Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Amazing-Tail-Featured-Image_filtered-610x400 (resized).jpg
    dumb-and-dumber (resized).jpg
    E141124F-754B-47C1-836F-86816A369E7F (resized).jpeg
    BADE49C0-9AFB-4021-AF9B-87715A9951EA (resized).jpeg
    FE8B4ECC-6CFE-49E7-BF31-E432B3F5F9F9 (resized).jpeg
    20E81FF2-A9C3-4C3C-BB92-E1CCDB9163D6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20190527-182652_Reddit (resized).jpg
    Paper towels (resized).jpg
    B1A1L1L1Y (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190525_061747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1014 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.02.00 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.03.46 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1012 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1018 (resized).JPG
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

I hate it when a company tries to make me for a fool. What follows is why I don't trust American business. I don't trust any businessman for as far as I can throw him. He has to prove himself.

Check out this bottle of bleach. Read the label. For $2.67 cents you get 3.78 quarts, or 121 oz, or 3.57 L. What you are not getting is one full U.S. Gallon. Got that burned in? Let's go to the next pic.

IMG_0911 (resized).JPGIMG_0911 (resized).JPG

Here is a whole shelf of the same bleach. Plus there is a different bottle on the shelf, too. Just to look at these two bottles of bleach sitting side by side you might think the bottles are the same size. I'll answer your question: They are not the same size. But they sure do look like the same size, don't they? Lets go to pic #3

IMG_0909 (resized).JPGIMG_0909 (resized).JPG

This pic with both bottle side by side shows that:

1) the blue label is concentrated and Whitens, Disinfects and Deodorizes.

2) the green label is a cleaning bleach that kills mole and mildew. It Cleans, Disinfects, and Deodorizes.

And they both kill 99.9% of common household germs.

But let's look at something else in pic #4

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.22.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.22.16 PM (resized).png

Check out the label. Both bottles are of the same 6.0% concentrate of Sodium Hypochlorite. SH is the active ingredient. It is the stuff that you smell. It is the stuff that will burn holes in your clothes. Other ingredients make up 94% of the product. This other product is water. You know. Water. The same stuff that comes from your kitchen faucet.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.28.53 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.28.53 PM (resized).png

Here is another pic of the green bottle. You should notice two things.

1) The price is only $1.77 per container.

2) The container is larger. The green label is a full US gallon. And for less money. But most people will not pay attention.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.37.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.37.10 PM (resized).png

This one is on Walmart since both bottles Great Value branded.

God bless America.

#3 4 years ago

Buy the no name version and get a watered down not as effective product. But you did save .90 cents! Save it for your next pin purchase.

#4 4 years ago

You have got a lot of time on your hands.

#5 4 years ago

Happens all over so I get it. It's just like at the gas station that claims your getting a full gallon of gas...., seen a story years ago about how the pumps were deliberately set to pump just under a gallon which adds up pretty quick. I seen a story one time about 55 gallon drums that weren't 55 gallon.....it's every where's that someone can pinch a penny. My local favorite place to eat sells a half order of cheese bread for say $3, but if you get a "whole" order its $6 but in reality all your really getting is 1 1/2 times a half order and not twice as much like they lead you to believe. Do I say anything about it or ask the question? HECK no, they might kick me out for good and that's no good!! Yeah it's every where's,.....which doesn't make it right but what can you do?

John

#6 4 years ago

It's the parking you have to look out for. That's where those sneaky US businesses really get you.

#7 4 years ago

Don’t buy either, shop somewhere other than Walmart.

#8 4 years ago

This happens so often I almost always compare things. When I buy benedryl I always check to see which is cheaper. The "sleep aid" version or actual benedryl. They're the exact same thing. I don't think i've seen the sleep aid cheaper though.

#9 4 years ago

It pays to pay attention. I have a septic system. No bleach for me.

#10 4 years ago

lawn (resized).jpglawn (resized).jpg
    #11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

seen a story years ago about how the pumps were deliberately set to pump just under a gallon which adds up pretty quick

You could be talking about Mary Hudson of Hudson Oil Company. When gas prices went wonky in the 1979-80 oil crisis, she started playing with the pumps and got caught. It put her out of business.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

You have got a lot of time on your hands.

I'm retired

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Buy the no name version and get a watered down not as effective product. But you did save .90 cents! Save it for your next pin purchase.

Both bottles contain the same percentages of ingredients. Nothing is watered down and I still save 90 cents. Plus I get more product for going "green".

#14 4 years ago

I buy my gallon of bleach from the 1.00 store, yep, its 1.00!

#15 4 years ago

Don’t measure 2 by 4s!!

#16 4 years ago

I appreciate your post.
    While the amount of $$$ is relatively negligible, products like cereal and coffee get to me with packaging size/content weight.

Now, I know the young ones, will make fun of me too. Im retired as well. No Pension,
    but Ive made a career of purchasing well, and its hard to give it up.

Ive started doing the groceries on a spreadsheet/database, and believe I will reach a bit more than $200 a month in savings!

Thats good enough to cover a pin a year!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Both bottles contain the same percentages of ingredients. Nothing is watered down and I still save 90 cents. Plus I get more product for going "green".

Sure they do...

#18 4 years ago

Not to sound shitty, but I recently had one roll of old TP and a new pack, something looked odd, the new stuff was about 1/2 narrower than the old, SAME BRAND!

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Not to sound shitty, but I recently had one roll of old TP and a new pack, something looked odd, the new stuff was about 1/2 narrower than the old, SAME BRAND!

Smaller TP tubes?

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Buying liquid bleach is like tossing money out the window. Learn to make your own and really save some money.

https://www.survivopedia.com/diy-bleach-at-home-2/

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Happens all over so I get it. Yeah it's every where's,.....which doesn't make it right but what can you do?
    John

A wood 2x4 does not measure 2"x4" either.

#22 4 years ago

The marketing companies in this country prey on the stupid and lazy.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

It's the parking you have to look out for. That's where those sneaky US businesses really get you.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #24 4 years ago

Since I moved to the US 4 years ago, the time I spend doing groceries has probably tripled than when I was in France. I spend that time reading every single label, looking at prices and prices per unit and that is because packaging and false pseudo great deals has been brought to the rank of art out here.

#26 4 years ago

Its all in the advertising and "belief".....I had a local store ask if I had a 2 Carat Sapphire yesterday for an engagement ring.
    When it came down to "budget" for quality, they decided on Lab Grown.

The Store owner had a couple stones shipped in from the largest company at $300, and $400,
    and I brought in a lot, I had cut at $10 a stone in South Korea Similar stuff, but not in a velvet box, with Paperwork, Gold seal, and serial number....

Still, the customer was OK with paying $800, because they "shopped"

Explain that market!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Since I moved to the US 4 years ago, the time I spend doing groceries has probably tripled than when I was in France. I spend that time reading every single label, looking at prices and prices per unit and that is because packaging and false pseudo great deals has been brought to the rank of art out here.

Yes, the French have it all figured out. Especially the legal system that still relies on Napoleonic code. I’m half French and it took 15 years to deal with a land claim that was worth over $1.5M to start and ended up at zero after legal fees. Talk about making an art out of nonsense.

#28 4 years ago

Wanna get really pissed? Check the volume on the $5 (or $8 or $10!) “pint” of beer you’re drinking next time you go out. If it has more than 14oz of beer in it I’ll be surprised. And that’s if it’s filled up to the rim. If not, you’re lucky if you get 12oz out of the damn thing.

And that, my friends, is why unfettered markets are dangerous. Think about what the MNCs are doing with the shit that really matters and adds up. Or is really dangerous...

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

My wife reads every label, there is so much poison in the food in the US. Its very difficult to avoid it anymore. Unfortunately everything in the US is a business with very little regard for the end user. For me it is too late, I grew up eating this crap but what we do now is for our kids (and the hope that I actually outlive my parents).

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

A wood 2x4 does not measure 2"x4" either.

1.5x3.5...unless you have a older home. If you read all the labels of your groceries you probably wouldn’t want to buy them.

#31 4 years ago

and after all the work......all the calculations......all the reading of fine print.....

.........it is there at the front of the shelf in the per unit price

#32 4 years ago

Have you traveled to many other countries? Most don’t have anywhere near the choice and connivence of the US and are more expensive. Buyer beware is a universal motto.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Not sure if you're serious, but a lot of generic food and household product sold in major US retailers is just relabeled brand name stuff coming off the same line.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Have you traveled to many other countries? Most don’t have anywhere near the choice and connivence of the US and are more expensive. Buyer beware is a universal motto.

You may be right, but what good are all those choices if 98% of them are poisonous?

#35 4 years ago

It's the shrinking of the product that really gets me. For example yogurt came in a 8oz cup for 50 cents each. One day the price jumps 10% to 55 cents but the contents shrink to 6oz. And that's just one of thousands.
    Big price increase!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frogman:

Yes, the French have it all figured out. Especially the legal system that still relies on Napoleonic code. I’m half French and it took 15 years to deal with a land claim that was worth over $1.5M to start and ended up at zero after legal fees. Talk about making an art out of nonsense.

I didn't say France has the perfect system, but when it comes to consumer rights to information and labelling, France is clearly way above the rest of the world.

#37 4 years ago

Filed under Old Man Yells At Cloud

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

and after all the work......all the calculations......all the reading of fine print.....
    .........it is there at the front of the shelf in the per unit price

yes!! it's even in 1/2 of the pictures. I love that Wal Mart does that - saves me tons of time. and they're pretty good about keeping units the same. some stores will switch from oz to lb or L to gal and it throws off everything.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I appreciate your post.
    While the amount of $$$ is relatively negligible, products like cereal and coffee get to me with packaging size/content weight.
    Now, I know the young ones, will make fun of me too. Im retired as well. No Pension,
    but Ive made a career of purchasing well, and its hard to give it up.
    Ive started doing the groceries on a spreadsheet/database, and believe I will reach a bit more than $200 a month in savings!
    Thats good enough to cover a pin a year!

If you want a challenge in comparison shopping hit the toilet paper isle.

Some big fluffy roll will have less paper than a tight roll. The dances the toilet papers do to keep you from figuring out how much you are getting for your dollar is almost comical.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

It's the shrinking of the product that really gets me. For example yogurt came in a 8oz cup for 50 cents each. One day the price jumps 10% to 55 cents but the contents shrink to 6oz. And that's just one of thousands.
    Big price increase!

Manufacturer cuts 20% of product but leaves price the same. That is a 30% price increase.

And the government tells me inflation is under control.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Manufacturer cuts 20% of product but leaves price the same. That is a 30% price increase.
    And the government tells me inflation is under control.

You need to check your math.

Maybe that’s the real issue here.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

You need to check your math.
    Maybe that’s the real issue here.

You are correct. It is only a 25% increase in price. Not 30% as I stated.

#43 4 years ago

Then dont buy american made. Buy your food imported from another country they used chemicals we banned in the 70s. That's the prob with america, everyone is looking g for cheaper, not better, not caring where it comes from. The tariffs are going to hurt us farmers, but I support completely. BUY AMERICAN

#44 4 years ago

We made the decision to eat less if that means eating better. We are also lucky to be very close to farms and we support them whenever we can.

There are a lot of chemicals that are added to the food we eat here that are not allowed in other countries, sometimes even different ingredients in the same product made by the same manufacturer. Constantly getting caught off gaurd if you’re not careful. My kid wanted marshmallows today. Pulled them from the cabinet, looked at the ingredients, freakn blue 1....in a white marshmallow!

#45 4 years ago

In Florida, the Governor wants citizens to be able to buy Canadian Drugs.
    Pharm companies are running ads about unsafe drugs from Foreign countries...China, Canada....
    News to me that 85% of the compounds used in US manufacture come from China!

#46 4 years ago

You can join the rest of us indignant consumers over here, ha...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/consumer-ripoff

OJ cartons are still shrinking, first from 64oz to 59oz, now they're 52oz, lol...

It's really dumb, instead of raising the price slightly, they'd rather reconfigure their manufacturing / packaging, which is certainly more costly. But I guess it must make economic sense or they wouldn't do it.

#47 4 years ago

You could also look at local farms for food. Sure you may have to buy a lot more than a weeks worth up front but it’s better for you and cheaper in the long run. I need to get a chest freezer, I would love to buy a half cow again. Best damn beef I ever had.

#48 4 years ago

Is this whole thread an analogy for Stern Cabinets? Pay more, get less...

#49 4 years ago

As others have said... this is a lesson in marketing.

Put “Concentrated” on the label... Take 7 ounces out (which makes the consumer believe it must be concentrated, even though it’s the same strength)... and then charge almost a dollar more for it. The genius who dreamed this up has made multiple millions in profit for Walmart for sure!!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

:Squinty eyes:

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-american-business-torques-me-off-?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.