Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by sushko
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I've always found it baffling that JJP pins generally ship with their flippers only "just strong enough" to make their shots. I understand you can adjust their power. What I'm curious about is with all of the complaints and whining about "weak JJP flippers" why not ship them at the same power level as most other pins?

Has JJP ever publicly stated WHY they choose to ship their pins like this?

They must see a benefit. One guess is less wear and tear, but that doesn't seem like a reason a manufacturer would use. Or maybe they want their "world under glass" to be more floaty and magical. Most manufacturers set their flippers to have way more power than is necessary to make a shot.

#2 1 year ago

I like JJP flippers as they come out of the box. Never had any problems making shots. At least with DI and GNR.

Are you a Stern fan? That’s not a criticism and I didn’t say fanboy. People used to hate Stern flippers. Times change. Stern flippers are kind of like rockets.

It’s like Jazz or Bluegrass or Heavy Metal. None are wrong, just different.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from altan:

Are you a Stern fan?

I'm a fan of most manufacturers, including Stern. Yeah, the "Stern Snap" is pretty nice and clean, but I know it's not the only way. -I- don't turn my pin flippers to max power as I think it'd feel bad and brutal. Maybe JJP's idea of brutal is lower than mine! For reference, my Wonka and DI would make the shots out of the box but felt like it was really trying. I never feel that way with a Stern or Spooky. Having said that, I turned up the DI and Wonka a bit and now it feels much better, but still not at "Stern Snap" levels. Which is how I prefer it for now.

And I agree, none are wrong, just different. Everyone has their happy zone. I'm just curious -why- one manufacturer seems to consistently apply less power.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I've always found it baffling that JJP pins generally ship with their flippers only "just strong enough" to make their shots. I understand you can adjust their power. What I'm curious about is with all of the complaints and whining about "weak JJP flippers" why not ship them at the same power level as most other pins?
    Has JJP ever publicly stated WHY they choose to ship their pins like this?
    They must see a benefit. One guess is less wear and tear, but that doesn't seem like a reason a manufacturer would use. Or maybe they want their "world under glass" to be more floaty and magical. Most manufacturers set their flippers to have way more power than is necessary to make a shot.

“Most manufacturers” do not do this. Bally did not (remember the coils you had to physically change?). AP does not. Multimorphic does not. I’ve only had 1 Spooky game but i think they load coils as powerful as is needed. JJP follows the B/W method (and they use Williams parts). I would imagine Stern powers their coils strong as possible to avoid too much variation in parts

#5 1 year ago

I upped my GNR flipper power just a tad and I’m happy with the results.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

“Most manufacturers” do not do this.

Every Spooky, CGC and AP I've ever played seems to have "more than enough" power. If you think those manufacturers feel like JJP, why would anyone single out JJP?

#7 1 year ago

I like the feel of both jjp and stern flippers. To answer your question, they are set at the factory setting where they can make every shot, yet not too strong to where they will be strong enough to cause more likely damage at faster speeds. I typically turn mine up a notch or two, and they are plenty powerful, and fast. I think they feel perfect for jjp style games

#8 1 year ago

They've never said, to my knowledge. It must be a conscious thing though at this point.

They also have really weak slingshots. They're the only coils on the 20v circuit.

My bet is its a combination of wanting to me more family friendly, relaxing home games, and technical limitations (they overheat very easily at higher settings)

#9 1 year ago

I've honestly never noticed it. However, GnR plunger? Good lord that is one limp mechanism.

#10 1 year ago

The flippers do feel very odd for sure. My beef, however, is the sling "power." Like, don't even bother with putting kickers in there why don't ya.

#11 1 year ago

I agree with the others ... likely to minimize damage and wear. I personally love the feel of them and you can crank them up, but I agree the factory setting is too low. I have my WOZ and Wonka both turned up a couple of levels (but nowhere near max).

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

I've honestly never noticed it. However, GnR plunger? Good lord that is one limp mechanism.

I also hate that shot the plunger gives. I feel like when you plunge the ball it needs to feel good, even if you hit the skill shot it’s still underwhelming.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

I've honestly never noticed it...

Now that is weird.

#14 1 year ago

I don’t buy JJP pins anymore cause their flippers sucks and their themes suck and their prices suck.
    But yes their flippers feel like slapping a limp dick across a hot hookers face. “Such a waste”

#15 1 year ago

JJP machines flipper strength is set low for 2 things. 1st The prefer pitch of the machine and 2nd they are using the equivalent to williams blue coil which is the strongest coil williams ever used. Or it could be JJP mess up by not having the hold wind powering up with the flip wind can cause weakness too.

#16 1 year ago

I’d say it’s more Stern flippers are a lot snappier than everyone else and have always been snappier since flippers went solid state controlled. People are most familiar with Stern’s feel after being the industry leader for twenty years.

Quoted from zacaj:

They've never said, to my knowledge. It must be a conscious thing though at this point.
    They also have really weak slingshots. They're the only coils on the 20v circuit.
    My bet is its a combination of wanting to me more family friendly, relaxing home games, and technical limitations (they overheat very easily at higher settings)

Williams had 20 volt slings too. JJP flippers are higher volt than Stern.

And how much does that even matter when everything can be PWM for more granular control?

#17 1 year ago

Had a bunch of diff machines and noticed that my Halloween spooky flippers are beasts. They have to be as snappy as stern.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I’d say it’s more Stern flippers are a lot snappier than everyone else and have always been snappier since flippers went solid state controlled. People are most familiar with Stern’s feel after being the industry leader for twenty years.

Williams had 20 volt slings too. JJP flippers are higher volt than Stern.
    And how much does that even matter when everything can be PWM for more granular control?

Stock JJP's are far weaker than any 90s game. It's not stern that's the outlier
    Williams slings have been 50v since the 90s. JJP uses 50+v for everything except the slings. And as you say, the high voltage isn't comparable, since both Stern and JJP PWM their flippers.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

Apparently you missed the point of the skill shot. No need for a heavy spring when the ball only has to travel less than 12”.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I've always found it baffling that JJP pins generally ship with their flippers only "just strong enough" to make their shots.

At the factory their current might be higher than yours. So if yours is lower, they will be different from what they were set at in the factory.

Easy for you to go into Settings - Coils - and see the coils to your liking.

#21 1 year ago

I think JJP flipper strength is about right. Stern's are too powerful. Stern aims for the casual audience and kids who get impressed by whacking it around at high speed. JJP aims more at serious players who will take more time to catch and control.

Spooky's flippers are almost as snappy as Stern's, in fact I thought Rick and Morty was a Stern the first time I saw it.

American's flippers are the ones that are weak trash, although I've only played a couple on location that were fairly worn.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

At the factory their current might be higher than yours. So if yours is lower, they will be different from what they were set at in the factory.

You're not on their payroll anymore; no need to keep up with this old wives' tale.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Spooky's flippers are almost as snappy as Stern's, in fact I thought Rick and Morty was a Stern the first time I saw it.
    American's flippers are the ones that are weak trash, although I've only played a couple on location that were fairly worn.

I don’t have a super current stern but had a tron recently and my spooky Halloween is snappier and shooting airballs everywhere.

9 months later
    #24 7 months ago

I am going to install one of these on my GNR slingshot and see how much better it gets. I will also take temps to make sure it doesn't catch fire.

https://www.amazon.com/D-FLIFE-LTC1871-Converter-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B0C7GMWZ4J/ref=sr_1_26

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-jjp-flippers-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.