(Topic ID: 231901)

Why are licensed themes the rule, not the exception?

By holminone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by holminone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2046 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider holminone.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I feel like a pinball machine should be like an original piece of fiction with choose your own adventure flavors, vs modeled after an existing story.

There is so much cognitive bias with mass media themes it’s almost impossible to create something appealing, unique and special.

I guess that’s why I love the Dialed In effort so much, and cringe when I hear plans for “Munsters” and “The Beatles” (and I LOVE the Beatles).

If you are going to license, pick one that is almost religious- STTNG being a great example and well executed. The shows’ followers were religious and fanatical. LOTR being another good example.

The Harry Potter movies were born from works of (books).

Pinball needs more unique art and story telling and fewer licensed themes compromised by cognitive bias.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

It's ironic that most video games are unlicensed and almost all pinball machines are. Kind of proves that although licenses are powerful, that if you come up with good original IP it will do better than a license.

It's interesting isn't it. The license provides the initial money making draw, immediate attention, etc... yet at the same time I can't help but feel it dooms the pinball platform to irrelevance. The way I see it, the license by definition is always burdened by judgement. Yes, a license may be favorably judged and be a draw, but it's a short lived high with higher ultimate cost. A license, unlike an unread book, is saddled with constant expectation and judgement... they should have done this... why didn't they include this... this actress is annoying.... this actor groped a woman... And in most cases (save LOTR and maybe a few others) the license, like a movie following a good book, ultimately serves up disappointment- a failure to meet expectation- or the license itself is fatally flawed (I think Munsters is terribly annoying and old, but I guess us old guys are buying the machines...) An original piece of art and story on the other hand stands alone on its own merits. I think that is why the top of the list are endearing, unique themes that stand alone (Granted, MB has its influences (arguably Munsters) and you can't deny the Monty Python influence of Medieval Madness. Funhouse.... fantastic. I would even argue that TZ is a hybrid form of license- an interesting hybrid of Golden Earring music mixed with TZ strangeness and voiceover.)

But with the current heavy bias towards licensing, the problem as I see it is that pinball is at risk of being permanently, and unfavorably judged as a marketing tool to the primary license, and at risk of never being able to stand alone as the art form and experiential achievement that it is. The "brand" of pinball if you will, is subservient to the license it represents. "Oh, that thing was so big and cool they made a pinball machine out of it... big whoop." Old news by the time it hits the street.

Gawd the lack of creativity is appalling. I don't know why I have such a bad reaction to licenses...

Yes there is no turning back the clock to the 90s. I think we would all agree that a great pinball experience impacts how a person feels. Delivering a sense of satisfaction. A sense of unpredictable wonder. But a license means expectation and judgement... and most likely disappointment. Now of course, there is only so much you can do with metal balls, pop bumpers, flipper bats, targets, ramps, etc... so maybe copycat licenses and subservience to a primary brand is the final destination and pinball wasn't intended to be its own art form.

But like the author I quote... I think the data indicates there is better way. And one more thing about DI... I think the concept of Pinball as a development platform is intriguing. I get the sense that the way that Lawlor and co are thinking about the architecture, it's possible for users like us to "dial in" our own experiences into the machines themselves (musical scores, voices, photos, modes, rules, etc)....

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

By whom exactly? Seems to me pinheads love to get a game made in a theme they find endearing, something from their childhood or a band they have followed and enjoyed for decades. Sorry to say sir but u have the bias and as I stated in a previous post are in the minority with this distain for licensed themes.

Let’s be clear. I have a disdain for licenses chosen or executed in poor taste and that they are the rule of design. I think when all you do is licensed photographic games, creativity is stifled.

STTNG, #1 game in my book, LOTR- right up there. But Sopranos? Loved the show, but where is the art? Monopoly? How did this idea get rationalized?

One of my points is there are a ton of starving artists, authors, and comedians that could inject real value into the creative process but instead all we get is formulaic regurgitation of commercial themes.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

poor taste? I'm just not getting it. LOTR's is a great game but the art sucks its pictures of the cast so how can that be #2 and while I'm a huge StarTrek fan the art doesn't even come close to Z Yeti's work on some of the most modern Sterns. You have been hurt by something I think, maybe the Beatles? I don't know but for me I'll take a license with great art over the cartoon crap from the 90's via OG themes. To each his own. Don't care anymore.

Salty. Not trying to argue, just pointing out the opportunity for unique creativity (by art, I’m not just talking about colors and brushstrokes). 4 of the top 10 games are unlicensed. ALL console hits are unlicensed themes. Stern is onto something with epic high energy Rock bands, but lack the creativity and courage to create something new. Given the evidence in both pinball and elsewhere I just find it surprising they don’t take a swing now and then.

#81 5 years ago

And Madden, ball sports, etc etc. Strike “ALL”. “Virtually all save the nit picky corner cases”.

Now I’m getting salty.

#97 5 years ago

Eating some crow a bit. I spent some quality time on The Beatles and I have to say I was impressed with the fun factor and retro yet modern styling. Still think there should be more efforts for net new themes, but will never bash Stern for not taking risks or doing something different. Solid.

IMG_2046 (resized).JPGIMG_2046 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider holminone.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-licensed-themes-the-rule-not-the-exception?tu=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.