Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

All my '70s Gottlieb wedgeheads have credit/replay assemblies that are set on springs and grommets so they can move around freely while my ball count stepper is screwed in solidly. Attached are pics from my C37.

What is the purpose of having the credit/replay unit able to move around so freely?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

The best reason that I had heard of was to not cause damage to the backglass.

#3 6 years ago

But I would think there is more potential for it to damage the backglass (last pic) since it CAN move around so much.

#4 6 years ago

I recant my previous comments. Should of waited to comment until I had the facts at hand.

Once again Spinal you have come up with an interesting question.

Sooo, from the 1972 Catalog on Page 12. "Shock Mounts for the Replay Units".

#5 6 years ago

It's for anti-cheat purposes. Smacking the cabinet just right, or sticking something through a drilled hole, can't manipulate the credit unit as easily if it won't stay put.

#6 6 years ago

Exactly. Another precaution against cheating. Manufacturers often spring mounted or rubber mounted any assemblies or relays involving replay awards. This prevents slamming or other hard impacts from awarding free games illicitly.

#7 6 years ago

It was those springs and 1 rubber grommet that prevented us yard apes from getting credits. When we use to pick up the end of the game and drop it an inch or two... Hmmmm. Such Bastiches we were.

#8 6 years ago

One of the reasons the coin lockout coil exists. Every time the score motor operates, the coil turns off, and any coins deposited are returned. If the coin mech didn't work this way and a coin was inserted at the time the score motor is running, it would count extra credits.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for all the great replies - again glad I asked as I had no idea!

#10 6 years ago

I've also wondered about the credit unit mounting since I first opened up my KOD, along with why there is metal shielding on the side of the credit reel. Now this conversation makes me think that metal may also be an anti-cheat device to block access to the reel from a hole in the cabinet, is that the case?

#11 6 years ago

Makes sense Infectious - that must be it. Here is a pick of my C37:

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Infectious:

is that the case?

Yes, it is.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Infectious:

I've also wondered about the credit unit mounting since I first opened up my KOD, along with why there is metal shielding on the side of the credit reel. Now this conversation makes me think that metal may also be an anti-cheat device to block access to the reel from a hole in the cabinet, is that the case?

Yes. In fact, some Williams machines had a metal box which encased the entire replay unit. They're usually missing though, because the first guy who ever had to service the unit would likely not bother to screw it back on afterwards.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-creditreplay-units-not-screwed-in-tight-like-ball-count-units?hl=frobozz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.