Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Amazing-Tail-Featured-Image_filtered-610x400 (resized).jpg
    dumb-and-dumber (resized).jpg
    E141124F-754B-47C1-836F-86816A369E7F (resized).jpeg
    BADE49C0-9AFB-4021-AF9B-87715A9951EA (resized).jpeg
    FE8B4ECC-6CFE-49E7-BF31-E432B3F5F9F9 (resized).jpeg
    20E81FF2-A9C3-4C3C-BB92-E1CCDB9163D6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20190527-182652_Reddit (resized).jpg
    Paper towels (resized).jpg
    B1A1L1L1Y (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190525_061747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1014 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.02.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.03.46 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1012 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1018 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinengineer77.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 4 years ago

Let's look at a key contributing factor - most companies are publicly traded and their shareholders demand increased profits each year. Profits are increased by increasing sales or lowering costs. Raising prices often has the effect of lower sales - so lowering cost is often a focus. How do you lower costs? You either lower the quality or you lower the amount of product you supply for the same price. Or lower both.

Before you get too mad at the shareholders you often have to look in the mirror. Most americans are shareholders somehow_ through pension funds, 401Ks or other investments.

One side effect of all of this is that the quality of many new products is less than the products they are replacing. Glad to hear Stern is actually improving cabinet quality - wish more companies would see that their customers would be willing to pay a bit more for improved quality.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It’s almost like capitalism is a race to the bottom. Who can make the cheapest product that will still sell for profit.

In many (most??) industries, that is where we are today. With some product categories it is difficult or maybe even impossible to find replacement products whose quality rivals a product bought 20 years ago.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

“Most” Americans suggests, to me, a large majority of Americans. When in fact barely over 50% of Americans are in the stock market. That is pathetic for a world leader who prides itself on being the greatest country in the world (while shopping at bulk stores stocked with cheap Chinese goods). I read that a larger percentage of Americans - in the 60+% range - owned stock before the Great Depression. Almost 100 years ago!
    And of course, 97% of the real spoils of the world go to a tiny, microscopic fraction of the population that wouldn’t be caught dead talking pinball here. So, if it’s all the same to you, I’ll blame them.

Yes "most" is greater than 50% .

Do you have a pension? 13% of Americans are covered by some pension fund - and that pension fund is demanding higher profits from every company stock that fund holds.

Do you have a 401K? ~50% of Americans participate in a 401K plan - and the fund managers of those plans are also demanding higher profits from the company stock they hold.

Just pointing out that most of us regular / average Americans own at least a fraction of a share of a public company.

And then there are the rich 1.4% which hold much of the true wealth in this country, likely not the folks hanging out here with us .

My point is that the world financial system is built in a way that forces continual cost cutting and methods of increasing profit. Public companies don't have a choice - the only way they can increase return for investors is to increase sales (tough if you sell bleach - how do you get more people to buy your brand when it is a commodity), decrease cost (decrease the quality, lay people off to lower your overhead or decrease the amount you deliver for the same price).

Decreasing the amount is a double bonus for companies - it costs companies less to ship (and manufacture) a "gallon" with only 96 ounces of liquid and the consumer will actually buy more of it_ because that "gallon" will be empty sooner.

As a consumer I hate the reduced quality and quantity of products. I try to buy American whenever possible, but that is more challenging each year. And I don't enjoy the fear of being laid off at any time. I also agree that income inequality is an enormous problem in this country - just trying to bring more perspective into the "why" we are where we are...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinengineer77.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-american-business-torques-me-off-?tu=pinengineer77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.