Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Amazing-Tail-Featured-Image_filtered-610x400 (resized).jpg
    dumb-and-dumber (resized).jpg
    E141124F-754B-47C1-836F-86816A369E7F (resized).jpeg
    BADE49C0-9AFB-4021-AF9B-87715A9951EA (resized).jpeg
    FE8B4ECC-6CFE-49E7-BF31-E432B3F5F9F9 (resized).jpeg
    20E81FF2-A9C3-4C3C-BB92-E1CCDB9163D6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20190527-182652_Reddit (resized).jpg
    Paper towels (resized).jpg
    B1A1L1L1Y (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190525_061747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1014 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.02.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.03.46 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1012 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1018 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Since I moved to the US 4 years ago, the time I spend doing groceries has probably tripled than when I was in France. I spend that time reading every single label, looking at prices and prices per unit and that is because packaging and false pseudo great deals has been brought to the rank of art out here.

My wife reads every label, there is so much poison in the food in the US. Its very difficult to avoid it anymore. Unfortunately everything in the US is a business with very little regard for the end user. For me it is too late, I grew up eating this crap but what we do now is for our kids (and the hope that I actually outlive my parents).

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Have you traveled to many other countries? Most don’t have anywhere near the choice and connivence of the US and are more expensive. Buyer beware is a universal motto.

You may be right, but what good are all those choices if 98% of them are poisonous?

#44 4 years ago

We made the decision to eat less if that means eating better. We are also lucky to be very close to farms and we support them whenever we can.

There are a lot of chemicals that are added to the food we eat here that are not allowed in other countries, sometimes even different ingredients in the same product made by the same manufacturer. Constantly getting caught off gaurd if you’re not careful. My kid wanted marshmallows today. Pulled them from the cabinet, looked at the ingredients, freakn blue 1....in a white marshmallow!

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinengineer77:

Let's look at a key contributing factor - most companies are publicly traded and their shareholders demand increased profits each year. Profits are increased by increasing sales or lowering costs. Raising prices often has the effect of lower sales - so lowering cost is often a focus. How do you lower costs? You either lower the quality or you lower the amount of product you supply for the same price. Or lower both.
    Before you get too mad at the shareholders you often have to look in the mirror. Most americans are shareholders somehow_ through pension funds, 401Ks or other investments.
    One side effect of all of this is that the quality of many new products is less than the products they are replacing. Glad to hear Stern is actually improving cabinet quality - wish more companies would see that their customers would be willing to pay a bit more for improved quality.

You are absolutely correct. Companies are slave to the share holders at this point. If you want to grow you need invertor confidence and that comes through showing profit.

3 weeks later
    #197 4 years ago

I am not sure what it looks like at your local Home Depot but here they are phasing out cashiers. I’d like to support local brick and mortar stores but if i am now scanning all my purchases, at that point I’d much rather just sit at home and order my stuff online. Whats next? Am i going to be stocking shelves?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-american-business-torques-me-off-?tu=pinstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.