(Topic ID: 67081)

Why are folks so happy to pay 8K for a reissue of a 20 year old game?

By Piparoo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0856_1_1.JPG
2008_dodge_challenger_srt8_concept.jpg
image-54.jpg
image-610.jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Nobody wanted to spend $8k, but if you want the game NIB and LE, you have to pony up. They know they got us by the balls. Boycotting the price only means you won't be a NIB MM owner, ever. Sucks, but not much we can do.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

A lot of folks seem grateful to be paying $8000 for a Medieval Madness remake. I suppose when compared to what they were going for two days ago I can understand...

You're on the right track...the opportunity to pay 8K for NIB MM(R) is a chance to say FU to the restored original MM, Tron LE, MB, AFM, ACDC BIBLE, BBB machines of the pinball world that cost more.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Nobody wanted to spend $8k, but if you want the game NIB and LE, you have to pony up. They know they got us by the balls. Boycotting the price only means you won't be a NIB MM owner, ever. Sucks, but not much we can do.

Nobody has anyone by the balls. What you are really saying is you are no longer a participant in the NIB pinball market or that you are willing to pay more than you think a NIB is worth. Fair enough.

In the first case: When enough people agree with you, the price will come down or there will be no more NIB pinballs.

In the second case: that's how markets work.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

Nobody has anyone by the balls.

Couldn't disagree more.

#55 10 years ago

IMHO, MMR at $8k is comparable, if not better in many ways, than Stern DMDs being made today. Seriously, if you consider game play, toys, etc. MMR - a nearly 20 year old game design, is equivalent, if not better than any recent NIB Stern LE.

For that matter, also IMHO, it demonstrates how little has actually changed in mainsteam pinball manufacturing and design when it comes to the player experience.

#56 10 years ago

I wonder if AFM is going to be a little less expensive...

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I would sadly doubt it.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hoping,and if its not I will pass.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

A lot of folks seem grateful to be paying $8000 for a Medieval Madness remake. I suppose when compared to what they were going for two days ago I can understand. But doesn't $8000 seem kind of high for a game that was developed 20 years ago? It doesn't seem like this is going to make other NIB pinball machines any less expensive.

It just goes to show how pissed off consumers are at Stern for selling us games with uncompleted code and no viable promise to complete it in the future. Paying $8000 for a NIB game that we all know has completed code is preferable to paying $7900 for a NIB STLE with few toys, questionable quality and no guarantee of the code ever being completed.
The pinhead community obviously agrees with this being that 1000 games were sold in 6 hours. Pinheads voted with their wallets. It will be interesting to see if Stern finally gets the point of what we have all been complaining about for many years.
So why are people whining about paying $8000 for a game that would have cost them twice that much last week? Nobody was whining about the prices of used MMs for twice the price two weeks ago. And nobody whined about the amount of clear coat on the aftermarket playfields for $1300 for the past few years either.

#60 10 years ago

Mm is overrated come up with something new then I might pony up 8 grand

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

Mm is overrated come up with something new then I might pony up 8 grand

1. Your wrong
2. You won't

#62 10 years ago

Say's a lot about Stern , in 20 years they have nt

Quoted from PW79:The MM remake will send a message for sure.
Stern: Up your games & code
JJP: Get your shit together
The takeaway: Make something cooler than a 20 year game if you want sales
Don't forget BTW Stern offers games at almost half the price of a PP or JJP

Could nt have said it any better .

And don't forget this is only the first of more Bally/Williams remakes .

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Say's a lot about Stern , in 20 years they have nt

Could nt have said it any better .
And don't forget this is only the first of more Bally/Williams remakes .

I think the apostrophe key on your keyboard is broken.

#64 10 years ago

What does 20 years have to do with anything? I love stern pinballs so no bias here, but can you name some sterns with as much "innovation" and overall design as MM? Sure, there are a few, but this game is still fun. My wife barely is getting/not really getting into pinball and she loves MM. She first played it 2 years ago, so to her it is a 2 year old game, not 20. Plus, MM was in 1997, since when was that 20 years?

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

MM was in 1997, since when was that 20 years?

Because someone on pinside said it, so it must be true!

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

I don't think your question is difficult at all. People are paying $8k for a 20 YO game that cost over 3 grand new 20 years ago. The buying power of the dollar seems par for that course.

That accounts for less than half of the cost increase. A $3,500 MSRP in 1997 (I'm making that up, maybe someone else knows what actual MSRP would have been) translates to $5,100 in today's dollars. So that still leaves $2,900 in non-inflationary cost increase. (And I say this as someone who at least attempted to buy on Friday).

BTW, this inflation calculator is pretty interesting to play around with in general: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from RandyV:

IMHO, MMR at $8k is comparable, if not better in many ways, than Stern DMDs being made today. Seriously, if you consider game play, toys, etc. MMR - a nearly 20 year old game design, is equivalent, if not better than any recent NIB Stern LE.

This is why pin prices keep going up... $8k for a pin built and coded from the ground up, but no innovation, "horrible"; a 15 year old clone that has no overhead to build and probably has a $4k per unit profit margin, "totally reasonable" ....

Wheres the face palm emoticon on this board?

#68 10 years ago

The instant sell-out says that the remake was underpriced. Inflation or not.

I like my money just fine, but the business part of me understands this.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

1. Your wrong
2. You won't

What's
And
4?
Your wrong
I will

#70 10 years ago

They are going to sell so many of these that the games will be worth $2K less than you paid for them the day you open them.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

That accounts for less than half of the cost increase. A $3,500 MSRP in 1997 (I'm making that up, maybe someone else knows what actual MSRP would have been) translates to $5,100 in today's dollars. So that still leaves $2,900 in non-inflationary cost increase. (And I say this as someone who at least attempted to buy on Friday).
BTW, this inflation calculator is pretty interesting to play around with in general: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

You obviously haven't hired an employee recently.

#72 10 years ago

insert spit take

#73 10 years ago

After seeing the Gamplay on youtube my kids LOVE the theme! I am excited to maybe own a MMR one day because it will bring joy and fun for my family. I am happy to buy remake of a game 20 year old concept because we otherwise would NEVER get to play MM at all. It's about playing around my house or I should say future playing as we get our first pin in a few weeks! As a newbie I don't know enough about the quality of the manufacturing so as long as it play's well and long that's good enough for me.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

They are going to sell so many of these that the games will be worth $2K less than you paid for them the day you open them.

glad you get pleasure from people losing money! i am in on one and the thought of getting a nib mm has me excited. i would never spend this kind of money on a 16 year old machine that has been routed.

how much less will yours be worth if mine loses $2k

see i can be a prick too

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

This is why pin prices keep going up... $8k for a pin built and coded from the ground up...

since when are Sterns coded?

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

honestly I hope so. it makes no sense to buy a new commercial product and expect it to appreciate in value after being used. that should be throwing huge red flags about the health of the hobby. I am buying an LE and I hope for the long term sanity of pinball, that it depreciates like any normal toy would.

#77 10 years ago

It's 2013, not 1997. When the board goes, you pay your $40 and get a new one. Someone found the board they were using and it was literally $40.

Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

Ahem, those board sets? Those are nutty. Doesn't look great for servicing.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Agreed. And I do like stern games a lot. But there business model has made a 20 year old game with finished code seem impressive. Weird times indeed!

I don't think it has anything to do with Stern at all. A remake of MM at a reasonable price with the current supply/demand issues would seem impressive even if Stern didn't even exist.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's 2013, not 1997. When the board goes, you pay your $40 and get a new one. Someone found the board they were using and it was literally $40.

Yeah, but the Stern boards and original boards from a B/W machine are much larger...which means they must be faster and more reliable....

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Plus, MM was in 1997, since when was that 20 years?

20 years by Christmas

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

What's
And
4?
Your wrong
I will

Trying to follow along here.. so you are saying he says "you are wrong" again and he will?

You're both wrong (for the record)

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Yeah, but the Stern boards and original boards from a B/W machine are much larger...which means they must be faster and more reliable....

lol

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

You obviously haven't hired an employee recently.

Fair enough, I haven't. Have wages increased more than 32% since 1997? I'm sure it's industry specific, but the random stats I remember hearing are that overall, US wages haven't even kept up with inflation for the past 20-30 years (and at least according to that calculator, $3,500 in 1997 dollars had the buying power that $5,100 does in 2013).

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I remember hearing are that overall, US wages haven't even kept up with inflation for the past 20-30 years

It's not just the wages that cost employers more.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

That is true.

There is no replacement for displacement.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Have wages increased more than 32% since 1997

In NYS it has, from approx $5/hr to just under $8/hr

EDIT: Current is $7.25, I thought it was $7.75

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Not the original. AC cobra baby

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

glad you get pleasure from people losing money!

it's moreso a commentary that people are buying them so fast that they won't realize they've reached market saturation until they are way past that point.

Quoted from vex:

the thought of getting a nib mm has me excited.

that's great, you shouldn't be upset about potentially losing a little money then.

Quoted from vex:

how much less will yours be worth if mine loses $2k

It doesn't matter but i'm guessing somewhere down the road mine will be worth more than your's. It's a pretty nice sample game. I do think i took a $3-4K hit on it's value a couple days ago but i'm fine with that. I'm not happy but i'm not about to jump off a bridge or anything. lol.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

It doesn't matter but i'm guessing somewhere down the road mine will be worth more than your's. It's a pretty nice sample game. I do think i took a $3-4K hit on it's value a couple days ago but i'm fine with that. I'm not happy but i'm not about to jump off a bridge or anything. lol.

What are the differences with a sample game?

#90 10 years ago

Not just a 20 year old game, but "the" 20 year old game, the best game of all time..... Based on your (pinsides) ratings. http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

I am not here to debate whether it is or isn't, but its definately on of the best games ever made, and to buy one at all, let alone a brand new one, is appealing to many.

#91 10 years ago

Real aluminum body panels.

Quoted from vid1900:

There is no replacement for displacement.

427 side oiler.

#92 10 years ago

20 years old. it's the new 15 years old.

Yes people are happy to pay $8,000 for a remake of Medieval Madness, because even though there were many made 15 years ago, many owners won't part with them. Do you think someone just decided to go out and make replicas on a whim? Pretty sure they had making money off the project in mind.

#93 10 years ago

I don't see how this thread exists. Medieval Madness is the number one rated pinball machine. Ergo, lots of people want it.

It's a fun game to play, it brings back incredible nostalgia, what's to want. I know plenty of people who would buy a remake of a 1969 Camaro SS. Are the new Camaros nicer? have better tech, etc? Sure, but doesn't mean the 1969 remake wouldn't sell.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I don't see how this thread exists

Agree. The question is why pay 8k?? Well for starters most were willing to pay double that 4 days ago. So to ask why one would pay half of what they were paying before is a bit of an odd question.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Agree. The question is why pay 8k?? Well for starters most were willing to pay double that 4 days ago. So to ask why one would pay half of what they were paying before is a bit of an odd question.

Based on one photo and a feeding frenzy people think they getting a MM. It is a MMR. Time will tell. Why 8k and not 5k? It is a repro made by joke company in the pin biz. That's why.

Don't forget the R. I won't

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Based on one photo and a feeding frenzy people think they getting a MM. It is a MMR. Time will tell. Why 8k and not 5k? It is a repro made by joke company in the pin biz. That's why.
Don't forget the R. I won't

That's new. In all the talk about the reproduction, no one has mentioned that Planetary Pinball has a bad reputation. I would have thought it would have come up soon after they asked for $8000.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

That's new. In all the talk about the reproduction, no one has mentioned that Planetary Pinball has a bad reputation. I would have thought it would have come up soon after they asked for $8000.

They only asked for $1000.

The balance is due 1 week before delivery.

#98 10 years ago

Look at it this way.

Stern - Star Trek LE - 7k - equivalent to pro 4 years ago - code not finished
JJP - Wiz - 8k - lots of stuff - opinions vary on fun factor - code not finished
MM - 8k - one of the best games of all time. Lots of fun stuff. Excellent code

I wouldn't have paid 8k for an MM 4 years ago but today. If you want a great machine it's the best choice right now (assuming you don't have one.) Next AFM? Next Monster Bash. PP could consume a large chunk of pinhead money if they do this right.

#99 10 years ago

8K is more than I've said (in the past) I would ever pay for a pin but, that was before NIB MMs became an option. It's a lot of cash yes and it yes may decline in value, but I really like the game and plan on keeping it for many years and play the hell out of it so, it doesn't matter in the long run, I'll get my money worth from it.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Stern - Star Trek LE - 7k - equivalent to pro 4 years ago - code not finished

Isn't Star Trek LE 8K+?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-folks-so-happy-to-pay-8k-for-a-reissue-of-a-20-year-old-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.