(Topic ID: 231901)

Why are licensed themes the rule, not the exception?

By holminone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by holminone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2046 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

I feel like a pinball machine should be like an original piece of fiction with choose your own adventure flavors, vs modeled after an existing story.

I’m with you all the way. I want originality and creativity in my games - a game where I feel the design team really had a great time coming up with all this stuff, tying it together into a total package- creating something new. A pinball game should be a work of art in my mind, not a piece of merchandising.

I can only hope more original stuff is on the way.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

than that turd.

nice touch - dung calling something a turd

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Yeah they forget all the top games of 90s were in fact licensed and of those that weren't...
    TOM - was supposed to be David Copperfield
    AFM - unlicensed Mars Attacks
    MM - unlicensed Monty Python Holy Grail
    No Good Gophers - unlicensed Caddyshack
    ...and when you get to the actually original stuff:
    Junkyard - flop
    Circus Voltaire - flop
    Safecracker - flop
    Notice a pattern?

Using this logic you could associate any pinball game ever made to some movie or entertainer. Do you think there were never movies made with junkyards, a circus or thieves? How about fishermen, taxis, diners or white water rafting ? You could say MM is a licenced theme based on King Arthur or AFM on HG Wells book/radio show. And which golf club doesn’t fear gophers? You just need to look a bit further back than the 90’s to look for pieces of our cultural identity.

And it’s those pieces of cultural identity which I appreciate seeing in my games. Sure, movies and rock groups have become a significant part of our culture, but unless the pinball game takes a new look at said movie or rock group, I’d rather just have the box set.

#92 5 years ago

Well, I, for one, am really looking forward to the blockbuster film - Dialed In - the Movie. I wonder who they’ll get for the lead role. The studio will save alot of money because the storyline, music and images already exist. Maybe some of the pinball celebrities can make cameo appearances. And for sure there can be some product placements worked in. But I’m sure there will be criticism - people will say, oh no - a movie about smart phones!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-licensed-themes-the-rule-not-the-exception?tu=branlon8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.