Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by dirtrider
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

derby.jpg
    DK.jpg
    arcade_mania.jpg
    pulsar.jpg
    Dark_Tower.jpg
    mastermind.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    Mattel-FootballI.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

because this is what was waiting at home:

More vids at:

http://pinballbayarea.wordpress.com

#2 13 years ago

Oh I remember all those first red LED handheld games back then.
    Dodge, shoot, etc ... I can't remember all the names... anyone ?

#3 13 years ago

We had a baseball game and a football game.

#5 13 years ago

Dont make fun - but I still have my wildfire - it worked up until about a year ago, going to take it apart and see if I can fix it!!! that thing was awesome back in the day.

#6 13 years ago

Found a Coleco electronic football game at the goodwill last summer new in box for like 3.00. sold it on Ebay for 30

#7 13 years ago

Ooh! Oooh!! I want one for my collection!! I'll put it right next to my Centaur
    Then I can wipe the dirt off and sell it on eBay for 2x what it's worth

It's funny to look back on what excited us 30 years ago! I remember having Coleco envy at my friends toys. I was too poor to have stuff like that as a kid

Nice retro!

G

#8 13 years ago

Coleco - love that name anyone know what it means?

#9 13 years ago

"Coleco - love that name anyone know what it means? "

Connecticut Leather Company

G

#10 13 years ago

I never owned that fancy Coleco head-to-head model, but I did have an earlier handheld football game my Mattel:

Mattel-FootballI.jpgMattel-FootballI.jpg

#11 13 years ago

But my favorite electronic game from that era by far was Merlin:

Merlin.jpgMerlin.jpg

#12 13 years ago

That's awesome, I forgot all about merlin. We had one of those too. And yes that is the exact football that we had at my house.

#13 13 years ago

well I'm not a big fan of solid state jive - you all know,
    but I remenber back in the day a small game that swept the country by storm
    and was used in school to teach analytical skill about the same time
    that the Mattel Football gizmo game out pictured above by gweempose.
    I'm sure most of you arent old enough to have played it before it's popularity dimmed......................

mastermind.jpgmastermind.jpg

#14 13 years ago

Autumnfade, I have that exact same box of Mastermind here in my games cabinet. Yes it's old. I remember as a kid I was always intrigued by that picture on the box. Not sure why The game is quite fun, although my girlfriend beats me every game.

#15 13 years ago

I'm so glad to hear someone else knows what I'm talking about

I was looking for photos and there's one of the mastermind box with the same guy & girl 30 years older - crazy

#16 13 years ago

Mastermind was, and still is a supremely fun game. I used to play it on road trips in the back seat of my parent's car. Since we have segued from handhelds to other types of games, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite game of all time .... Dark Tower. Did anyone else play this? It was so unbelievably advanced at the time. My brother still has ours, and it still works perfectly.

Dark_Tower.jpgDark_Tower.jpg

#17 13 years ago

I remember the commercials for Dark Tower and thinking it was the greatest thing EVAR. But my dad was a cheap bastard and the most advanced game we ever got was Mousetrap.

#18 13 years ago

LOL, My parents still have mastermind in their closet with a bunch of other boardgames. I also remember my brother got black tower one year as a christmas present. I got this ...

pulsar.jpgpulsar.jpg

#19 13 years ago

I had the Coleco "Head-to-Head" Basketball! I still have it!

#20 13 years ago

Anyone remember this? I still have mine.

#21 13 years ago

I still have the following VERY old systems in storage:

Fairchild Channel F
    Magnavox Odyssey (Pong, Hockey, etc)
    Atari 2600
    Colecovision

and some other newer ones after those.

I also have every computer since the home built PET and Sinclair ZX-80.

I bet those of you in Europe remember the Fairchild system ... it wasn't very popular in the US.

#22 13 years ago

erak,

That Arcade Mania game looks awesome! I like to think that I am pretty well versed when it comes to games from that era, but I have never heard of that one.

#23 13 years ago

Brokedad, did you have an Amiga?

#24 13 years ago

Oh yes .. still have the Amiga, Atari 400,800, 520ST, 1040ST , etc etc etc

#25 13 years ago

OMG, Dark Tower now that brings the memories flooding back.

My mum still has this in a cupboard somewhere, I wonder if it still works?? Remember the final part of the game beating the BRIGANDS!!! and hagglin at the bazaar too much and the door would shut in your face, Bazaar closed!!!! HA HA

#26 13 years ago

@brokedad

holy crap! And an appleIIgs?

#27 13 years ago

Wow coleco is = Connecticut Leather Company

thanks- G , I learn something new on this site everday

#28 13 years ago

I pulled this out of my closet lat night. Still works. LOL And I still play my colecovision every now and then I have almost every game, still looking for a few I'm missing.

DK.jpgDK.jpg

#29 13 years ago

Amiga...remember the "We made the Amiga, they fucked it up" easter egg when Commodore took them over?
    I remember a bumper sticker: "Windows 95=Macintosh 84". Amiga already had full true-color video capability (Video Toaster was the bomb!) and speech (RACTER) as well as enough power to make real animation back then.

#30 13 years ago

I still have my Merlin and I also have a Blip. Anyone remember that? It was a Pong like game that you wound up. It had a motorized LED that went back and forth.

Mattel re-released their LED football game as Classic Football 2 a few years ago. I bought one at Target to mess around with it.

I also had a Simon like game which had more than four buttons but that is long gone. I also had Maniac by Ideal but I think it is gone too.

Of course I had an Atari 2600, although it was actually the Sears Telegames version. I wish I still had it because it was the Sears equivalent of an Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer.

Anyone remember Gnip Gnop?

#31 13 years ago

Gnip Gnop has actually been re-released, I saw it recently for sale at Toys R Us.
    Retro toys are back, They also re-released Smash up Derby.

derby.jpgderby.jpg

#32 13 years ago

If they are re-releasing old toys, I want my Evel Knievel (Snake) Canyon Sky Cycle!

#33 13 years ago

I remember BLIP - being a GenXer, we loved that stuff. I had a blue handheld that you had to guess the 3, 4 or 5 numbers. Anyone remember that one? I was a pro on it.

Yeah, we all thought the kids with the headtoheads were "it" - and I ended up with a mattel soccer...SOCCER! WTF. Well, at least I could solve my Rubik's cube in about 90 seconds...

And before these, we all loved the handheld plastic pachinko-style ball bearing games.

Friends had the Simon game (think Close Encounters keypad!).

Speaking of computers, remember hacking the 5 1/4 inch discs by cutting a notch on the other side and turning them into a double sided floppy? That and hacking "uncopyable" game discs for the Apple IIe and making them work...good times for sure. My fave game was Star Trek on a grid with *s, Ks, and shooting phasers. Think Battleship, one player style...

Can't believe we suffered through those trying times...

#34 13 years ago

Must of been a mad man who invented 'Simon' = mental cruelty

1 week later
    #35 13 years ago

I remember buying a 'notcher' to make the 5 1/4 discs double-sided. I unfortunately also remember buying a 50meg harddrive for about $500 for my Amiga.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-arcades-were-more-popular-back-then and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.