3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Travish
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do you feel how you do about the term "Man Cave"?”

• Hate it, promotes the idea that all men are like cavemen 9 votes
      2%
    • Hate it, my entire dwelling is mine, no woman orders me around, that kind of thing 26 votes
      7%
    • Hate it, the idea that cavemen have all this high tech is ludicrous 3 votes
      1%
    • Hate it, a caveman is a stereotypical, innaccurate archetype and is thus frowned upon 10 votes
      3%
    • Hate it, it's just not funny, too corny, trite 155 votes
      39%
    • Indifferent or even like it - Hey, people need to lighten up and stop judging 197 votes
      49%

(400 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

zz_top_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    8b9b163ce162150d330820d39304a24d4a9d9bfe_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    3f6202a4ee404eb8f8bf77f61e1eff9f7df98010_(resized).jpg
    game_room.jpg
    hanes_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160505_222952_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    geico-cavemen-restaurant_(resized).jpg
    fXnUE1m_(resized).jpg

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

Gentlemen have den's.

#52 3 years ago

hanes_(resized).jpg

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

mustard up the chonies to ...

Now here's a phrase I could get behind! And unlike "man cave" there's not yet a "Mustard up the Chonies" series on HGTV.

#54 3 years ago

Game Room!

#55 3 years ago

Makes me think of sticky Playboy magazines, cigarette burns on the carpet, and pervy, weird jokes. Sorta cute if it's just something a room becomes, but people who live in McMansions and have rooms professionally outfitted as Man Caves® give me the ultracreeps. They've sort of come to represent that hard line between masculinity and femininity that can be harmful - this is Man Thing, No Woman Thing Here, Woman Thing Icky.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I have always hated the word. It just sounds so....ugh. It makes it sound like we were sequestered to one and only one area of the house - like we can't be ourselves anywhere else. That or maybe I should start carving hieroglyphics on my wall and go "UGGG UGG...ZUG, mug doag fire, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERF!"
    Should we start calling the kitchen the "woman's place" ? I doubt it would go over very well.

I agree it promotes the idea that the whole home is a showplace for "traditional" family living. The man is graciously given 150 square feet to be himself, have a place to hang with friends, watch sports, play pinball arcade games, etc. It is BS.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

The term 'man cave' is equivalent to someone calling you a 'pinball wizard' when they find out you own pinball machines. It's cliche and overused.
    My wife had bought me a 'man cave' sign for my game room (which is filled with all sorts of signs) for Xmas a few years ago. Took me about 9 mos to mustard up the chonies to tell her I hated that term (and sign). I didn't mind so much though cause she means well and cares a lot of my little boy toy entertainment.

Too funny! I got one too. I said thank you and threw it behind the dryer in the garage. Its still back there in its original shrink wrap, probably covered in dryer fuzz and spiders.

#58 3 years ago

I agree, the term Man Cave definitely seems a bit dated and not very inviting to the women who play.

My game room in the basement isn't that big, kind of just a hole in the ground. Plus, it's not just pinball, there's a lot of sports memorabilia and photos from some of my favorite teams past moments of triumph and glory. So, I usually just call it my Glory Hole. It gives the space a much more gender neutral feeling, a place where both men and women can come and enjoy some good times.

#59 3 years ago

A game room.

game_room.jpg

#60 3 years ago

Hate it. The term goes hand in hand with overpriced game ads. FS: PAC MAN PLAYS 60 CLASSICS MUST HAVE FOR YOUR MAN CAVE ONLY $2500

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:The term 'man cave' is equivalent to someone calling you a 'pinball wizard' when they find out you own pinball machines. It's cliche and overused.

I used to be a very competitive table tennis player and would go to a lot of tournaments back in the 90's and early 2000's. Without fail, virtually every friend or acquaintance would call me "Forrest Gump" whenever the subject was brought up. And while I liked that movie overall, those scenes were actually my least favorite parts because I could easily tell how fake they were. It was like the velocity and behavior of the ball had no relation to the strokes that were being made. But to the layman I guess it looked a lot more convincing.

#62 3 years ago

I still enjoy the usage of "man cave", though I have changed mine to Tiki Arcade. Now granted I only have 2 pins and 1 cocktail arcade, so its not like a huge arcade! But I do love Tiki's and my game room, man cave, den, ect.....
    But for all use pinheads out there, Its yours call it what you want. I don't care either way, just invite me to come play some pinball!!!!

#63 3 years ago

I don't mind the term "Man Cave", but it does feel a little cliche at this point.

#64 3 years ago

I prefer The Gameroom!

#65 3 years ago

Used to be called "The Den".

I hate the term "Man Cave".

#66 3 years ago

I take no offence to the term, but it doesn't describe what my pin room means to me at all. To me, when somebody says, "Man Cave", I picture a large flat screen TV, some neon beer signs, and a bar fridge... Maybe a poker table?! It just doesn't represent what my pin room is. I like to think of it as a welcoming, vibrant place that is fun for men, women and kids alike.

So, I call it my Arcade, or my PinRoom, or... My Holy Place!

#67 3 years ago

I don't care for the term, but I'm not bothered by it either whatsoever. It is what it is. To be honest, I don't have a name for the room I keep my pins and arcade machines in. If somebody calls it a Man Cave, Ar-Cave, Arcade, or Game Room, it's on them. There are bigger things in life than coming up with a name for that room.

#68 3 years ago

I hate it because of the idea that a man only gets 1 room in the house.

Then I started realizing that what I would call that room was a 'den'.... which is basically the same thing as a cave.

#69 3 years ago

It's a stupid thing to call your game room if you want women around. My woman likes to play games. She likes to drink a few when she plays games. I like it when she drinks a few because she tends to get a bit frisky. Why would I exclude her by calling it a "man cave". Seems a bit latently homo erotic to me. If you need a place to escape your woman to have "solo fun", you need to get yourself a different woman. I suppose you are free to have whatever sausage party you want in your man cave, but I for one will be partying WITH the women in the game room.

#70 3 years ago

"Man cave" in an ad signifies that the game is way overpriced. So it does have a purpose, just like those ads where they photoshop out the background.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

It's a stupid thing to call your game room if you want women around. My woman likes to play games. She likes to drink a few when she plays games. I like it when she drinks a few because she tends to get a bit frisky. Why would I exclude her by calling it a "man cave". Seems a bit latently homo erotic to me. If you need a place to escape your woman to have "solo fun", you need to get yourself a different woman. I suppose you are free to have whatever sausage party you want in your man cave, but I for one will be partying WITH the women in the game room.

Pinball glass can support a woman laying down. Amirite?

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Pinball glass can support a woman laying down. Amirite?

Haha! In a game room it can! In a man cave...not so much.

#73 3 years ago

Mancave reminds me of guys wearing penny loafers and khakis while riding their Harley.

#74 3 years ago

I don't personally use it, but dont mind when others do. I've had lots of compliments on my "mancave" from others, just because they dont really know what else to call it. But it's really for everyone. Sh*t, my wife bought me an outdoor rug to my garage/acade that said Mancave. Didn't bother me one bit. Don't sweat the small stuff...

#75 3 years ago

AMEN!! Preach it brother!! Could NOT have said it better myself!! More drunk women need to play pinball with me!!

#76 3 years ago

Why are polls always so biased where is the

#77 3 years ago

Life is too short to hate the words "Man Cave"

GTFOH drama queens...

Call it a man cave, game room, arcade, theater, rec room I don't give a F it's all about having a great space to share w/friends & family.

#78 3 years ago

Why would I exclude her by calling it a "man cave".

Hence Tiki Arcade chicks did Tiki Bars!! LOL

#79 3 years ago

This poll reminds me of a poorly written exam question.

Answers:

A.) Hate, because of blah blah blah...
    B.) Hate, " "...
    C.) Hate, " "...
    D.) Hate, " "...
    E.) Indifferent, blah blah blah...

There it is... E.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Mancave reminds me of guys wearing penny loafers and khakis while riding their Harley.

Sitting in my office in khakis and loafers now.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Would you rather they buy an already faded leather or denim jacket with a spider batch on the back?

#82 3 years ago

I'm just a caveman. I fell in some ice, and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me. But what I do know is this: the term Man Cave is neither sophisticated nor clever.

#83 3 years ago

It's not poorly written. The question is exclusively regarding the "hate" for the term and the response options follow the topic. If the question was "why do you like blah blah" then the options should include reasons to "like". It's a normal survey type question designed to gather qualitative data about a specific viewpoint. Biases are implied. The huge issue is when the results are stated as an all encompassing opinion on the subject. (See all the poll results from the various slanted news shows).

#84 3 years ago

I'm not a fan of the term man-cave, and would never use it, but a name I dis-like more is "she-shed". Since I took over all the free space in our house with pins, my wife has decided to build another building on our land as an art studio, and insists on calling it a she-shed. I've told her if she keeps calling that we aren't building it, but now she uses it even more often just to torture me.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from sckurk:

but a name I dis-like more is "she-shed".

Yeah I didn't hear this till recently. Looks like it's here to stay.

#86 3 years ago

Looks too narrow to run a row of pinballs down each long wall so what else was the guy going to do with that space?
    -S

3f6202a4ee404eb8f8bf77f61e1eff9f7df98010_(resized).jpg

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sliderpoint:

It's not poorly written. The question is exclusively regarding the "hate" for the term and the response options follow the topic. If the question was "why do you like blah blah" then the options should include reasons to "like". It's a normal survey type question designed to gather qualitative data about a specific viewpoint. Biases are implied. The huge issue is when the results are stated as an all encompassing opinion on the subject. (See all the poll results from the various slanted news shows).

I wasn't implying the poll was poorly written. I was implying my recollection of poorly written exam questions that all answers were basically the same thing and then one answer stood out.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from sckurk:

insists on calling it a she-shed

Kinda redundant and takes waaaaay too much time to say. Just call it a SHEd.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Man cave sounds like a place where the sun doesn't shine.

Sooo you like it then.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from BangBackula:

Kinda redundant and takes waaaaay too much time to say. Just call it a SHEd.

I'm in. We break ground on our new SHEd this weekend, should be plenty of room in there for more pins.

#91 3 years ago

Man Cave sounds wrong in many ways, kinda like a dark smelly place.

#92 3 years ago

I think you guys need to get your balls out of your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend (to be politically correct) purse.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Because "Girl Grotto" sounds so much better.

Women. Adult females are called women. Girls are younger than 18.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from kayluh:

Girls are younger than 18.

I think that's 16 in Washington

#95 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#96 3 years ago

I have a "man house", does that count?
    A "den" is too small.
    It might be polarizing, but I really don't care.
    I also have been married or remain with people that can "tolerate" my eclectic hobbies and my preference of wearing closed sandals.
    Life is more than pinball, and you have to be who YOU ARE, not what somebody else wants you to be.
    I learned this two decades ago.

8b9b163ce162150d330820d39304a24d4a9d9bfe_(resized).jpg

#97 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#98 3 years ago

mancave implies women aren't welcome. My wife plays and a lot of wives could care less about pinball.. I know at least 3 locals who's wives do, and they'd never call it a mancave either.

#99 3 years ago

The first time I heard "man cave" I didnt like. To me it sounds like a term made up by women who don't understand men. ...or a marketing phrase made up to sell crap that men are supposed to like and put in their man-cave. I accept the term as I hear it regularly. I have a modest collection of 4 pins plus Foosball table, Ping-Pong table, a bar, etc... When we are entertaining and people come downstairs thats when I hear "man-cave." Its meant to be complimentary, so its cool. Id be in a spot if someone gave me a neon man-cave sign, cause, it too would be a nice gesture, but I just couldnt put it up...

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

mancave implies women aren't welcome. My wife plays and a lot of wives could care less about pinball.. I know at least 3 locals who's wives do, and they'd never call it a mancave either.

It's only implied if you if you think it is.
    The word ManCave doesn't exactly say "No Woman Allowed"

I think people are too sensitive nowadays.
    If someone doesn't like that I call my Basement a ManCave then they don't have to set foot in it.
    If I call it my BatCave, and Batman gets upset, well, then he doesn't have to come over either. We definitely won't want Batman to get upset.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 88.00
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 30.40
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside