Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Amazing-Tail-Featured-Image_filtered-610x400 (resized).jpg
    dumb-and-dumber (resized).jpg
    E141124F-754B-47C1-836F-86816A369E7F (resized).jpeg
    BADE49C0-9AFB-4021-AF9B-87715A9951EA (resized).jpeg
    FE8B4ECC-6CFE-49E7-BF31-E432B3F5F9F9 (resized).jpeg
    20E81FF2-A9C3-4C3C-BB92-E1CCDB9163D6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20190527-182652_Reddit (resized).jpg
    Paper towels (resized).jpg
    B1A1L1L1Y (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190525_061747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1014 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.02.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.03.46 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1012 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1018 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Just a cut and paste....Before 2008, 62% of Americans owned stock.
    Like income and wealth, stock ownership is heavily concentrated in the uppermost echelons of the economy. The bottom 60 percent of households combined own just 1.8 percent of American stock. The top 1 percent, by contrast, owns over 40 percent of the country's stock, up from 34 percent in 2001.Dec 18, 2017

I own stock via a 401k, and I'm broke as a joke. But I've also never, ever qualified for government assistance of any kind (unless you count a Homestead Exemption on property taxes as 'aid'). It's just that my job has decent benefits....other than the decreasing pay every year as they increase medical costs at a rate higher than my UNION NEGOTIATED pay 'raises'.

Face it...the entire country is corrupt. You can't even rely on a bloody union to even TRY to fight for you anymore....mine just rolled over and sent us out a contract to approve that says "Hey, we're keeping everything from the last contract, including the one time 1k bonus if it's signed, only this time it's for FOUR years instead of three, and still getting 2-3% pay raise every year even though we've not asked the company to cap off their medical costs at all so they can just claw back even that meagre amount of money." Months before the existing negotiated contract is even up.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds like you are paying dues for nothing. Are you all willing to risk voting for a strike?

Went several months without contract a few years ago. I'm personally willing to vote against this garbage and vote yes for a strike, and my work center has voted for authorizing strikes before.

*edit* Just so there's some laughable comparison points here because I don't want someone to go "Wow, a 3% raise is pretty good!" Sure...if you make 100k/year.. but I make less hourly than I can make DONATING PLASMA. Sure, I can't be bled dry for 40 hours a week, but if I could, I'd make more money doing that in take home pay. And that will still be the case after 4 years of stacking 3% raises. And you wouldn't believe the absurd breadth of things I need to know and understand to do my job effectively. It's changed massively in the 10 years I've been here, that's why our current pay is a joke. Even I would've said 5 years ago that my job was too easy for what I got paid, but not anymore. The amount of specialized skills that can't be trained for and information needed to know and retain has easily increased tenfold if not more since then, and pay has not kept up at all.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

if a married couple makes less than $50k, there are govt programs

Nope, try again or name specific examples. I couldn't even get any assistance at all when I was working at Chick-Fil-A married, making less than 9.00/hour with one kid.

Earned Income Credit on taxes. That's about it.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Wah wah, quit whining quit unions, get paid what you are worth

Not sure if trolling, just a moron, or you actually have some kind of legit point to make that requires explanation.

*edited a few times. Trying to not be a total a-hole and leave some room for discussion if there's an actual point other than calling me a whiner, as much as I doubt it.*

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

You went several months without a contact because you weren't happy with your pay, if you don't like your pay get another job. Get paid based on your worth, not some unions contact that dictates pay levels regardless of actual merit, plus you'd save giving the "leaders" big fat checks. Unions had a place before govt work reforms and regulations. Now they are just archaic syndicates that cause costs to skyrocket for no benefit.

In my position, working 'without a contract' means you're still working under the prior contract's rules and payscales....until the Union actually approves a strike, which has literally never happened in my bargaining group in the 10 years I've been here. Nobody was out of work, or at threat of being laid off by simple virtue of there not being a new agreement between the union and the company.

There are good reasons I've chosen to remain at this job, none of which, frankly, are any of your business. I will not validate my choices through some random anon. I've made the best choice I can for my situation and my family. My wife is working as well to help out, which I appreciate infinitely. Just because I can't escape my present situation in a fairy-tale like manner that you present (The one where I just throw out my resume and within a reasonable timeframe, have a higher paying job with better or identical benefits) doesn't mean that I cede my right to be unhappy with the people that are SUPPOSED to be on my side, yet never actually are. I can actually get out of my union, and pending the results of this contract, I may just do that, and then they can have their ever-shrinking group of people that barely do their job.....but I'll be damned if I'm just going to hand my life over to a CEO that makes *366 TIMES WHAT THE AVERAGE EMPLOYEE IN HIS COMPANY DOES* and say "Hey, I'm gonna leave the union and keep working for you, do you think you could find it in your heart to not f--k me over this year even though you've been doing that for the last 10 years WITH the union's help, kind sir?"

I'll at least agree with you that unions are corrupted institutions at this point, and it would take a massive change and far less risk-averse leadership than anyone is likely to see anytime soon, to make them what they should be. And by 'should be' I mean functional bargaining units that fight for the WHOLE GROUP, not a shill for workers that barely or flat out DON'T DO THEIR JOBS.

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

you know what those CEOs don't have with those contracts, unions. They know better.

Or...they don't need them because they're the ones making the rules. Duh. I wish I had just left my original post, seems I was correct....but not going to worry about that anymore. Byeeeeee!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-american-business-torques-me-off-?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.