micdrop.gif
es_ (resized).jpg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
3289DBF8-F33F-4E8F-A334-CFCE5AAD6EEE (resized).jpeg
4F7DCE58-717F-4D6D-A9CD-6C89EB904CEA (resized).jpeg
35AEBB05-CFFF-4BA8-82B9-C8714FE16F18 (resized).jpeg
655F92F9-94E4-44F9-AA7D-32D6E5854CA7 (resized).jpeg
BA170911-9D61-4617-9CE7-F2C06712D370 (resized).jpeg

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 4 months ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Why are all the Led Zeppelin LE's FS Now? The same reason all the Guns and Roses SE's are for sale now.

I swapped my GNR SE for a solid trade after playing the hell out of it for six months. My Zep is going nowhere. What's the correlation, spill it!

#152 4 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I think the Pros for both JP and TMNT play smoother and I much prefer them to the Prem/LE. DP doesn't need a mechanical TREX to eat the ball to be great. I don't need a mech in a game just to have one, if it fits the theme and is reliable sure. The castle in MM was amazing the first dozen times I saw it but I don't own it anymore because of the repetitive gameplay.
Mechanical toys exist for the most part because pinball was original made for an arcade and it was a novelty game to earn quarters. I'm just playing the game in my house and if I'm playing JP for an hour I don't need to see the Trex move every time.
Pinball has changed in the last 30+ years and it's not being played in arcades. The good news is that there is something for everyone and people can play or own whatever they like.

I think the "toy obsession" springs forth from the misbegotten belief/hope that your uninterested wife, kids, and friends will be so impressed by a blimp sliding 4 inches or a doll moving its arm that they will have no choice but to admit that your weird little hobby is somehow amazing and cool.

In reality, it's not going to do much to wow them or change their minds. As we see with EVERY new release, pinball is still just pinball, and you either like it or you don't. Some cheap gimmick isn't gonna change that.

#153 4 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

As I recall, JP was pretty widely loved upon release. The only thing people could find to pick on was the lack of movie assets.

Thats another one I didnt care for... too woodchoppy.

I like that he tries new stuff and his designs are unique but I havent found his stuff to be much "fun" as of yet.

#154 4 months ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Thats another one I didnt care for... too woodchoppy.
I like that he tries new stuff and his designs are unique but I havent found his stuff to be much "fun" as of yet.

One of the hardest tricks these days is to make a mode more interesting than "shoot the flashing lights," like say, on the GOTG I just got. Every mode feels pretty much the same and they are all chores you have to perform if you want to get to Cherry Bomb.

Elwin's games - especially Maiden - seem to do a great job of fun, unique, interesting modes that all have their own character.

#155 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol. You do realize all time great pins such as MM, AF, TZ, and Monster Bash (take a look at yours) are loaded with interactive mechs? Take the mechs out of those games and they wouldn't be nearly as well regarded as they are.
Why even have the interactive dinosaur in JP premium / LE if people don't want interactive mechs? Why not remove the ball lock van and glider in TMNT for the same reason. Moving crane in Batman 66? Toss it, who would want that. Ramps and orbits only for $7k - $10k+ is where it's at.
Oh no, CrazyLevi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's not 1984 anymore...Prices and expectations have changed 30+ years later.

Have you played a premium Zeppelin? Seriously trounces most modern sterns in terms of gameplay, skill and fun.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the "toy obsession" springs forth from the idea that your wife, kids, and friends will be so impressed by a blimp sliding 4 inches or a doll moving its arm that they will have no choice but to admit that your weird little hobby is somehow amazing and cool.
In reality, it's not going to much to impress them. As we see with EVERY new release, pinball is still just pinball, and you either like it or you don't. Some cheap gimmick isn't gonna change that.

Maybe it's the only way they can justify it to themselves is if it had more moving parts?..

I was waiting for right theme and the right gameplay for years when Zeppelin (actually) finally came along! Played a pro and was impressed with how smooth it flowed but could barely hear the audio and wanted to try the premium with EM spinner. Weeks went by and I couldn't find a premium local and pulled the trigger one. Happy to have started my collection with this game NIB because it's never leaving.

Just waiting on the next game with great game gameplay and killer audio to come along. If the mechanics and toys add to gameplay (ie. MM castle, stranger things demogorg, Magic spinner Etc.) Then awesome, but to shit on a game because Yoda's hands don't move around (which would be cheesy AF) or the Zeppelin doesn't move when you're discounting everything else that makes game great just comes off weird.

Could they have made the Zeppelin move? Sure. They could have had another little stage come up from the back and have live mini animatronic characters playing a show in the back too. Ohhh Maybe mini fog machine?!...

Again at some point they decide on what makes the game and build around that and in this case it's the EM spinner and it is the whole game. Could they have made more things move around?.. sure. I suppose.

#156 4 months ago

I’m not big on “toys”, but LZ is the first Prem/LE in a long time that uses virtual locks, instead of physically locking balls. That worked out well for TWD, so maybe it’s not as important as I think it is. It just seems strange to have that big empty blimp that doesn’t lock balls.

#157 4 months ago

Of all the wacky talks on pinside, the physical vs virtual ball lock has always been the weirdest. I mean other than people thst have to mod a game from making a popping noise when it turns on.
3. "I dont like widebody machines.
4. "OMG my Sterns fan is so loud!"

#158 4 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m not big on “toys”, but LZ is the first Prem/LE in a long time that uses virtual locks, instead of physically locking balls. That worked out well for TWD, so maybe it’s not as important as I think it is. It just seems strange to have that big empty blimp that doesn’t lock balls.

Definitely looks like it was initially designed to but then again the "speed lock" idea would mesh with gameplay more and having it lock would definitely slow things down..

I wonder if that was a Steve Ritchie (master of flow) call or a Stern accounting Dept.call

#159 4 months ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I swapped my GNR SE for a solid trade after playing the hell out of it for six months. My Zep is going nowhere. What's the correlation, spill it!

People buy new games, play the hell out of them, then sell them to buy the next shiney!

I am however of the opinion that the GNR SEs are going to drop further in price than most new pins.

#160 4 months ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I am however of the opinion that the GNR SEs are going to drop further in price than most new pins.

Not for the folks that got it when it was still a sub 7k game

The SE and the LE both suffer from the same issue the hobbit did: grind though the same 4 tasks to get a fun thing going. Fun things being the songs for GNR, and mini-wizards in the Hobbit. Just way too much time is spent qualifying them and in the case of GNR, pushing the action button scrolling though like 100 patches and doing the same 4 mini multi balls over and over again gets tiring.

#161 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's not 1984 anymore...Prices and expectations have changed 30+ years later.

Whose expectations? It seems like people who truly enjoy pinball really just want a fun playing game first and foremost, but I guess only pins loaded with toys that break and drive up costs are the only ones that matter.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you think you would be trying to sell a Monster Bash for $15k if it didn't have the Frankenstein, Dracula, and other mechs in the game? Hell no. Take those mechs out of the game and it wouldn't be the highly regarded pin it is today.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't cost as much, but there would still be folks to enjoy and play it... because it is still a pinball machine and that's good enough for me.

#162 4 months ago

Right now there are 3 Avengers LE, 3 TMNT LE, 5 LZ LE, 10 GNR LEs, and 15 Mando LEs for sale on Pinside. All those that have a price listed are asking above original MSRP. Apparently "all the Led Zeppelin LEs" is 1% of those that exist. I question the entire premise of this thread.

#163 4 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Right now there are 3 Avengers LE, 3 TMNT LE, 5 LZ LE, and 15 Mando LEs for sale on Pinside. Al that have a price listed are asking above MSRP. Apparently "all the Led Zeppelin LEs" is 1% of those that exist. I question the entire premise of this thread.

The amount of Mando LEs is ridiculous. Hopefully they are stuck with them for a while. Played a pro and really loved it, but would never pay what they are asking for an LE.

#164 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Of all the wacky talks on pinside, the physical vs virtual ball lock has always been the weirdest. I mean other than people thst have to mod a game from making a popping noise when it turns on.
3. "I dont like widebody machines.
4. "OMG my Sterns fan is so loud!"

Physical ball locks just mean more switches that can break, more potential confusion and weirdness in multiplayer games, etc. THey do have their charms for sure but I don't particularly prefer one over the other. THey are kind of "of their era," Firepower or High Speed wouldn't be the same without their physical ball locks but I don't really need it on a modern machine.

#165 4 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It does have a physical ball lock- The electric magic mech is more than just a crazy cool optical spinner- it also has the ability to lock a ball.

#166 4 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Right now there are 3 Avengers LE, 3 TMNT LE, 5 LZ LE, and 15 Mando LEs for sale on Pinside. Al that have a price listed are asking above MSRP. Apparently "all the Led Zeppelin LEs" is 1% of those that exist. I question the entire premise of this thread.

The thread starter will once again say, I saw the Zepp LE's pop up in number, in a 2 or 3 day span. What is the premise of Twitter? What is the premise of Facebook? I am not a member of either of those platforms.

#167 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The arbitrary rule that "toys" need to "interact with the ball" or do other cheap dog and pony show tricks is a complete noob fabrication that you only started hearing about a few years ago

The 90’s would like to have a word with you.

#168 4 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

The thread starter will once again say, I saw the Zepp LE's pop up in number, in a 2 or 3 day span. What is the premise of Twitter? What is the premise of Facebook? I am not a member of either of those platforms.

Drop a bunch of pennies. Some will come up heads. Some will come up tails. And there will be areas where there are bunches of them all together. It's just the law of probability. But again, the real question here is: Who the fuck cares?

#169 4 months ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

It does have a physical ball lock- The electric magic mech is more than just a crazy cool optical spinner- it also has the ability to lock a ball.

A. Ball.

#170 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Physical ball locks just mean more switches that can break, more potential confusion and weirdness in multiplayer games, etc. THey do have their charms for sure but I don't particularly prefer one over the other. THey are kind of "of their era," Firepower or High Speed wouldn't be the same without their physical ball locks but I don't really need it on a modern machine.

But Levi, can you imagine Aerosmith without a physical ball lock? It’s wouldn’t be half as fun without the balls hopping into the box.

#171 4 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But Levi, can you imagine Aerosmith without a physical ball lock? It’s wouldn’t be half as fun without the balls hopping into the box.

That's true!

It wouldn't add much for LZ though in my opinion.

I mean beyond Panzer's fantasy of the blimp carrying balls all over the playfield - and in fact, rising out of the game and flying around your living room - and then literally exploding into flames every time you start a multiball.

Man that would be cool. If only JJP had made Zep...

#172 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean beyond Panzer's fantasy of the blimp carrying balls all over the playfield and then literally exploding into flames every time you start a multiball.

F*ck yeah. I’m not buying LZ until someone makes this mod.

You think Stern might promote you to chief mech engineer?

#173 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the "toy obsession" springs forth from the misbegotten belief/hope that your uninterested wife, kids, and friends will be so impressed by a blimp sliding 4 inches or a doll moving its arm that they will have no choice but to admit that your weird little hobby is somehow amazing and cool.
In reality, it's not going to do much to wow them or change their minds. As we see with EVERY new release, pinball is still just pinball, and you either like it or you don't. Some cheap gimmick isn't gonna change that.

In 1984 Space Shuttle was released and it had nothing on it...whoa.

Bill-Ted-Keanue-Reeves (resized).jpg

#174 4 months ago

Honestly, I’d have been all-in on LZ Premium if I hadn’t just picked up Stranger Things and TWD. It’s a beautiful game and it’s probably going to become a classic. You can keep the LE art, though.

#175 4 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You can keep the LE art, though.

I will, thanks! I think it's the best looking of the three.

#176 4 months ago

Have we beat this horse to death yet? Let's move on

#177 4 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

As long as there remain Led Zeppelin LEs for sale on the market, it's an issue that needs to be explored!

#178 4 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Nope. Any day now, the OP will chime in again with, "But but but...look at all of them for sale!!!"

One day, Levi will add this to his illustration when the next person posts the same thread for another game.

#179 4 months ago

#180 4 months ago

I'm speechless

#181 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One of the hardest tricks these days is to make a mode more interesting than "shoot the flashing lights," like say, on the GOTG I just got. Every mode feels pretty much the same and they are all chores you have to perform if you want to get to Cherry Bomb.
Elwin's games - especially Maiden - seem to do a great job of fun, unique, interesting modes that all have their own character.

The jjGnR wizard mode, especially, deserves props in this area. Like no wizard mode before it.

#182 4 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But Levi, can you imagine Aerosmith without a physical ball lock?

It's called Kiss

Quoted from swampfire:

It’s wouldn’t be half as fun without the balls hopping into the box.

Its a better trick, but I'll pass on both

#183 4 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nope. Any day now, the OP will chime in again with, "But but but...look at all of them for sale!!!"
One day, Levi will add this to his illustration when the next person posts the same thread for another game.

I never fanned the flames, I just clarified, what I was thinking when I created the post. I would have ended the thread if I could.

#184 4 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

I never fanned the flames, I just clarified, what I was thinking when I created the post. I would have ended the thread if I could.

Ya, I dont think you were tryin to cause issues. Its a great game, people are finding that out now. Maybe the best music for pinball yet, but rush will challenge I think! Zepp music and pinball just belong together!!

#185 4 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Don’t feel bad. Every thread takes on a life of its own. If we’re still here it’s because we don’t have a life. Haha.

#186 4 months ago

This thread makes me want a LZLE.

#187 4 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You will not regret!!

#188 4 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

For shame. You've been here long enough to know that as soon as the angry mob started shouting that the game sucks, that was your cue to get one as quickly as possible.

#189 4 months ago

Not every band game needs MET-level toys to be great. The big Led Zep complaint is there's really nothing in the game that screams Zeppelin. The matchbox blimp? Not the spinner. Not the callouts. Zep could be reskinned easily into anything else.

Aerosmith - Toy Box / Kiss - Demon Head / AC/DC - Bell, Train, Canon / MET - Sparky, Hammer, Gravemarker, Snake

Oddly enough Maiden still screams Maiden even though it doesn't have a big band theme feature like the above, but it's the best band pin. Oh well, there goes my argument.

I still with LZ had more "Zeppelin" in it. Look back at the "Zeppelin is coming" thread. There's a lot of cool ideas.

#190 4 months ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Not every band game needs MET-level toys to be great. The big Led Zep complaint is there's really nothing in the game that screams Zeppelin. The matchbox blimp? Not the spinner. Zep could be reskinned easily into anything else.
Aerosmith - Toy Box / Kiss - Demon Head / AC/DC - Bell, Train, Canon / MET - Sparky, Hammer, Gravemarker, Snake
Oddly enough Maiden still screams Maiden even though it doesn't have a big band theme feature like the above, but it's the best band pin.

You're welcome to stop by and play my LZ. It might change your mind. That jumping Icarus couldn't possibly be reskinned into anything else.

#191 4 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're welcome to stop by and play my LZ. It might change your mind. That jumping Icarus couldn't possibly be reskinned into anything else.

Oh I forgot about the Cirque de Soleil guy!

I'd love to play it. My cousin (huge Zep fan, sings Zep in bands) was disappointed I didn't pick one up.

#192 4 months ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Oh I forgot about the Cirque de Soleil guy!
I'd love to play it. My cousin (huge Zep fan, sings Zep in bands) was disappointed I didn't pick one up.

Bring him along. I hear from my buddy you're good people.

#193 4 months ago

Nothing really screams Zep to me for iconography other than the band members and Plant's tight jeans. Did they have a blimp flying around at concerts or something? Nothing really jumps out at me. Album covers are sort of non descriptive as well.

#194 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nothing really screams Zep to me for iconography other than the band members and Plant's tight jeans. Did they have a blimp flying around at concerts or something? Nothing really jumps out at me. Album covers are sort of non descriptive as well.

There was a blimp in those jeans. Yowza!!!

#195 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There was a blimp in those jeans. Yowza!!!

Meh...I was never impressed

#196 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Meh...I was never impressed

Are you trying to say it's all bag and no pipe?!

plant (resized).jpg
#197 4 months ago

I thought that was a fish something ?

Sorry I'm only in it for the music, not the lore

#198 4 months ago

I'm gonna cock block, the direction, that the tread is taking now.

#199 4 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

I'm gonna cock block, the direction, that the tread is taking now.

If you truly love a thread you must set it free, and let it blossom into where nature takes it.

And it’s currently taken it into a discussion into the mud shark camping out in plant’s size 28s.

You should be proud!

#200 4 months ago
tumblr_oejdv2kA9H1re6c9lo4_540.gif
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside