Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3788.JPG
    if-you-ain-t-first-you-re-last-2.png
    DSCN3786.JPG
    DSCN3757.JPG
    #1 8 years ago

As some of you know, I picked up a nice Gottlieb Vulcan recenty (thanks again, John!). I mentioned elsewhere that my wife enjoys it, which is almost a first. (TOTAN is the only other pin she'll play.) The odd thing is that she is quite good at it, and I am simply dreadful. On every other pin we own (all SS), I could beat her easily 90% of the time, but I lose about as frequently on the Vulcan as I win on the others. That's got me scratching my head. Why is the result so different?

Not that I am unhappy that she's beating me. I could not have come up with a better strategy to get her interested in pinball if I'd tried. But I am curious what it is about the EM that makes her so much better and me so much worse. Any thoughts from those much more experienced at this than I am?

I definitely want to get another good EM--and perhaps more--since this has made such a difference. I never dreamed my wife would be asking me to play pinball, and multiple times at that. Quite a breakthrough.

#2 8 years ago

When you get to the point where you have and are playing EMs more than the modern machines, you will get better. Practice makes perfect!

And just like my daughter told me, when the scoring and goals are written on the playfield like most EMs, it is easier for her to understand. So she is better at them than DMDs that take time to understand.

#3 8 years ago

Is it a timing issue?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Is it a timing issue?

Not at all! I'm going to pick up another EM in half an hour.

#5 8 years ago

Timing....

Modern pinball machines have flippers and mechanisms that respond instantly. EMs are much slower so your timing is off. You are used to the flipper reacting at a certain speed and you are used to the ball moving at a certain speed. Change these things and you have to adjust.

The other thing that can affect you is the different flipper bat shape on older machines. I know that old classic Bally machines with the big rounded end flippers get me all the time!

#6 8 years ago

Your nudging skills are off. It kills me when operators put strict tilt allowances on EM's. They are supposed to be nudged more!

#7 8 years ago

Thanks. That makes sense. It's like trying to bat left-handed. I can do it, but at the loss of three-quarters of my ability.

I love the pin anyway. Just something special about an EM. For me, it's definitely nostalgic. This is how I remember pinball looking and sounding back when I was a kid and my older cousins took me to the bowling alley.

#8 8 years ago

Your not bad , EMs are difficult . That's why I love them .

#9 8 years ago

Your not bad, but lets face it, your wife just plays EM's better than you do, come to think of it, she probably plays better than I do as well.

Humm.......that's a bit worrisome.............................

Ken

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

my wife enjoys it, which is almost a first.

That's your answer right there.

#11 8 years ago

Because you just aren't that good!
    Real pinball players play real pinball from a bygone era one ball, that's all!
    In later DMD machines have you ever said how did I get that? this is tongue in cheek of course.

#12 8 years ago

the flippers are a little further apart

#13 8 years ago

She's used to working with small flippers...

Ya have to have one wife joke if a wife is mentioned in the post.
    Them's the rules

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Your nudging skills are off. It kills me when operators put strict tilt allowances on EM's. They are supposed to be nudged more!

I am on board with this statement. I am awful at nudging. I get away with on my solid state pins most of the time and most of the people I play with are novice anyway. However, I gave my dad an old Gottlieb Pioneer and he beats the crap out of me on it. He used to play EMs all the time back in his younger days and he is a nudging champ. I find myself going stdm more often than not.

#15 8 years ago

If you think you're bad with three inch flippers, get yourself a two inch flipper game.

That will really humble you.

#16 8 years ago

+1 about the nudging more with older machines, need to, and the feel for the nudging is different too. a friend commented I look like I'm trying to pound her from behind, theres some hip action force put into some hard nudging a machine weighing twice what I do. slam that baby and tilt it a few times to see what you can get away with then dont be shy after, you'll figure it out pretty quick when/where nudges avoid outlanes and SDTM's. I'm not pelvic pounding the coin door, my arms are near straight and shoving hard from the shoulders, right left or both, to impose some influence! its going to take some time to get a feel for any machine, for me it can start with cussing and name calling then graduate to "there ya go", "good baby", "lets do that again".. maybe my friends comment is right? sometimes it takes some effort to get her eyeballs (score reels) rolling up in their sockets and ringing some bells, win two credits, "nice knockers!" lol. watch your wife play, is she more aggressive with the biotch physically?

#17 8 years ago

I wouldn't say that she is more aggressive, but I definitely would say that the style that makes her a lousy SS player works brilliantly with this EM. My timing is totally off. I am constantly just winging the ball and then draining. Also, I keep trying to catch the ball and control it, and that seldom works. The flipper size and shape are slightly different, not to mention the speed. Anyway, it's an interesting challenge. When I first brought the pin home, my wife was reluctant to play it, saying that I would trounce her yet again. How wrong can you get? On her best game, her score was four times mine! I admit, it wounded my pride, but it was also fun. I am thinking I might need to sell one or two of my SS pins to make room for a couple more EMs. I am that delighted to have her interested.

#18 8 years ago

OK, anyone remember parsec??? atari's first tv game. Well, I could never get the hang of it, because when you moved the joystick, or fired, you had to go eat lunch and come back before the D@mn thing responded. It really sucked!
    I also cannot get the hang of the new pins, they are too fast.
    Now, lets line up on an EM pin, and that's where i kick butt! I can feel whats about to happen, and adjust for it.
    So, I think it is how we are wired. Some can move laterally, and adjust to just about anything, and the rest of us, well...
    We hit our niche and stay there. Happily, too, I might add.
    Beer, Ya'll!

#19 8 years ago

My experience has been that it's all pinball. And why some SS people feel there is a difference in an EM is hard to explain. I think it's all in their head.

I believe the concept that an EM is simpler which in turn levels the playing field for less experienced players is very observant.

I developed my pinball skills in the 70's on EM games. A drop catch is a drop catch and applies to any game, EM with 2" flippers, EM with 3", or SS with 3". A bounce pass is a bounce pass. etc....

To me the bounce/personality variants combined with rule simplicity of an EM playfield are a more manageable number of permutations, compared to those on a late model game, that is easier to capture making it easier to concentrate on flipper and play skills over figuring out and setting up the big point shots.

Once a good SS player figures out an EM game he/she will do well on it.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Once a good SS player figures out an EM game he/she will do well on it.

Obviously, I am not yet at that point!

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

If you think you're bad with three inch flippers, get yourself a two inch flipper game.
    That will really humble you.

Yeah, and get one with a little space between them. And a gobble hole or two.

// Error: Image 418330 not found //

#22 8 years ago

Gobble holes...who came up with that idea anyway???

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

A machine has to have its defense.

What's the difference if it's gobble holes or outlanes?

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

I'm trying to figure out who came up with the idea to get rid of them.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm trying to figure out who came up with the idea to get rid of them.

Ha! Yeah, really.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

A machine has to have its defense.
    What's the difference if it's gobble holes or outlanes?

The idea of intentionally sacrificing a ball to a gobble hole, even to earn big scores or specials, goes against every fiber of my being, my every pinball instinct to keep the ball in play at all cost.

#27 8 years ago

Well, I understand where you're coming from but that mindset won't serve you well on this era game. In my experience ball times are extremely short on the gobble hole games I've played. If you have an opportunity to cash in on it's exit you take it.

#28 8 years ago

Or to put it another way, be thankful the gobble hole is lit for special or big points when the ball drops in there. Same thing goes on any outlane.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

The idea of intentionally sacrificing a ball to a gobble hole, even to earn big scores or specials, goes against every fiber of my being, my every pinball instinct to keep the ball in play at all cost.

One of my favorite things to do on a game... is nudge or shake the machine to make saves and keep the ball alive.

So what you are saying isn't lost to me, I try to avoid gobble holes myself most of the time. Even when they are worth a game, to me this is the same as an outlane special... better than draining without nothing but still a drain.

But now when gobble holes are worth multiple games, then I am hoping to get in to collect. I think the gobble hole can be worth up to 8 replays on Ace High for instance. So yes, absolutely 'am' trying to get in there!

#30 8 years ago

Even the best players can suck some times. I consider myself pretty good and win my share of matches. But my first four balls on this game were so bad last night, the machine decided I didn't deserve a fifth ball and skipped right over it. Thought I had that fixed.

DSCN3786.JPGDSCN3786.JPG

#31 8 years ago

If you don't get the top kickout hole you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

#32 8 years ago

I didn't even get the gobble holes on that one. It was ding ding SDTM four times in a row from what I remember. Bob wins again! But today is another day.

#33 8 years ago

BTW, I am getting a lot better and am starting to win. Actually, I don't want to win too consistently, as I am afraid my wife will lose some of her newfound enthusiasm! I haven't touched any of the SS pins in the meantime. It will be interesting to see what it's like when I do. Kind of like going from a grass to a clay tennis court, I suppose.

#34 8 years ago

Bad EM player? Ha, join the club bubby

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I haven't touched any of the SS pins in the meantime.

It's starting....

#36 8 years ago

if-you-ain-t-first-you-re-last-2.pngif-you-ain-t-first-you-re-last-2.png

Quoted from o-din:

Even the best players can suck some times. I consider myself pretty good and win my share of matches. But my first four balls on this game were so bad last night, the machine decided I didn't deserve a fifth ball and skipped right over it. Thought I had that fixed.

Remember what Ricky Bobby says;

.............................................Especially on a 2 Player game....................................................

Ken

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The machine decided I didn't deserve a fifth ball and skipped right over it. Thought I had that fixed.
    DSCN3786.JPG

Doh.

#38 8 years ago

She is a fickle beast. I may have to re-work the ball count unit one more time. It is the first time it happened in several days. It was one of the early multiplayer games wasn't it?

#39 8 years ago

I know it wasn't the first Williams multi-player but it was fairly early on.

#40 8 years ago

It is a multiplayer I am very happy to have no matter how it acts up. I've got the ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

#41 8 years ago

Nope, no skips tonight.

DSCN3788.JPGDSCN3788.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-am-i-such-a-bad-em-player and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.