• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Songjackpot.jpg
Songbonus.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why people are saying things like...

Quoted from VisitorQ:

I prefer a game with modes and although AC/DC does have them, it's just not the same as most other games. When you complete a mode you really don't know or feel like you did.

or...

Quoted from PinCrush:

I also prefer modes to have an "ending". I want to beat them, to finish the mode with some sort of fanfare and sense of accomplishment.

Simply put, AC/DC has very few audio cues. Players have relied on audio clues for so many years, they've become part of the background. Something that's expected. A player does something good, the game makes a sound confirming to the player that he has made a good shot. That's how it's always been. Sure, the DMD also gives the players feedback, but the player can't look up very much. Audio cues are way more important. Now that AC/DC has taken most all of them away (or made them extremely subtle), people are confused. Now the only clues are the lights on the playfield.

For everyone, the learning curve on this game is longer. Even good players are taking longer to figure it out. A top 20 player recently told me he's shooting the bell with a backhand more after seeing me do it. And I'm not even a top 500 player. For some players, they will never get used to it. Those folks have to have the audio confirmation or it didn't happen.

To me, this is a good thing on a number of levels. Steve and Lyman have rewritten what a music pin should be. They (music pins) should've always been only about the music. Why on earth did it take this long to figure it out? The longer learning curve is awesome. Great for ops. While I enjoy games like IM and Tron, I figured out strategies for those games relatively quick. I still have a lot to learn on AC/DC and I've spent dozens of hours on both a pro and a premium. Monster learning curve.

People have suggested online for years that games need to 'teach' more to get the video game aged folks more up to speed. Now they've taken away a major tool from the player and people like it. Following this logic, games should get harder and harder in the near future. What if the next game didn't have any sounds OR lights? Can't wait!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe more audio cues will be added in future updates.

I don't think so. One clue is that Instant Info gives way more info than other Lyman games. Want to know how many VIP passes you have left? II will tell you. Want to know how many balls you have locked on Spidey? II won't tell you on that game. They've taken away from the player in one area and given back in another. Not an even trade, but I'm not complaining.

3 months later
#23 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

The biggest problem with song selection is it shows you the first shot in a mode, but then you're supposed to shoot other shots after you make the first one to complete the mode and score points. It's somewhat pointless and steers the player in the wrong direction. The color LEDs helped a bit. But I still see players shooting the same shot over and over and wondering why nothing is happening.

It steers the player in the direction that scores the most points. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to reach Encore (and score even more points), you need to completely ignore the flashing lights. Complete song requests, switch songs when jukebox is lit. That's it. Ignore the flashing lights.

It's not an easy game for casual players. The theme (music) is the draw for them. The louder it's turned up, the more it earns.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Jim, With that many games under your belt, I'd say that makes you the preeminent AC/DC expert here on Pinside. Given your vast knowledge of the game, I think you would be the perfect candidate to write a tutorial explaining all the intricacies of the ruleset.

I nominate SolarRide:

Quoted from SolarRide:

it starts out at 5 more shots for Jam MB to re-lite the super and increases from there to re-lite it. I believe there is maximum and it might be 10 shots on factory settings.

These supers can be huge if you've hit the set of 20 ramp jackpot shots that light the 1st super jackpot (the value of all super jackpots is the sum of the 20 ramp jackpots) with a 2x/3x playfield multiplier, inlane 2x, roving multiplier (v1.61), and/or combo ramps (the jackpots increase in value with combo shots to the ramps). 40 M super is quite doable with proper strategy. And of course the 40M super can then be multiplied further with the playfield multiplier and roving white note (hitting flashing thunderstruck target during thunderstruck song starts roving multiplier).

Can MC get his head around all that? And SR doesn't even own one!

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I'm not sure the Song Jackpot high score counts song bonus's collected during multiball. Pretty sure it's only a cannon shot song jackpot.

I caught the tail end of this and his song jackpot was 179M and change. Then when the game was over, it gave him song champion (along with a few other things) for only ~44M. Looked like the same jackpot to me. The multiplier was the only thing missing.

Because it wasn't a huge game (he wasn't familiar with this particular game), I think he's right.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I does not count as a song jackpot because it is a album bouns.

But he got his initials up for Song Bonus Champion with the exact same jackpot, minus the multiplier. If it counts the jackpot, it should count the multiplier too.

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

The HS board is "song jackpot" score, not "song bonus".

You're right. I really need to get one. Bad game to learn only on location.

Quoted from DNO:

You can get a higher SB than SJ.

Maybe he could add some text to distinguish the two? (when the jackpot is collected) Something like: "4X SONG BONUS!" below the actual jackpot value? Or maybe he just figures we should just know (learn) these things.

Quoted from SolarRide:

Or just have it say "Song Champion" conditionally followed by "(bonus)" or "(cannon)" depending on how it was collected.

Considering how hard it is to reach Encore, I vote for initials for both too.

#110 11 years ago

I don't understand why some peoe are confused. It says "Song Jackpot Champion" not "Song Bonus Champion"

They are both the same value. Which of the two pics below is the song bonus and which is the song jackpot?

Songbonus.jpgSongbonus.jpg Songjackpot.jpgSongjackpot.jpg

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The 2nd pic is of the total of the Jackpot collected & the Song Bonus.

WRONG! The math doesn't add up. Check it yourself.

Actually, you're right. Point being, it's easy to confuse the two. Especially when you don't own one.

Do you know why the math is slightly off?

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So how is the math off???

It's not. I just wanted to see how long I could keep you in suspense. Looks like right around 7 hours.

If you get how all the supers work (loops/lanes/targets/combos), I'm sure many would love to hear about it. I get the lanes and targets, but I'm not real clear on loops and combos yet. I also know how to switch between them, but you might want to go over that too.

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So your goal was to just try n confuse people by posting the 2 pics?

No. Just you. Looks like it worked. d

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-acdc-is-so-hard-and-confusing?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.