(Topic ID: 231901)

Why are licensed themes the rule, not the exception?

By holminone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by holminone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2046 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 5 years ago

Licensed themes tend to date poorly unless its timeless. I prefer unlicensed thems, but DI? Sorry, DI is a terrible example. Pat Lawlor is a master designer, but noting cab scream old person out of technology faster than that turd. It might be the greatest game ever, I still won't drop 10k on it because its laughably awful to look at.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Says the guy who owns a "Punchy the Clown" pinball machine...LOL

Less a pin and more a kid's redemption, but for what it is? Its fine, I like the translite (not a true translite, more a giant decal). The PF art is the stuff of nightmares when you take the plastics off. The sound effects are annoying, but its a kids ticket dispenser. If it weren't for its oddball size I wouldn't have it. It also did not cost me 10k. Do you walk up to it and say wow, that clown screams 1992? Nope, it could have been made 5 years ago from a theme perspective and no one would know. At this point the display and sounds are what really date it.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Great so you prefer unlicensed themes.
    But the only mass produced unlicensed theme of the last 18 years is "terrible" and "laughable" and you have zero interest in.
    So now you know why nobody wants to mass produce unlicensed themes.

So your argument is that because a senior citizen thought a game about cell phones would be a great theme it is our fault that they don't make them? How about the designer picked a terrible theme that is out of touch with the times because sometimes people make poor choices? As much as people dog on Mafia it looks great from a theme perspective. tokyo perfect drift, strange name aside, looks great too, but then did so did Captain Nemo.

Quoted from branlon8:

nice touch - dung calling something a turd

What's brown and sounds like a bell?

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Historically, licensed video games are horrible...probably in the 98% range of horrible. RCT was a videogame licensed pinball, and as has been said it didn't do so hot.
    I will agree it is surprising that they didn't jump on the GTA or Minecraft craze.

BBH Pro also bombed when new, took a few years for it to gain a following. Part of it is that it is a game that is supposed to be the video game instead of the theme around a pin.

Quoted from Zablon:

A game about cell phones? That shows what you know...fine you don't like it, but you clearly don't even know what the theme is, and may have never even played it. Rant some more though..I mean, it's only pinball. Disclaimer: I don't own this pin, but I'd like to.

Sorry, its not NOKIA the game. Its a game where we have a giant cell phone because they decided to heavily buy into its cell phone connectivity. A game where we have a guy holding up his cell phone like he is the it crowd's answer to he-man. Congrats on liking it, consider me one less person you will compete with to buy it and be happy for it. Doesn't change that this was a poor choice of theme.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Do you really own 2 radical machines?

Yes, and neither have been playable in over a year. I made the mistake of doing a long distance trade where the guy brought the games to me from several states away. He showed up late on a sunday night instead of during the day and we made the swap. I traded him a decent TFTC and he got to play it before he moved it. When we brought radical in (my second) I didn't even unfold it, my fault, due to being exhausted and having work in the morning. One ramp was slightly melted and the upper left was ruined. Proto style ramp. I have spent the last 2 years making a mold and have to sit on both while I wait. Despite playing TFTC while here the guy had the nerve to complain when he got it home and it was having issues. It worked, he played it, sucks that it had issues after a few thousand miles on the road, but that is life. I could have fixed that tftc in an hour, but I am stuck with this.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

He sounds ungrateful, but radical is a cool game. I can't believe you have 2!! If you ever want to get rid of one of them, give me a holler.

It is water undert he bridge. I have been chipping away at that ramp mold and hopefully we be done in a few months. Will probably use the second one as trade bait toward an AMH, Godzilla, something on my wishlist.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-licensed-themes-the-rule-not-the-exception?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.