Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

writing_process.gif
    #1 12 years ago

For some reason, many Pinsiders in California seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to getting a new pin in our collection. Sometimes, great deals come up, but they're gone in an hour. It seems weird that one area alone has more pricier pins than another(i.e. the recent JM thread that had one for sale for 2300 but normally is priced around the 1500 range). Can anyone explain?

#2 12 years ago

When you find out let me know. Frustrating but not much that can be done about it.

#3 12 years ago

sounds like cause there is a craigslist hoarder called sean casey according to rgp

#4 12 years ago

Everything in California is higher priced.

You have more people per capita in a smaller area increasing demand.

And you have a lot of people with money to pay the higher prices.

#5 12 years ago

Why does gas cost more here?

Why does electricity cost more here?

Why does food cost more here?

#6 12 years ago

I heard about that guy from the people in San Fran.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Everything in California is higher priced.

+1 Look at L.A. for gas. If I'm correct, it's 5 bucks a gallon.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

sounds like cause there is a craigslist hoarder called sean casey according to rgp

That's Northern California.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

SealClubber said:Everything in California is higher priced.
    +1 Look at L.A. for gas. If I'm correct, it's 5 bucks a gallon.

San Diego has the highest gas prices in California, not L.A.

#10 12 years ago

Trust me, after living in Belmont Shore in Long Beach for a long time...it's worth the added cost!

I just shoveled eight inches of damp snow yesterday...I miss surfing in Feb/Mar down on the southside of HB Pier or just north at Dog Beach

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

San Diego has the highest gas prices in California, not L.A.

They are high in most populated areas in Cali it's a bit ridiculous.

Quoted from Nibbles:

it's worth the added cost!

I agree with you 100% no place in the world I would rather be this is home.

#12 12 years ago

Supply and demand, along with the implications of people not wanting to have pinball machines shipped to them.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

You have more people per capita

Wow ;o)

#14 12 years ago

Boy, do I feel dumb bringing up this thread.

writing_process.gifwriting_process.gif

Time to do what I do best.

#15 12 years ago

Real estate, gas, taxes, income, are all high in California, so why wouldn't luxury items be higher too?

If your patient, you can still get good deals on pins. Yes, it is difficult, but not impossible.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I agree with you 100% no place in the world I would rather be this is home.

I like California, but it sure gives Illinois a run for it's money in most financially F'ed state in the union!

#17 12 years ago

It's natural if you pay a higher price on a pin you want to get most of it back when you sell it so I can definitely understand that aspect of it.

Quoted from Dewey68:

I like California, but it sure gives Illinois a run for it's money in most financially F'ed state in the union!

I don't know man it appears to me to be the whole system that is F'ed up not just an individual state. Been in Cali for a good portion of my life and have traveled a decent amount but still not many places I would rather be thats just the truth about it.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

but it sure give Illinois a run for it's money in most financially F'ed state in the union!

+1 The Human Punchline > Jerry Brown

#19 12 years ago

Sean Casey is an alright dude for a guy who does what he does.

For you southern Californians, the Pintastic brothers in Corona are the worst at sucking the market out there dry. They buy everything on CL and will drive up the sellers asking price if you beat them to it. They apparently also ship tons of pins to Australia according to someone on RGP?

http://pintasticpinballonline.com/

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

I just moved back to Chicago and I already have a ticket from a red light camera saying that I didn't come to a complete stop before turning right on red. I mean, truthfully, I kinda rolled into the turn but it was onto an expressway on-ramp! Good grief, Chicago!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

They apparently also ship tons of pins to Australia according to someone on RGP?

Hmmm..... anyone dealt with Pintastic Bros. before?

Endless Pinball is great; you definitely get what you pay for.

#22 12 years ago

Oh, and $100 "city stickers" to park on the street and privatized all encompassing street parking meters...

#23 12 years ago

Endless Pinball is Pat Choy, a well-respected dude in the pinball community.

#24 12 years ago

"Pintastic Pinball offers quality pinball machines at wholesale prices featuring all types and for all ages!" (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pintastic-Pinball/130928126953541?sk=info)

$3299 for a Capt. Fantastic (ebay.com link: itm)?

Probably purchased for like $300 off of CL.

#25 12 years ago

Must be because its closer to Australia, and everything costs double here.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

Must be because its closer to Australia, and everything costs double here.

The same can't be said for cans of Fosters here. A steal at two for $5.

#27 12 years ago

"IN N' OUT BURGER GIFT CARD $15 BUY IT NOW FOR $12!! & FREE SHIPPING (#330672187153)"

They're in that racket, too, I guess?

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Probably purchased for like $300 off of CL.

You are probably right, they sure are proud of what they have.

Quoted from jahbarron:

"IN N' OUT BURGER GIFT CARD $15 BUY IT NOW FOR $12!! & FREE SHIPPING (#330672187153)"

They're in that racket, too, I guess?

Awe, but does it get any better...gotta go get a double double animalized!!!

Quoted from jahbarron:

Sean Casey is an alright dude for a guy who does what he does.

He seemed like a nice enough guy when I talked to him but I think he is a little proud of what he has too. I have also heard he is quite the gouging flipper. I don't know, I guess when I see a Pin at a decent price then look at the pics and notice really bad wear on the pf it just upsets me.
    I love CA but for the most part the prices are out of control...but there are deals to be had, just gotta watch. Anyone been downtown to see the DE simpsons and Cue Ball that guy who closed his business has for sale? I talked to him but am surprised he still has the two Pins...Oh sorry, was that a hi-jack?...uh, yeah, the prices are higher here.

#29 12 years ago

So I have to add...how about fabulous fantasies...are you F'n kidding me?

#30 12 years ago

Cause gas is $ 5.00 a Gal. Ask Out-West !!!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

So I have to add...how about fabulous fantasies...are you F'n kidding me?

and VAS in Glendale.

#32 12 years ago

Why are CA pins priced so high? For the same reason Corvettes and Juke Boxes get top money here: some people are making more money.

I've dealt with Sean Casey on a deal and he was stand-up and straight up. No BS, no crap. Hard worker. I am not going to brag about the price I paid to him for LW3 at a show, but at the same time, my LW3 doesn't need repairs.

In the "context" of CA higher prices, I think Sean is a good value, particularly for those who aren't technical.

#33 12 years ago

California, if it were a country, would be the world's sixth largest economy.
    High priced pins- yes!
    But here's the funny part..
    There's lots of bargains here, too, if you don't mind something a little older.
    I would not want to live anywhere else.

#34 12 years ago

At least you have pins for sale period....be thankful for that...

#35 12 years ago

I've gotten some pins at fair prices. Not steals, but more availability if I'm willing to pay market price. Sure wish I'd paid just $100 more to get a white water a year back, but it would have meant I'd have had to pay the stellar price of $2300 for a shopped, immaculate pin. Heck, everyone new the pin would never be worth that price. Just ask me. I know it all. lol

#36 12 years ago

It's the sunshine. We tax that. And all I need to remind of why California is expensive is to walk out my door in February and now early March in my barefeet and think about washing my car on this nice sunny day. And I am in Northern California. So yeah, blame the sunshine.

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Trust me, after living in Belmont Shore in Long Beach for a long time...it's worth the added cost!
    I just shoveled eight inches of damp snow yesterday...I miss surfing in Feb/Mar down on the southside of HB Pier or just north at Dog Beach

Born and raised in Long Beach, Ca. here! Too bad if you surfed we had to go to O.C. beaches to find the waves! HB was the spot!

#38 12 years ago

San Diego born and raised, don't miss the inflation at all. It is like a life tax you have there. Only occasional family visits from now on. But California isn't the only place with inflated pin prices. Check chicago, new york, and here (portland) any place that has a lot of pinheads looking for games.

#39 12 years ago

We should just pump container loads of pins from the East Coast and Europe at cheap prices to flood the market and bring prices down a little.........

#40 12 years ago

Not only is everything expensive here, there's usually not much for sale here. Plus lots of people are looking including the aforementioned Corona flippers and more, the cost to have pins shipped in is high and risky. When something worthwhile does become available it goes fast. When I call on a game. I'm surprised when I don't hear that it's sold!

All that aside, I wouldn't live anywhere else. It's sunny and clear with temps in the mid 70's today and a nice ocean breeze, typical CA winter.

#41 12 years ago

You just have to get lucky like anywhere else. I bought 3 of my 4 pins locally, and 2 of those were really great deals in any state. $900 for DM and $600 for HS2, add those together and that's what I paid for BR, which I now realize was a bit high (not outrageous though) but I was still fresh to the hobby.

#42 12 years ago

Love the Corona flippers, I have gotten a couple shop jobs from people who have bought their games.
    Nobody schools a newb any better.
    I learned a few things along the way also like how to rebuild a folly shopped Who Dunnit.
    Great guys!

This one goes out to you boys.

Eric

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Love the Corona flippers, I have gotten a couple shop jobs from people who have bought their games.
    Nobody schools a newb any better.
    I learned a few things along the way also like how to rebuild a folly shopped WHO dunnit.
    Great guys!

This one goes out to you boys.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from super8man:

It's the sunshine. We tax that. And all I need to remind of why California is expensive is to walk out my door in February and now early March in my barefeet and think about washing my car on this nice sunny day. And I am in Northern California. So yeah, blame the sunshine.

+1. i just got back from turtle bay in redding with the family. 73 and not a cloud in the sky.
    fwiw,if you get the chance,check out the Dr. Seuss exhibit. its awesome.

#45 12 years ago

At least you guys have a huge variety of sellers in Cali

#46 12 years ago

I was playing TSPP earlier today with the radio on, and this wonderful gem came on making my day and somewhat contributing to this thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-california-pins-priced-so-high and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.