Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Atari_Daze
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200317-145816_Google (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Do they need to be? Is it for identification purposes? Quarantine minds like mine want to know!

#2 4 years ago

I would assume insulation, protection, and identification.

#3 4 years ago

Because condoms wouldn't make sense.

Play safe!

#4 4 years ago

I would say identification.
    The newer coils for Stern only have a small band to identify them, not a full wrapper.

#5 4 years ago

Alternative question - I have a coil that has no wrapping - should I wrap it in something for safety reasons? Electrical tape?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Alternative question - I have a coil that has no wrapping - should I wrap it in something for safety reasons? Electrical tape?

Hmm, good question. I don't know that a thin piece of paper is much of an electrical insulator.

#7 4 years ago

If I remember right the paper wrappers are for part numbers and help with loose coil windings shorting aginst the metal bracket.

#8 4 years ago

The "paper" that they are wrapped in isn't run of the mill paper. Its more like a masking tape material and it is coated. It does provide some level of physical protection but its not really insulating anything; the coil wire itself is coated which provides the insulation.

#9 4 years ago

I would not use electrical tape, especially the low quality gummy stuff

#10 4 years ago

Why do coils hum?
    they don't know the words.

#11 4 years ago

Are not most coils made (wrapped) with wire (not bare metal) but coated wire?
    Certainly flipper coils (2 wire wrap) are such.
    Might it be better to wrap and ID part#s for coils with shrinkwrap plastic?
    Paper tend to fall off with time or even catch fire.

#12 4 years ago

Ricochet has it correct. It's printed Masking tape. Although it offers minimal protection the main purpose is as a label for the coil type.

#13 4 years ago

Fun facts, Coil wire is indeed insulated, it is very similar in nature to electric motor wire which is insulated with a varnish type of product.
    It is also called magnet wire. Also very close to transformer wire. All dipped or run through an insulating coating. Further since the coil itself, whether in a pinball coil or transformer coil has no moving parts they very rarely fail. The insulation typically has a voltage withstand rating much higher than rated voltage so even a small to moderate surge will not kill one, but like all things it can happen.
    In electric motors for example, most motors I sell operate on 480VAC and has a withstand over 1500V.
    Sorry, I'm a motor nerd, I sell them, thus I know enough to be dangerous. That is why they have me sell them not wire them, 480V hurts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-coils-wrapped-in-paper?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.