Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Kaytrox
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zipadoo_backglass.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kaytrox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

This is an issue that that has perplexed me since I was a teenager. When there is a certain machine that I can consistently beat on score and light up the Specials and score them as well, as confusing as it is to the pin heads, I use the expression that I 'own' the machine.

I 'own' these Williams machines... Spacelab, Cyclone

I also 'own' these Bally machines... Eight Ball (Deluxe), Lost World... end of list

Then we come to Gottlieb... I 'own' Far Out, Fire Queen, Pro-Pool, Astro, Dimension, Strange World, Atlantis, Close Encounters, TKO, Neptune, Joker Poker, Ship Ahoy, Capt Card, Mini-Pool, Big Brave, Pop-A-Card, Flip-A-Card, Centigrade 37, and a few others, not to mention the ones that I am currently working on.

These percentages just don't add up, unless Gottlieb did actually make 7 - 10 times more machines than Bally and Williams did. The part that doesn't make sense to me, is my lack of ability to conquer the Bally. The EM Williams machines play a little to fast for my style of play, so I understand that. But I actually find the Bally machines to be smoother, and thereby they should be easier to beat. They don't have out of line scoring, and their Specials don't involve any more difficulty then the Gottlieb. as a matter of fact, I find Gottlieb to be a lot more unforgiving when shots are missed.

WOW! Might have just answered my own question there, after all these years. Perhaps I just don't focus as well on a Bally table because I don't respect it's ability to punish me. Any other input?

#3 11 years ago

It's funny you would mention video games, because I, myself, helped kill the pin industry back in the 80's. When you're pumping quarters into machines, and you don't have a lot of cash, you look at it from a financial standpoint. Probably never happened in a 5 ball game, but I can remember more than one 3 ball game, where I never put a flipper on a ball! That's pretty quick to blow through a quarter.

So videos WERE fun, and entertaining, and I used to justify my moving away from the pins by saying 'At least the videos give you a fair shake for your quarter.' Even though I would NEVER say the same for a pin, now that I'm older, I really regret that attitude, because good pins have become so hard to find.

#5 11 years ago

WOW! I guess we think the same way! I always thought that pins were strategically sanded down so that the ball would roll towards the center, and toward the drain lane on the side outs. I actually believed this until the tech at the Silverball Museum, told me that it just isn't so. But I'm going to start bringing a ruler with me when I play, and when he has the top glass of a machine, I want to run my straight edge over the table, because I won't believe it till I see it!

You'll often hear me muttering at the machine, 'You cheating ****** ****** !'

2 weeks later
    #12 11 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Damn nice EM line up! You wanna sell me your Fire Queen?! (just kidding, sort of) I love Gottlieb, I've played other brands, but you shouldn't discount game features/play. There's a reason they were tops in the 70's. Drop target banks, rule sets and of course- artwork. Don't want to start a heated debate, but those things work for me. Williams 'pointy people' is an acquired taste as were up posts, zipper flippers, and mushroom bumpers. Just sayin'.........

Actually, I don't own any machines. I 'lease' my gameroom at the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ. I get there 2-3 times a week, sometimes even more often, for at least 4 hours each visit. That way I don't get electrocuted, dirty, or spend any money on maintenance, and have an incredible selection of games to choose from.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Damn nice EM line up! You wanna sell me your Fire Queen?! (just kidding, sort of) I love Gottlieb, I've played other brands, but you shouldn't discount game features/play. There's a reason they were tops in the 70's. Drop target banks, rule sets and of course- artwork. Don't want to start a heated debate, but those things work for me. Williams 'pointy people' is an acquired taste as were up posts, zipper flippers, and mushroom bumpers. Just sayin'.........

OK... I understand up posts, zipper flippers, and mushroom bumpers... but what on earth do you guys mean by 'pointy people'?

#16 11 years ago

OK... cool! I don't pay much attention to the artwork, and had never realized that common theme in Williams machines

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kaytrox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-am-i-so-one-branded?tu=Kaytrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.