don’t wish to participate in pinball aren’t forced to. They don’t object to the theme or offended by what’s on the backglass. Those are silly reasons to not play pinball if you ask the women I know who don’t play. They just aren’t interested. The women who do play could care less about that stuff and aren’t offended. My little cousins favorite game in the house is Metallica and (gasp) she’s female.

Here’s JohnTTwo wife at the end who was supposed to come by for 10 minutes or so to my last party just to drop him off. 3 hours later she’s hooked and played at least 1 of every game in my house and wasn’t offended by anything and I’ve got some crazy stuff in the collection.

#75 2 years ago

How is it patronizing? Some women just want to play with other women, so they formed their own tournaments, good for them. It doesnt mean they cant play in the other tournaments if they choose to do so.

Personally I am terrified to sign up for tournaments because I feel as if everyone would be judging me. Its stupid, I get it, but its how I feel. The more things in this hobby to promote inclusion, the better.

You actually posted a graphic that sort of answers your original question. Next to about 70 percent of the top 25 names was the US flag, so why arent other countries better represented?

Numbers

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Sounds like someone of great taste and distinction to me!

#77 2 years ago

The real answer is rooted much much deeper in our society…male privilege. Everything about pinball from the very beginning has been done to promote an advantage for males. The height of the table. The weight of the table. The themes (not once have I seen a Magic Mike XL theme suggested on these forums!!!). The male familiarity with balls and rubbers. I could go on.

We’re not better, but the game has been designed/evolved (conscientiously or not) to provide an advantage to male players. And yet…some women still dominate men competitively despite this inherent privilege we have!!?!

Before hitting the downvotes, please consider these comments at least somewhat satirical…and then downvote!

#78 2 years ago

Or…or….or…..maybe the women don’t want to be around guys who think they are as fragile as they’ve been perpetrated in this thread.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Or…or….or…..maybe the women don’t want to be around guys who think they are as fragile as they’ve been perpetrated in this thread.

Women like the leagues and tournaments, and want them to exist. Isn't that enough?

That's all that's being "perpetrated" here but that seems to upset some people for some reason.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

My little cousins favorite game in the house is Metallica and (gasp) she’s female.

Heh. It was my wife's favorite game too.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

(not once have I seen a Magic Mike XL theme suggested on these forums!!!

Bro, you have 300 posts. You don't see even 5% of what's posted here. Cmon. You didn't even TRY the search function.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-play-an-adult-themed-pinball-machine#post-6352668

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

The real answer is rooted much much deeper in our society…male privilege. Everything about pinball from the very beginning has been done to promote an advantage for males. The height of the table. The weight of the table. The themes (not once have I seen a Magic Mike XL theme suggested on these forums!!!). The male familiarity with balls and rubbers. I could go on.
We’re not better, but the game has been designed/evolved (conscientiously or not) to provide an advantage to male players. And yet…some women still dominate men competitively despite this inherent privilege we have!!?!
Before hitting the downvotes, please consider these comments at least somewhat satirical…and then downvote!

The weight of the table was "done to promote an advantage for males?"

That's news to me. You're going to have to show some sources for that statement. I would be jaw-dropped-to-the-floor if it could be proven that manufacturers purposely made these machines weigh 200+ lbs to promote male advantage.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Bro, you have 300 posts. You don't see even 5% of what's posted here. Cmon. You didn't even TRY the search function.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-play-an-adult-themed-pinball-machine#post-6352668

I never claimed that I looked hard!

Quoted from 27dnast:

The weight of the table was "done to promote an advantage for males?"
That's news to me. You're going to have to show some sources for that statement. I would be jaw-dropped-to-the-floor if it could be proven that manufacturers purposely made these machines weigh 200+ lbs to promote male advantage.

…yeah that was meant as a satirical comment along with everything else I said. I’ve had 3 back surgeries so far, so I’d beg to argue the weight of the machine has been more of a disadvantage to me.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Let me know when you're done with her.

(Full disclosure: I'm happily married, but my wife doesn't like Rush...)

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

My wife likes Rush and pinball

imgs (resized).jpgimgs (resized).jpg
#86 2 years ago

It's always a bit weird to see one group of people over-defending another group of people. It's also hard to reconcile how those same people will argue that there are no differences in gender then turn around and argue why one gender deserves better treatment than another.

As for pinball....who knows? Maybe it's the same secret reason men are better mechanics, engineers, gun designers, golf players, and football players. Maybe - despite what science has taught us - there are differences in gender.

Maybe it's because men spend most of their years learning how to make things work while women spend those years on other pursuits such as lipstick, shopping, and their sick grandmother in the Carribean.

The best answer is...who cares?

#87 2 years ago

Men and woman are different in alot of ways. Hope I didn't offend anyone. My apologies in advance- please don't call my work.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from GregCon:

Maybe it's the same secret reason men are better mechanics, engineers, gun designers, golf players, and football players.

Hang on. I'm a licensed professional engineer and I know many others, including several women.
Men do not make better engineers than women. I know both men and women that (in my opinion) are better or worse at their jobs.
There are currently many more men that are engineers, but that's the result of it being a historically male field. When I was in college, more than 2/3 of my engineering classes were male. The number of women then was up from nearly zero just 20 years before then and has continued to increase. I think that at some point it will be pretty even.

#89 2 years ago

I mean, the fact you're asking a group of mainly men all these questions really should be your first clue. Want to know what women think? Ask them instead.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Really reaching there… lumping Rush in with Whoah Nelly, misogyny, etc. is a bit misplaced to say the least.

No, jusjust

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:Men and woman are different in alot of ways. Hope I didn't offend anyone. My apologies in advance- please don't call my work.

Chapelle, is that you?

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

Chapelle, is that you?

Yeah, still waiting for Sterns black panther pin.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

No, I just know there are not a lot of female fans. I don't think they have any songs that are misogynistic, at least not that I know of. I think Rush is awesome.

#94 2 years ago

Because like my wife, who completely supports my addiction, most women think it is amusingly silly how we grown men spend so much time obsessing over what is basically a children's game. And have no interest themselves. So as noted above, the ratio of women who are serious players is pretty small. In our league, the few women tend to be wives or girlfriends who play just to spend time with their pinball obsessed men. Not all of them, but I would say most. Just like when I go shopping with my wife.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from GregCon:

It's always a bit weird to see one group of people over-defending another group of people. It's also hard to reconcile how those same people will argue that there are no differences in gender then turn around and argue why one gender deserves better treatment than another.
As for pinball....who knows? Maybe it's the same secret reason men are better mechanics, engineers, gun designers, golf players, and football players. Maybe - despite what science has taught us - there are differences in gender.
Maybe it's because men spend most of their years learning how to make things work while women spend those years on other pursuits such as lipstick, shopping, and their sick grandmother in the Carribean.
The best answer is...who cares?

What century are you living in???

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from GregCon:

Are you for real?!? What the hell garbage is this. It’s 2021 dude, time to put up the 50’s male brain on the shelf and jump into the future. Now the thread is really heading towards a lock, if it wasn’t before. Another one bites the dust.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

You should have added this:

#98 2 years ago

Looks like the type of thread I would start

#99 2 years ago

Probably because they are typically more worried about making sandwiches......im just kidding relax

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from Bigbad:

Probably because they are typically more worried about making sandwiches......im just kidding relax

Oh, that sounds good.

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-men-better-than-women-at-pinball-your-opinion-with-poll-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.